Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Wiccans Hating Wiccans: The fight for what's right? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eric Wolfborn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:06 pm

LilaMalvae
READ ME

Don't pay attention to those three. They all go around to the same threads and prey on people, no matter what they say. Anything they think they can pick apart... they've done it to me several times. Nuri, Tea, and Deo are very smart but they always have to prey on others. It's pathetic. If they actually applied what they knew and actually tried to care about others, they would be great, but until then they will continue to go around trying to prove that they are some kind of god, and that everyone else is inferior and can't possibly know anything.

I think it's actually petty that they go to the same exact threads, validating each other's statements and trying to pull it off like they're just randomly coming across the threads at once with no familiarity. But strangely, if you watch their post histories, they always post in tandem.

Someone sounds bitter.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:52 pm

LilaMalvae
READ ME

Don't pay attention to those three. They all go around to the same threads and prey on people, no matter what they say. Anything they think they can pick apart... they've done it to me several times. Nuri, Tea, and Deo are very smart but they always have to prey on others. It's pathetic. If they actually applied what they knew and actually tried to care about others, they would be great, but until then they will continue to go around trying to prove that they are some kind of god, and that everyone else is inferior and can't possibly know anything.

I think it's actually petty that they go to the same exact threads, validating each other's statements and trying to pull it off like they're just randomly coming across the threads at once with no familiarity. But strangely, if you watch their post histories, they always post in tandem.

Tea, I think, can be a bit of a drama queen on occasion- and yes, I think that sometimes she does argue simply for the sake of arguing. Furthermore, she does not place a high value on candy-coated words or pulling punches, so it can get messy if you're not careful (and our friend baited the bear with her very first word wink ). Deo I have not encountered as much. I know Nuri from another guild, however, where the three are members, and I have known Nuri to pull Tea off of people and ask her to play nice. So I doubt that the three are in cahoots with each other in quite the way that you seem to be implying.

You accuse them of "trying to make it look" casual, but I don't think there's anything artificial about it. There's nothing wrong with posting your thoughts in an interesting thread, it's not unusual for certain people to show up at the same sorts of threads if they share an interest in the subject material, and if they are chatting amongst themselves about that shared interest and following each other around as interesting threads show up, so what? Why would they have to explain themselves for that, or apologize at all? That's normal use of the boards. If all they're guilty of is supporting each other's arguments and making statements with which you don't agree, well, that's not very damning. Your accusations sound a bit paranoid, honestly.^_^'

But whatever the case, in this thread they do happen to be correct. wink

WebenBanu

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:09 pm

LilaMalvae
READ ME

1) Buck up kid. They know their s**t. If they correct you, learn from it.

2) It is random or casual that they come across the threads. It is when *I* come across the threads. If I see a thread that catches my interest or that I'm familiar with the subject matter... Guess what... I LOOK! They're familiar with the material and accurate information. As such they are capable of contributing such information to the discussion. Dont like it? Tough luck. Its often a public forum, and the guild forums their in, well... Unless its your guild there isnt much say in it.

3) They DO care about others. Thats why they dont bullshit them. Thats why they are straight forward and treat them as adults rather than coddling them and misleading them.

4) Understand that just because someone is blunt. They arent out to get you. They arent trying to be condescending. They arent playing games. They're M&R regulars for pete's sake. What do you expect?! Read the M&R rules. They basically use them as general standards for all their Gaia interactions. Why? Because their good rules to go by.

Now if you'd get over the persecution complex and get to know them... They are really awesome people. Reagun too.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:16 pm

WebenBanu

I know Nuri from another guild, however, where the three are members, and I have known Nuri to pull Tea off of people and ask her to play nice.

*cough* I've had all three of them, Tea included... "Pull me off" of people at one point or another... Aggressively speaking... I was the more aggressive of them at one point... Back when I was on all the time. sweatdrop
So no, definately not conspiring against others. They keep each other in check alot of the time.

StrawberryGumiho

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:18 am

LilaMalvae
READ ME

Ya...they dont. I know all 3, and all they are doing is believe it or not, following M&R rules. People assert they are Wiccan, they ask for proof. Plain and simple. Admitidly, they can get snappy at times, but so can all of the M&R regulars. We get LOTS of idiots in there, and it gets annoying trying to say "Hey, this page says you're wrong", and then the go off on you for pursecution (but then they shouldnt have gone in a debate form)...

And on that note (and a completely different one). I am one of the people who agrees that non-lineaged Wicca isnt Wicca. Simply because I've heard it down from lineaged Wiccans that Gardner intended for his religion to be passed down from coven to coven, with the mysteries included. Now, considering that all of the mysteries are oathbound, the name of the God and Goddess are oathbound, if you read it in a book, how are you sure that it is the God and Goddess of Wicca, and the Wiccan Mysteries? I assume that the Wiccan Tradititons (the lineaged ones) are similar to the Christian denominations, in that they just interpret their religion differently. Catholics and Lutherans read the bible differently, and will get 2 different things out of certain bible verses.

Also, one can pick up the bible, read it, and become Christian. But what if the bible wasnt avaliable at a store, churches closed their doors to the public, and no Christian was allowed to talk about what they believe? No one would have a clue about what it is that Christians believed, what (if any) God(s)/Goddess(es) they worshiped, or what they tought. Basicly, what I just did was turn Christianity into an example of Wicca. Ignoring all those books on Wicca for a second, because that is non-oathbound material (which from what I've heard doesnt mean squat), we have no idea:
1) What the Wiccans believe (Mysteries)
2) Who they worship (Name of the God and Goddess)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:19 am

Regardless of what certain individuals on Gaia may or may not be 'up to,' there's no doubt in my mind that LilaMalvae is unique in her asessment. People will react to things in different ways, and hopefully the concerned individuals are aware of how they sometimes can come off.

What irritates me most, however, about the whole issue, is the prevaling attitude of "I'm right and you're wrong" or "this isn't just my opinion, it's a fact written in stone" when things are far from being that cut and dry. Boiling it down, I think both positions are by their nature correct, though I tend to support the Progressive/Dedicatory side of things because the consequences of that view are more to my prefference, not neccesarily because I believe that position is more correct. I want to see both Traditional Wicca AND Dedicatory Wicca flourish in their own ways.

Were the one-sided sentimentality to dissapear from all the "Wiccan FAQs" and such that are often around, I'd be ecstatically happy. I've always been strongly in favor of asserting and teaching the distinctions between Traditional Wicca and Dedicatory Wicca, but quite against saying "one of these is the right way and the other isn't and can in no way be called Wicca." People can understand these distinctions and it isn't neccesary to be one-sidedly polarized about it. Doing this would also eliminate much of the biting hostility, borderline prejudcie, and occasional flaming that happens whenever the other side pops in.

But then, I'm not naive enough to believe this will actually happen. stare

Starlock
Crew

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:02 am

Why should the onesided mentality drop?

Trad Wicca is WICCA. Initiates are WICCANS... Why should they have to change their religion simply because others want it to be easier or switched around to their preferences?

Just because a religious orientation is BASED on a religion doesnt make it of that religion. Thats like saying Christianity is the same thing as Judeism and that we should concider them such regardless of differences simply because they do have quite abit in common since Judeism is the root of Christianity.

They do state fact, not opinion. I'm sorry if that bugs you but Wicca IS a mystery based, initiatory religion and the title Wiccan is not inclusive of all followers of Wicca. Thats how it was created, thats how its maintained.

Opinion is : "I think Neo-Wicca and Wicca should be concidered the same."

Fact is: " Wicca is a very structured, mystery religion that is a priesthood unto itself and to become part of that priesthood you must be initiated."

And Tea and them do know they can get out of hands at times. Like I said, they check each others behaviour when one gets out of hand. They even debate and contradict each other quite abit.

Hell, Tea SUPPORTS the ideal of non-initiates being called Wiccan. But she isnt going to ignore facts just because she doesnt fully agree with them.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:32 am

Perhaps you're misunderstanding what I'm saying here... though perhaps not. I am NOT saying that initiated Wiccans aren't Wiccan. To say otherwise is ludicrous. Nor am I saying that Wicca ISN'T mystery based, initatory. What I AM saying is that while this describes Wicca, there are OTHER things that can ALSO be described as Wicca. I am NOT saying that Dedicatory Wicca and Traditional Wicca should be considered the same. They AREN'T the same. Neither are any two denominations in ANY religion. Yes, it IS a fact that Wicca is "a very structured, mystery religion that is a priesthood unto itself... etc" But it is ALSO a fact that the term Wicca is used to describe things OTHER than that specific definition. See the distinction I'm making here?

Which SET of facts you choose to pay attention to is why it becomes a matter of opinion whether or not you acknowledge one, neither, or both. Does that clear things up?

Starlock
Crew

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:09 am

[ Message temporarily off-line ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Don't get me wrong, I don't happen to believe that dedicatory wicca is really wicca. And I really get irked when somebody who knows better calls me wiccan, simply because I've never made that statement about myself.
What I was trying to do was be general, people have their own beliefs, and if somebody really thinks there is a way to be wiccan and not be formally initiated, who the ******** am I to tell them they're wrong.
That's also where I get the so-called "persecution complex", I suppose. They might be right some of the time but that doesn't mean that what they're doing is right. They have harassed me several times and I'm not going to withdraw that statement, nor will I try to "learn something" just because everyone says they're right and sometimes PEOPLE JUST HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE WRONG. Who the ******** is anybody to tell me what to think?
Yes, I know Nuri has pulled them off people, but only when it's gotten ridiculously out of hand.
I don't care if they're your friends. They can treat people better.
Also, have any of you considered the possibility of a and b both being correct? It happens sometimes, you know.
And apparently I'm not unique in my theory about them since otherwise this F-ING THREAD WOULDN'T EXIST.

Sorry for being defensive but some things that you all said were things I found offensive. Did you not read the part where I said they were very intelligent? Are you people here to pick out the things you find controversial or are you actually reading for the sake of it?

Lila Malvae

Lila Malvae

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:40 pm

Shimegamis_Rage
LilaMalvae
READ ME

2) It is random or casual that they come across the threads. It is when *I* come across the threads. If I see a thread that catches my interest or that I'm familiar with the subject matter... Guess what... I LOOK! They're familiar with the material and accurate information. As such they are capable of contributing such information to the discussion. Dont like it? Tough luck. Its often a public forum, and the guild forums their in, well... Unless its your guild there isnt much say in it.

3) They DO care about others. Thats why they dont bullshit them. Thats why they are straight forward and treat them as adults rather than coddling them and misleading them.

4) Understand that just because someone is blunt. They arent out to get you. They arent trying to be condescending. They arent playing games. They're M&R regulars for pete's sake. What do you expect?! Read the M&R rules. They basically use them as general standards for all their Gaia interactions. Why? Because their good rules to go by.

Now if you'd get over the persecution complex and get to know them... They are really awesome people. Reagun too.

1) Don't call me kid. You are not familiar with me, and frankly, you have NO IDEA how old I am. Other people can be correctly informed as well. They aren't Thoth himself.
2) That may be true, and I take that into consideration, but I've seen it way too damn much, and their posts are often very close in timing to each other. Pay attention! I don't care if it's a public forum, they're still victimizing people when they do stuff like this.
3) that is not treating people like adults. "Treating someone as an adult" means negotiation, means conversation, which means talking with people instead of talking at them. Picking apart things that people say, like both of us are doing here and like what I've seen the three of them do, is churlish, petty, and demeaning.

Honestly I'm tired of fighting with you. Anytime I say something controversial (which apparently criticising somebody for being a bully is controversial here), I am accused of being unknowledgeable or dramatic. Hell yes, I'm bitter. Nobody likes being shredded by the wolves. I really don't like having to defend my opinions in this way, mostly because I'm the one who looks like I'm starting a fight and it's ridiculous because I didn't start s**t in the first place. It's my opinion that those three do that, and-- for example-- you do have the right to tell me I'm wrong and similarly, tell your friends to continue where you left off, that doesn't mean you should. I've been accused of not wanting opposition at all by those three, which simply isn't true. Its great that you have a different opinion than mine, but just because an opinion or theory happens to be the popular one doesn't make any dissenting theories or opinions incorrect, false, not based in fact, and so on.

You can have your opinion, so please let me keep mine.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:19 pm

LilaMalvae
Shimegamis_Rage
LilaMalvae
READ ME

1) Don't call me kid. You are not familiar with me, and frankly, you have NO IDEA how old I am. Other people can be correctly informed as well. They aren't Thoth himself.
2) That may be true, and I take that into consideration, but I've seen it way too damn much, and their posts are often very close in timing to each other. Pay attention! I don't care if it's a public forum, they're still victimizing people when they do stuff like this.
3) that is not treating people like adults. "Treating someone as an adult" means negotiation, means conversation, which means talking with people instead of talking at them. Picking apart things that people say, like both of us are doing here and like what I've seen the three of them do, is churlish, petty, and demeaning.

Honestly I'm tired of fighting with you. Anytime I say something controversial (which apparently criticising somebody for being a bully is controversial here), I am accused of being unknowledgeable or dramatic. Hell yes, I'm bitter. Nobody likes being shredded by the wolves. I really don't like having to defend my opinions in this way, mostly because I'm the one who looks like I'm starting a fight and it's ridiculous because I didn't start s**t in the first place. It's my opinion that those three do that, and-- for example-- you do have the right to tell me I'm wrong and similarly, tell your friends to continue where you left off, that doesn't mean you should. I've been accused of not wanting opposition at all by those three, which simply isn't true. Its great that you have a different opinion than mine, but just because an opinion or theory happens to be the popular one doesn't make any dissenting theories or opinions incorrect, false, not based in fact, and so on.

You can have your opinion, so please let me keep mine.

If you don't want an opinion challenged, keep it to yourself. The point of expressing opinions in a public forum is to have them challenged.

Eric Wolfborn

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:40 pm

Lila and Rage, both of you need to calm down.

Lila, I understand that you don't like your beliefs challenged like that, but there's no need to lose your temper. We come here to share our opinions.

Rage, play nice. This guild is here to share opinions without being attacked, so keep your posts non-offensive.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:45 am

*blinks* But... I was calm...

And no more offensive or insulting than she was in regards to individuals I concider my Gaian friends. I've had heated debates with Nuri, Tea and Deo... And conversed and discussed with them since I joined Gaia a long while ago.

They correct her or disagree with her opinions or theories and state why.
That is NOT victimizing.

I contested her statement and (by the way lila) did NOT call out my friends to pick up where I left off. Nor do I ever, I'm more than capable to layout my points alone.

As to tearing apart posts. They arent doing it to be condescending.
When a post is long or has many points the respondee needs to address, its much clearer if the individual dissects the post into quotes and addresses each point in turn so that there is no confusion as to what specifically is being referred to at any given time. Its something you pick up in debate forums that is also very useful outside of debate forums.

As to their posting times. So what? They're friends and frequent the same discussion areas as well as are online usually about the same times. Your point? Do they have to wait a certain amount of time before posting in the same thread?

Or treating people like adults could mean the person should be mature enough to have their opinions contested, accept corrections, listen to contestation or opinions regarding personal theories or handle the simple manner of debate... All without getting irate.

And as Eric said. If you dont want anyone questioning or contesting your opinions, dont post them in a Public forum.

Your also the only one thinking of this as a fight. Every time I question you, you claim its fighting. Seriously, your going to have to get used to it.
Questioning and disagreements are a common part of human interaction. Especially in forums.

You slandered / insulted Deo, Tea and Nuri's character... Regardless of your assumptions and accusations against them, thats shoddy character on *your* part. Especially concidering they themselves arent hear to speak for themselves.

By all means, keep your opinion. Just dont get all hackled when its questioned or contested.

(Nihlist: Civil enough? I seriously to not let the blunt come across as offensive. If it did, at least I gave it a shot.)

StrawberryGumiho

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:28 am

I think it would be wise to throw personal attacks out the window here. Don't do it. I think we all have reservations of one kind or another about SOMEONE on Gaia, but by the Gods... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't slander other people's names. Sure, it doesn't speak well of the target of the slander, but it doesn't speak well of the slanderer either. If you have a problem with a specific person on Gaia, take it up with that person via PM... don't bash their name in an open forum, even if it is a relatively closed guild like this one.

I've got my own issues with how the education on Wicca goes on in the forums, but honestly, in spite of the times they've (and I'm not just using "they" to refer to the people who have been discussed here already, but ANYONE who semi-regularily contributes which is a considerably longer list of people) crossed the line there's been more times when they've done an admirable job. I do think there are valid reasons for concern as Lila brings light to. But as I said, these aren't things that aught to be discussed here. They aught to be discussed with the people in question when they're present themselves to listen, defend, and explain their actions. Text-only communication is nutorious for misunderstandings, so aim to rectify them, not multiply them, eh?

Anyhoo... there's my 2-cents (plus any adjustment for inflation of course... heh)
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff