Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
What A Goth Is And Is NOT....(Got this from a site) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lolita no Kitsune

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:35 am
Where I do like the way some of the points are stated on the first post, I believe Nyed is right. All you really have to worry about is yourself. You know who you are and you can act upon that. Why does what everyone else think they are matter? You know what you are, how you apperciate things, and how who choose to be. Let them do what they do and be who they think they are.

When I was little, I believed I was a vampire and ran around the house biting people. I soon got over that, but I still love vampires. I guess I'm saying that what some people go through when they say things like "I'm goth because I listen to Marilyn Manson..." a phase. Most eventually get over it and become themselves.

Still, GilAskan, I do understand where you are coming from. You are definitely correct on your last statement about how we can gain perspective on ourselves. Still, taking to other people who 'say' that they're goths won't change what they think of themselves. It's better to let them do what they like and call themselves what they like. It's not you and it's not me, so who cares what they think?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:18 pm
Lolita no Kitsune
Where I do like the way some of the points are stated on the first post, I believe Nyed is right. All you really have to worry about is yourself. You know who you are and you can act upon that. Why does what everyone else think they are matter? You know what you are, how you apperciate things, and how who choose to be. Let them do what they do and be who they think they are.

When I was little, I believed I was a vampire and ran around the house biting people. I soon got over that, but I still love vampires. I guess I'm saying that what some people go through when they say things like "I'm goth because I listen to Marilyn Manson..." a phase. Most eventually get over it and become themselves.

Still, GilAskan, I do understand where you are coming from. You are definitely correct on your last statement about how we can gain perspective on ourselves. Still, taking to other people who 'say' that they're goths won't change what they think of themselves. It's better to let them do what they like and call themselves what they like. It's not you and it's not me, so who cares what they think?

CAn you repeat the red part again?
just cuse it makes me smile smile  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

fourtysecondscarf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:30 pm
[Reo]
this is bull you cant learn how to be goth
Lucifer_The_Death_Angel
thats exatly what he just said....did you actually read it?

or is that a typo?
what he means by "learn to be goth" is that you cant get into the scene with the intention of being a goth, you just have to adapt and absorb overtime...stop being an idiot....

also, lucifer, please post this in all posible forums GD ED CB and anywhere else you see fit....people need to see this!!!!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:58 pm
This was interesting... educational too. I liked it, thanks for posting it... and I agree, it would be good to let people see it who wouldn't ordinarily read it.  

Oterys

Neko Kyu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:35 pm
o.O.... wow... that article is... right on o.o;;  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:51 pm
I agree with most of the points and think that all who are not goth should be forced to read it. Too many times people just look at a goth and assume they do drugs, probably have a weird tatoo somewhere and are obsessed with death as explained in the article. This article does a good job of explaining the real average goth as opposed to what most people think.

Lexiegirl

AdrianaKitten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:32 am
Lexiegirl
I agree with most of the points and think that all who are not goth should be forced to read it. Too many times people just look at a goth and assume they do drugs, probably have a weird tatoo somewhere and are obsessed with death as explained in the article. This article does a good job of explaining the real average goth as opposed to what most people think.

Yeah I agree with that too.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:16 pm
Now if only they would teach kids this.
Sit them down and have a talk.
"NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY, YOU CANNOT TURN GOTH! LIKE YOU CAN'T TURN GAY! OR YOU CAN'T TURN BLACK! Either you are or you aren't, so snap out of it."

Then they would protest and insist they're goth and get all whiny. Funny.  

xxxdeletemexxx

Argetlam13

Shirtless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Summer Celebrant 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:42 pm
Nyed
GilAskan
Nyed
anybody sick of defining goth yet?
A goth knows goth.

There's a problem in that.

What if person who doesn't know what goth is thinks they themselves are a goth?

I remember the mallgoths of my highschool saying things like "I'm goth because I listen to Marilyn Manson," or "I'm a hardcore goth; I worship Satan and stuff."

By defining it from the third person (i.e. "Goth is _______" rather than "I am goth because ________"), and gaining the opinions of others, we're able to gain perspective on ourselves.

Then ive got a better question.

WHo cares?

Im not saying this to be immature. We just waste so much time defining something that doesnt really matter much anyways.
If your looking to gain innner knowalage or trying to define yourself from defining a group of people, youre heading down the wrong path. Try taking up a hobby.

Does it bother you that much? Somebody found an interesting post, and they agreed with it. They shared it with others, and some agreed, others didn't. If it bothers you that much, message me on your reasoning. But please, do not start flame battles. It is completely uncalled for.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:48 pm
Argetlam13
Nyed
GilAskan
Nyed
anybody sick of defining goth yet?
A goth knows goth.

There's a problem in that.

What if person who doesn't know what goth is thinks they themselves are a goth?

I remember the mallgoths of my highschool saying things like "I'm goth because I listen to Marilyn Manson," or "I'm a hardcore goth; I worship Satan and stuff."

By defining it from the third person (i.e. "Goth is _______" rather than "I am goth because ________"), and gaining the opinions of others, we're able to gain perspective on ourselves.

Then ive got a better question.

WHo cares?

Im not saying this to be immature. We just waste so much time defining something that doesnt really matter much anyways.
If your looking to gain innner knowalage or trying to define yourself from defining a group of people, youre heading down the wrong path. Try taking up a hobby.

Does it bother you that much? Somebody found an interesting post, and they agreed with it. They shared it with others, and some agreed, others didn't. If it bothers you that much, message me on your reasoning. But please, do not start flame battles. It is completely uncalled for.

Agreed...And If It Really Bothers You That Much....than why are you dragging this out?...no one said you had to like it. Some Hate It, Some Like It...All you had to do is say "you did not like it"..and go about your day. That or take it with a grain of salt and just say "Ok"  

Artica_Maius-The_Fox_Born

3,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Lolita no Kitsune

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:48 pm
Nyed
Lolita no Kitsune

CAn you repeat the red part again?
just cuse it makes me smile smile

Ahahaha!

-Repeats-
I believe Nyed is right.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:13 pm
that article is correct ^ ^  

m. schiste13

Tom Gunn 666

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:33 pm
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:51 pm
Well... I like it.

It's one of the first 'definitions' of goth that doesn't involve wearing black constantly. That bumps it up on the scale...

Though that comment under 'am I goth' or whatever, about "You are not afraid of the dark"?

I'm afraid of the dark, but for personal reasons.

Though of course if they mean the metaphorical dark, as in dark topics, dark times, dark subject ect. then I don't fear those.

I guess it depends on how deep this persons thoughts were.

Kupo Ikari

Adrastea Venaris

7,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:13 pm
I do believe they meant metaphorically,Kupo.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff