Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
Americanization. Warning. Post if u want, no 1 is forcing u Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Americanization is...
  an overflowing Coke that we will drown in.
  not as bad as we make it out to be.
  the hypocracy of the USA.
  non-existent.
  I came to get the gold. oh there it is!
View Results

Hermit of the Hills

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:34 pm
Ozumou
better start being VERY nice to China people.
Nah. India. At this rate they'll overtake China soon, unless they get blown up by Pakistan.

Anyway, it's always been the case with world powers - extending their influence any way they could. I mean, it was really all really France and Britain until about WWII. I think it's only all the scarier now because of the rate at which American culture seems to be spreading thanks to the advent of things such as TV and the internet.

Still, it freaks me out too. You could probably count on fingers and toes the number of TNCs ruling the world right now. A global culture does have some benefits, but the thought of a world with nations so similar is really unappealing. I'm not saying that everyone's going to be exactly like America, but there IS going to be (further) significant damage to the individuality of cultures.

What makes it worse is that there's absolutely no way of stopping it. First world countries are already caught in the cycle, and developing ones have to conform to western modes of business etc. to succeed, and in doing so often strive to become like America as they see it as an ideal. No nation can really succeed these days without opening itself up to trade and thus predominant western influences. Yes, it irritates the crap out of me, but... yes. GAAARGH.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:20 am
Hermit of the Hills
Ozumou
better start being VERY nice to China people.
Nah. India. At this rate they'll overtake China soon, unless they get blown up by Pakistan.

Anyway, it's always been the case with world powers - extending their influence any way they could. I mean, it was really all really France and Britain until about WWII. I think it's only all the scarier now because of the rate at which American culture seems to be spreading thanks to the advent of things such as TV and the internet.

Still, it freaks me out too. You could probably count on fingers and toes the number of TNCs ruling the world right now. A global culture does have some benefits, but the thought of a world with nations so similar is really unappealing. I'm not saying that everyone's going to be exactly like America, but there IS going to be (further) significant damage to the individuality of cultures.

What makes it worse is that there's absolutely no way of stopping it. First world countries are already caught in the cycle, and developing ones have to conform to western modes of business etc. to succeed, and in doing so often strive to become like America as they see it as an ideal. No nation can really succeed these days without opening itself up to trade and thus predominant western influences. Yes, it irritates the crap out of me, but... yes. GAAARGH.

Luff.

I don't think I need to state my views, I've already done it like three times in this thread.  

WellzY
Crew

Hermit of the Hills

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:52 am
WellzY
EmWah
I highly doubt that. In a few hundred years America will go the way of most super powers which grow arrogant and in their own strength. Their empire will crumble and some other nation will assume top spot in the pecking order.

That's if there are enough resources left on the planet to support another seried of global-power struggles.

Ozumou -- So true, but same sort of principle. If China lived at the same standard as Australians, or worse yet Amercans, we'd all be ******** class="clear">
That is a point. Everyone, understandably, wants the living standards of somewhere such as the U.S. (or the living standards they see at least), all at the cost of the environment. I doubt we're ever going to be able to strike a balance between comfortable living and sustainability because making concessions for the environment takes money that should be lining the pockets of multinationals or governments.

Thinking about this stuff always gets me depressed. gonk  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces