View Results

Illuminee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:18 am
It's okay... I guess.
Since that's where I shop.

^-^;;

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:40 am
I love Hot Topic..
I do see alot of preppy people in there but the people who work there... or customers usually give them horrible looks and/or growl and they scamper off.  

RobynCorynne

Lexiegirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:58 am
Calling each other "posers" is just putting you one step closer to becoming a chav. talk2hand It doesn't matter where we shop, all that matters is that deep down you are really living the goth lifestyle. 3nodding To catogorize someone where they shop is just like being a prep, because thats what they do. We're a minority, so we should stick together, not call each other names and base each other by where we shop. 3nodding Well atleast thats how I feel about it. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:17 pm
zz1000zz
OverlordMMM
......does anyone have any better terms than poser and mainstream......they don't really fit the context of what we're talking about right....

Sure they do.

Poser: Anybody doing what i did first.
Mainstream: Whatever anybody else likes; not cool.

They fit perfectly!

By your definition of poser wouldn't that make most people out there who are goth, punk or emo, posers by the sheer fact that they didn't create the sub-culture and they are not the first? Wouldn't that make all of us posers with a possible unique twist that naturally occurs in any typr of sub-culture or clothing style? Also you couldn't possible always be anit-mainstream, as much as we all like to think we're not sheep following a trend at some point or another we miust have followed the mainstream be it that barney doll rotting in your closet or the clothes you coveted as a child you couldn't have been a rebel or utterly unique from the time you were born or cognisant of the world around you.  

MerrickTheDarkOne

[-Alluring Enchantress-]

3,900 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:50 pm
Lexiegirl
Calling each other "posers" is just putting you one step closer to becoming a chav. talk2hand It doesn't matter where we shop, all that matters is that deep down you are really living the goth lifestyle. 3nodding To catogorize someone where they shop is just like being a prep, because thats what they do. We're a minority, so we should stick together, not call each other names and base each other by where we shop. 3nodding Well atleast thats how I feel about it. sweatdrop

You have a good point.

And just so you know...I wasn't saying anything bad about people who shop at Hot Topic...I was just wondering everyones thoughts. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:52 pm
I have seen preps in Hot Topic, and every time I do, I think to myself, "What are they doing here?"  

Elven-Lied-Fan

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:40 pm
I have never been in a Hot Topic seeing as there are not any in my area, I wouldn't consider a person who shops at Hot Topic a poser. It's only a place to buy clothes. Mainly I get clothes from Wal Mart.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:06 pm
I have a few things from there, but I don't like most of their stuff. It is a good place to get Net Shirts though. 3nodding  

100-Percent Queer

Acerbus nox noctis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:26 pm
As many have said before me, Hot Topic is quite convenient for those who are unable to shop online or just need the occasional eyeliner or nail polish. I have read many of the previous posts about how everyone is so annoyed about preps shopping in there, but do you know for a fact that they are preps? I know that so many of you always say that you hate being labeled, and furthermore, stereotyped simply by the way you look, but in turn you are doing exactly that.

Just because you are gothic does not mean you have to dress in any of the various styles that are currently popular to the gothic subculture, be it Victorian, etc. Many merely find other clothes more comfortable, or like a certain style more. Does that make them poseurs? No.

Anyway, I would like to say that I believe Hot Topic started out as a great idea when it opened 10 years ago, and had a good purpose. Today, though I think it was not their original intention, people shop there solely for the purpose that if they do, they will be deemed gothic. If this is what society thinks makes them gothic, the true essence and point of the whole subculture may be lost. I think that this is where misunderstandings, as well as other stereotypes, may arise about being a goth. But alas, I shall not deem it a "poseur" store, because anyone is allowed to shop there, but I will say that it may very well be, though I know you hate the term, mainstream. I mostly like the fact that I can find a lot of band t-shirts there, though I only shop there occasionally.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:45 pm
Ever since the whole emo scene blew up, the Hot Topic I shop at has been selling about 70 percent emo merch and the rest is their regular stuff. I've been dissapointed in them lately, but I know that eventually the whole emo scenester thing will fade out and (hopefully) Hot Topic will be back to it's old self again. Hopefully that will happen before I have the time to submit my application for a job there.  

Dracula Vampirate

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:28 pm
MerrickTheDarkOne
zz1000zz
OverlordMMM
......does anyone have any better terms than poser and mainstream......they don't really fit the context of what we're talking about right....

Sure they do.

Poser: Anybody doing what i did first.
Mainstream: Whatever anybody else likes; not cool.

They fit perfectly!

By your definition of poser wouldn't that make most people out there who are goth, punk or emo, posers by the sheer fact that they didn't create the sub-culture and they are not the first? Wouldn't that make all of us posers with a possible unique twist that naturally occurs in any typr of sub-culture or clothing style? Also you couldn't possible always be anit-mainstream, as much as we all like to think we're not sheep following a trend at some point or another we miust have followed the mainstream be it that barney doll rotting in your closet or the clothes you coveted as a child you couldn't have been a rebel or utterly unique from the time you were born or cognisant of the world around you.

Exactly. See, i was showing the absurdity the common use of "poser" and "mainstream" entail. However, i was doing it through sarcasm and snide humor.

And, i was utterly unique all my life. After all, you are unique. Just like everyone else.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:16 pm
I shop frequently there for stockings and long socks.

But I might occasionally buy an outfit, usually on clearence and whatnot.
I always go in when I'm at the mall, and whne I buy it's only during sales.
:3

+Horror.in.Wonderland+

CandyCanexIsxDead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:01 am
Well, at points there are the little preppy people that come in just to look around and make fun of all the "devil-worshipers" that shop there and look for pink-shiny stuff, and all we do is give them a look and they hurry and walk out of the store and go next door to Hollister or Abercrombie & Finch or American Eagle. gonk

Since my cousin is the manager in Hot Topic, I get usually whatever with some type of discount, plus free tickets to local bands shows and stuff. So other than all the little preps that go in there to make fun and look at the pink stuff, it's cool with me. xd heart  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:48 am
If preps are in hot topic I don't see how anyone could label them as such because of how they are dressing, since they wouldn't be dressing like preps as Hot Topic isn't a "preppy" store, in the visual sense. Therefore the only way to judge them is by how they act so I don't quite see the logic behind that.

Also my explanation is a little confusing, so I'll make a picture of how I feel.

User Image

So as you can see here, goth is about being unique, and preppy is about following the crowd. It's both groups cut down to the very basics, summed up in a few words if you will. Now, Here we can see, Preppy McPrep sees hot topic. Thier friends all shop there, so they check it out. They come out with a cool outfit that makes them look "Totally Gothic! Hee hee!". They are doing it because it's such a popular place. Now Gothic McGoth ALSO shops there to express their individuality, but they are wearing the same thing as everyone else. Now, do they really look all that original? Or do they look the same as the preps? So if the crowd is shopping at hot topic, getting all the same outfits, and Gothic McGoth goes there and gets that outfit as well, are they really being their original gothic self? Or are they following the crowd like the other preps?

And to continue that, is a poser not someone who acts like a prep and calls themselves goth?

Not to mention the name "Hot Topic" is referring to the topic that is hot or the new fad, and fads are meant for everyone to follow.. not very gothic is it?

I'm sure this is one of many posts that will piss off many though... oh well, it needed to be said.  

Ndoki

[-Alluring Enchantress-]

3,900 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:51 am
@ Ndoki- You have a interesting but very true point.... 3nodding  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff