Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Whats ur favorite brand of yarn or type? (Knit & Crochet) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whats ur faved type of yarn for prodjects?
  worsted weight
  wool (or wool blends)
  alpaca (not sure I spelt that right)
  acrylic
  anything wierd and funky (hip notch)
  cashmiere
  rabbit fur yarn (forgot the name for rabbit yarn)
  micron fiber
View Results

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:45 am
Lee Kushrenada
my mom and dad just came back froma trip they took the the 2 of them...and they went to an alpacka farm..... and they got me a 30 dollar ball of yarn. gonk they must be crazy...do you know how much yarn or fabric I can get for 30 bucks!

How extremely sweet of them! Hopefully you will find the perfect pattern for that ball of alpaca.
I'm told we have an alpaca farm not too far from where I live although I thought it was a llama farm. I wonder if they spin the hair? I'd love to "pet" some yarn made from alpaca. I'm hoping to talk my family into going to the next "fiber festival" nearby.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:51 am
I like Noro 'cause it has such awesome funky colors.

But...it's expensive and I can't actually find any in my town XD

I like to work with wool and Caron, Caron mostly because it's cheap whee

Y'know I've never tried knitting with the Red Heart soft stuff. I hate their normal acrylic, but I shall have to purchase some soft and play with it XD  

psychofirewitch

Fashionable Lover

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:27 pm
I think the ball was 390 yards...or something like that... but its so thin...your suposed to use US 4's. sweatdrop
its really nice...but I feel like I'm unworthy to use it. sweatdrop ......... xd  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:47 pm
Wow, 4's? That must be some really thin stuff!

I voted for acrylic yarn - I love Red Heart especially for the price. ^^ (I'm a graduate student so I don't have mega-bucks to buy expensive yarn!) I also love how it's so easy to throw acrylic yarn into the washer and dryer. I use 100% cotton yarn for potholders and dishclothes, though.  

Brunette_Star

gemini6184

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:17 pm
Lee Kushrenada
I think the ball was 390 yards...or something like that... but its so thin...your suposed to use US 4's. sweatdrop
its really nice...but I feel like I'm unworthy to use it. sweatdrop ......... xd
You could re-roll it into two balls and use two strands as one.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:58 pm
ya I'm thinking I'm going to use it with another yarn... maybe I'll make a hat now that I just got my hair cut and its shorter than I'v had it in quite a wile. xd ....God damn that hair dresser.  

Lee Kushrenada

VP Club Freakin Justice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:13 am
NightRainSpirit
Naialyn
ALPACA!!

No particular brand, but I just love the way it feels. It's so incredibly soft. At a yarn store in Palm Springs I bought 10 150g hanks of it. Sooo soft....

OMG! I need to get my hands on some alpacca! I luv the way it feels and how unthick it is, but really warm.

Oh I do too! Alpaca is amazing.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:44 am
I really like cotton....so soft....Peaches & Creme is nice.....though....i get a lot of fuzzies working with cotton....  

Maki Minakoaino

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:27 pm
Fuzzies? Do you mean like the yarn frays? Or do you mean lint gets on it? (I have the lint problem with my cotton thread)  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:30 am
HOMG my mom bought me six skeins of Bernat Galaxy in "Deep Space" (purple) last night at Wal-mart - they were on clearance for a BUCK EACH!!! @_@ I'm thinking a short-sleeved sweater from the book I bought last night, Hot Knits. She bought two skeins of Lion Brand Chenille T&Q at three each, cuz she wants me to make her a scarf. I may have to go back soon to get more, I want "Mars" now too (the red one). 4laugh  

gemini6184

gemini6184

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:31 am
ninjadustbunnies
I like Noro 'cause it has such awesome funky colors.

But...it's expensive and I can't actually find any in my town XD

I like to work with wool and Caron, Caron mostly because it's cheap whee

Y'know I've never tried knitting with the Red Heart soft stuff. I hate their normal acrylic, but I shall have to purchase some soft and play with it XD
yeah i just saw it yesterday at Michael's. they have a beautiful dark teal that i want to do a sweater in heart  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:10 pm
Peppermint Elf
storyfromthestars
For Most projects I like Red Heart because it's really inexpensive, but I haven't found a brand that I like for clothes, Red Heart is just too scratchy. I want something softer. What do you guys suggest?
What you'd want to do is soak your item in a sink full of water and add 2-3 caps full of fabric softener. You'll only need to do this once, but it will soften the Red Heart stuff up really nice. 3nodding
any idea if the same idea will work with fabric sofetner sheets in the dryer? sweatdrop  

gemini6184

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:33 am
The heat will melt the acrylic. You will have a mass of (possibly softer) goo.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:15 am
Brunette_Star
Fuzzies? Do you mean like the yarn frays? Or do you mean lint gets on it? (I have the lint problem with my cotton thread)

lint, especially if i have to frog something.  

Maki Minakoaino

gemini6184

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:48 am
Zahra Ovaci
The heat will melt the acrylic. You will have a mass of (possibly softer) goo.
ive dried my acrylic sweaters in the dryer before, and ive never had a problem confused  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff