Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Pronunciation of Gaia Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you say it?
  JEE uh
  GUY uh
  GAY uh
  (other)
View Results

lain_sama_xxxxx_010101

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:27 pm
I think it could go either gah-ee-uh or gay-ee-uh. It depends on whether you choose to make the first 'a' a long vowel or not. Either way is technically correct.

In Nihongo (Japanese Language), it would be pronounced Gah-ee-ah. The only reason I mention that is because so many video games and Japanese animations use the term.

In English, the 'ai' combination almost always results in the sound the long 'I' makes (eye). The letter 'G' is not often a soft consonant because of the German influence in our language. I would say it is safe to assume that it is pronounced in the back of the throat instead of the front of the mouth.

My real curiosity is lies in whether the pronunciation changes with different regional and national accents.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:46 am
wz_dew
I think it could go either gah-ee-uh or gay-ee-uh. It depends on whether you choose to make the first 'a' a long vowel or not. Either way is technically correct.

In Nihongo (Japanese Language), it would be pronounced Gah-ee-ah. The only reason I mention that is because so many video games and Japanese animations use the term.

In English, the 'ai' combination almost always results in the sound the long 'I' makes (eye). The letter 'G' is not often a soft consonant because of the German influence in our language. I would say it is safe to assume that it is pronounced in the back of the throat instead of the front of the mouth.

My real curiosity is lies in whether the pronunciation changes with different regional and national accents.

Ah-ee, though, becomes a diphthong pronounced like our "I".

Say ah-ee quickly.  

The Man who was Thursday

the regular gatsby

Consumer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:55 am
i first thought 'GAY-uh' but i think it is 'GUY-uh'  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:09 pm
My friend who recommend I join pronounced it Guy-uh and so I do the same. It's weird for me to think of it any other way now. confused I've grown so accustomed to the way I say it and have heard it.  

BlindingTwilight

Silver and Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:51 pm
Guy-uh is correct, Escaflowne says it that way.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:48 pm
I say guy-uh. It just sounds right to me.  

Litia_Echo

BabbleFish

Shameless Smoker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:07 am
I've been studying Japanese linguistics for a while and when I joined Gaia I automatically read it as Gay-ee-uh. That's just what I call it. My friends all read it as Guy-uh though. I suppose it's just a matter of preference.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:51 am
BabbleFish
I've been studying Japanese linguistics for a while and when I joined Gaia I automatically read it as Gay-ee-uh. That's just what I call it. My friends all read it as Guy-uh though. I suppose it's just a matter of preference.

Even in Japanese it wouldn't be pronounced like that.  

The Man who was Thursday

she_died_smiling

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:31 pm
GUY-uh  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:23 am
Ezra Pound
BabbleFish

ガイア
That's how I'd spell it. In Japanese it would be still Guy-uh, essentially anyway. Maybe a 'ya' instead of an 'a' but essentially it's guy not gay-ee.
I mean, you say 行きたい. It's not Ikita-ee. It's Iki tai, as in...I don't know, Tai-bo.

Anyway, thems my thoughts.  

DNA_Guru

Ninfinity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:50 am
Ezra Pound
BabbleFish

gah-ee-ah, guy-ah

Japanese is a Romanized Language (thank the Spanish priests for that), you have to use the Latin pronunciations of ah, eh, ee, oh, oo.

Dictionary.com tells us jee-uh, and gay-uh.

Wow, that is one seriously messed up word.

I just don't say it. I use ASL to my fourth best friend who is on here, so my first best friend who despises it, I don't know why, doesn't hear a thing about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:11 am
Nazgrol
Ezra Pound
BabbleFish

gah-ee-ah, guy-ah

Japanese is a Romanized Language (thank the Spanish priests for that), you have to use the Latin pronunciations of ah, eh, ee, oh, oo.

I just don't say it. I use ASL to my fourth best friend who is on here, so my first best friend who despises it, I don't know why, doesn't hear a thing about it.

I don't agree with the "Japanese is a Romanized language" comment, but the rest of it, sure.  

The Man who was Thursday

Klandy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:33 pm
Yeah, I agree it is Guy-uh!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:51 pm
Ezra Pound
Nazgrol
Ezra Pound
BabbleFish

gah-ee-ah, guy-ah

I don't agree with the "Japanese is a Romanized language" comment, but the rest of it, sure.

*bows head down and shakes*

*looks up*

You misunderstand, the Spanish priests when writing Bibles translating Latin into Japanese, they realized that the pronunciations are the same, so to read it in English it has to get Romanized. for example: wakarimasu ka?

wah-kar-ee-mas-(the U is skipped, depending on the dialect)-kah

same as if reading (certain points of) Spanish, Italian, Portugese, and French, all started from Latin. A(ah), E(eh), I(ee), O(oh), U(oo).

get it? it has to get Romanized so we can read it in English.

Now Chinese on the other hand...that's a totally different story. *shakes head*  

Ninfinity

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:10 pm
Okay, you just worded it oddly.

You can transliterate Japanese into Latin characters. And, since Japanese has a standard pronunciation system, so does the Romanization.

It doesn't really have much to do with anything you said. They might have been the first to do it (I honestly have no idea, but frankly I doubt it), but.. most of the rest of what you say is illogical or obvious.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff