Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Words that irritate you when not written right Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Red-Chocolate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:22 pm
Have you checked some newspaper articles? They always have some improper grammar or spelling. crying What is happening to the world!! question  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:14 am
When people use an incorrect form of the word "too."

Timmy has too dogs, and five cats, two...

Seriously, how can anyone get that wrong? It's either to, too, or two. Sometimes I find it hilarious when people say something like, "Use proper grammer." Ha, ha, ha, ha...  

Danapal

]Impetigo[

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:21 pm
I absolutely hate it when certain individuals type out "ur" or "your" when it should be you're! For sanity's sake, I always say "you are" under my breath, upon seeing said word.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:09 pm
My manager at work writes "Wensday" on the schedule. mad  

Low-fat Llama Butter

SeeBeeFlee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:50 pm
"Mute point." I'm sorry, but the point happens to be "moot" not "mute." I see this in actual, printed novels that have supposedly been checked thoroughly by some kind of editor. (Forgive my wanton use of italics, but damn).

There is another small issue concerning the possessive that pops up quite often, and it irritates me to no end. If a person has a name that ends in an "s", then you still need to add another "s" to make it possessive. You don't just tack on the apostrophe and call it done, unless the thing that the person is possessing happens to start with an "s" or something sibilant.

It's James's chair, not James' chair, damn you all.

Also? "Separate." It's not terribly difficult to remember that the second vowel is an "a" as opposed to an "e".

Quote:
Have you checked some newspaper articles? They always have some improper grammar or spelling.

I've heard horror stories, and seen some of the miserable mistakes first hand. And the most depressing part? Quite a few newspapers don't care. Glaring grammatical errors prompt only a shrug instead of the rightful panic. They have ridiculously lazy copy editors or no copy editor at all. I worked for my high school newspaper, and we were fortunate enough to have a very competent copy editor and staff members who, generally speaking, cared about spelling things correctly and using the proper homonym. Sometimes we spent part of the class period hunched over the city's newspaper, or newspapers from other schools, not sure whether we should be laughing or crying.

It's come to a sad state of affairs when upstart teenagers have a better command of the English language than professional adults.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:15 am
I don't like it whe people mistake "your" and "you're" or "its" and "it's". And when people put "sing" instead of "sign" or vice versa.  

Elanchana

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:25 am
SeeBeeFlee
"Mute point." I'm sorry, but the point happens to be "moot" not "mute." I see this in actual, printed novels that have supposedly been checked thoroughly by some kind of editor. (Forgive my wanton use of italics, but damn).

There is another small issue concerning the possessive that pops up quite often, and it irritates me to no end. If a person has a name that ends in an "s", then you still need to add another "s" to make it possessive. You don't just tack on the apostrophe and call it done, unless the thing that the person is possessing happens to start with an "s" or something sibilant.

Also? "Separate." It's not terribly difficult to remember that the second vowel is an "a" as opposed to an "e".

Quote:
Have you checked some newspaper articles? They always have some improper grammar or spelling.

I've heard horror stories, and seen some of the miserable mistakes first hand. And the most depressing part? Quite a few newspapers don't care. Glaring grammatical errors prompt only a shrug instead of the rightful panic. They have ridiculously lazy copy editors or no copy editor at all. I worked for my high school newspaper, and we were fortunate enough to have a very competent copy editor and staff members who, generally speaking, cared about spelling things correctly and using the proper homonym. Sometimes we spent part of the class period hunched over the city's newspaper, or newspapers from other schools, not sure whether we should be laughing or crying.

It's come to a sad state of affairs when upstart teenagers have a better command of the English language than professional adults.

Then my GRAMMAR teacher has taught me wrong. And I was in a high class school.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:04 pm
Write, we know, when written right,
Should not be written right or wright.
Nor should it be written rite, but write.
Only then is it written right.  

Elanchana

SeeBeeFlee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:55 pm
Luna Ishukan
SeeBeeFlee

Quote:

Then my GRAMMAR teacher has taught me wrong. And I was in a high class school.

confused Sorry if I've offended you in some way. If you can tell me which part of the rant you take issue with, maybe we can...discuss it, somehow? I don't know.

In any event: this doesn't happen often (mostly in fanfic) but I do get a little bit frustrated when I see "peek" or "peak" being used in place of "pique."  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:56 am
Oh, and don't forget grammar vs. grammer.

We had that as a nevermiss word for the longest time.

Nevermiss = a special spelling test in the Montessori 9-12 class (those are the ages, not the grades) where the testing doesn't end until everyone gets 100%.  

Elanchana

gummybear_123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:58 pm
I hate it when people say 'y r u'. God, what happened to words. I also don't like it when people put 'i' instead of 'I'.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:12 pm
Elanchana
Oh, and don't forget grammar vs. grammer.

We had that as a nevermiss word for the longest time.

Nevermiss = a special spelling test in the Montessori 9-12 class (those are the ages, not the grades) where the testing doesn't end until everyone gets 100%.
That must be a helluva long day.

.Never.Forever.

Toshiatsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:12 am
Right -> "Rite"
I really hate that one scream .  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:20 pm
I can't stand it when people use "there's" to mean "there are."

there's = there is (singular)  

Hope Everlasting

Winter-san

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:35 pm
I hate what most everyone has been saying. I mean, honestly people. It's equals "it is" and its is the possesive. What is so HARD about that? Any error that I see makes me cringe and wish I had a direct line into the culprit's ear. So I could yell. Very loudly. ^_^

And misspelling right, write, and the whole two too to you your you're yours thing...........It's ANNOYING. Can I throttle those people!? Please!?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff