Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Oh my God.... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should it be done?
  No
  Yes
View Results

Rukoric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:48 am
Numbers? Since when? Ha, that's funny! Everyone knows that it's not okay to spell with numbers. My brother tried that on an essay once. Someone about simplified spelling(he had to ask me to figure out how to spell that). Unfortunately, since simplified spelling was the subject, he got a B. Even worse, the reason he got a B is because he couldn't spell the simplified words correctly.

As bad an analogy as that might be, Ando, you're right. It's just like Darkelf said. They're trying to raise literacy by lowering its standards.

People say that they hope this is a joke. Think about it: Stupid people never have a sense of humor. There's no way this could be a joke. Go to the Chatterbox. Or Barton Town. Type in complete sentences. People don't tend to like it. You won't get a bunch of happy people responding.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:24 am
I saw this in another guild...can't remember which one, though.

The thought of this just disgusts me. I had to read that article outloud to understand it, and I haven't had to do something like that since I was little.

This is just like the No Child Left Behind act. You bring all the smart kids down and all the not-so-smart kids up so we can live in a world with no extraordinary people and everyone is just sitting in the middle, everyone as smart as everyone else. It's stupid not to let the smarter kids excel...but now since the people who can't do things as well as the smarter kids begin to complain, we want to push for a median again.

I hate this. stressed I really hate this. scream It makes me cry. gonk  

RebelJediKnight06

Katleene-chan

6,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:09 am
That is just sad. Also even when they attempt to spell it phonetically, it makes it harder to read than originally were. It took a few seconds for me to figure out some words.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:02 pm
Who's the idiot who came up with that idea? Do they want to dumb America down even more?! I MEAN, COME ON, THIS IS JUST LAZINESS, PURE LAZINESS, DAMMIT!!! scream  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Lets_Play_Kill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:59 pm
I can't read that crap. It makes me feel dumb (not dum). I think that's one of the wrost ideas I've ever heard of. The nead to be slapped.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:03 am
Ugh, this is just like "Internet Slang" all over again.
This is a horrible tragedy! emo  

jocef_XP

Kitty444

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:29 pm
That aricle is horrible! It made me physically ill...why would people even think of doing that? It's disgusting! I know, english isn't the easiest language to spell in, I make spelling errors all the time, but that doesn't mean we should destroy the language! The article honestly looks like a three year old wrote half of it! They say America is headed in a good direction with each generation more intelligent than the last, but if what this article spoke of actually happens, I'm moving to another country. If we can't respect our language, I can't respect the country....so I can only hope this will stop. Now, I'm sorry, but I need to go calm myself, that article made me angry and sick...my apologies....goodbye.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:58 pm
Ow.  

Elanchana

Teh Caity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:24 pm
This language has taken thousands of years to develop. But screwing with the spelling, our society would be (is) throwing away years and years of history.

I think the reason children outside of the U.S. (languages other than english) catch on faster, is simply becasue of parents. American parents are not as involved as european parents.

In America we're more encouraged to sit on our butts watching T.V. than attempting to teach the alphabet to our children.

By changing the spellings of words in the English langauge to make them easier to spell, we're making it okay for parents across the U.S. to be uninvolved. Why change education for the parents who don't care? It makes no sence! GRAH!

Besides, if hope were to be spelt the way it sounds...it would still be spelt "hope"..."hoep" would be pronounces hoe-ehp

boo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:40 am
I only got through four of five paragraphs and coudn't read any further. That wouldn't help anything. The only thing that it would do was confuse people more who already have trouble spelling correctly.

CaRm3lCr3aM

Roane Farhall

Distinct Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:09 pm
eek It sounds like someone *cough* mole *cough* needs to die. ninja

The only thing that would do is confuse the kids who are smart and know how to spell. Instead of funding the schools programs to teach kids to spell the right way, they are trying to pull off a bull crap "Change the way to spell."

What that is doing is dragging the dreaded "txt tlk" in to real life... Save me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:21 pm
burning_eyes That article was painful. If something like that was to become mainstream I think I would need to kill someone/myself. Text talk online and on cell phones is hellish enough for me, but to endure teachers actually teaching that crap to children would be unbelievable. But hey, if that did become mainstream then at least we would be proving to the rest of the world that this county is indeed run by dumb shmucks. stare  

Cassandra-neko

Ghurdrich

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:11 pm
RebelJediKnight06
This is just like the No Child Left Behind act. You bring all the smart kids down and all the not-so-smart kids up so we can live in a world with no extraordinary people and everyone is just sitting in the middle, everyone as smart as everyone else. It's stupid not to let the smarter kids excel...but now since the people who can't do things as well as the smarter kids begin to complain, we want to push for a median again.

And don't forget. Once you dumb down english, math comes next. Once they are eliminated, science has to fall. With them gone, the only thing left is athletics. You can't very well dumb down gym, so the jocks will rule everything; First the school, then the businesses. The nerds will have nowhere to go. We will be back to square one, no more than pond scum, while the thick skulled brutes control the country/countries.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff