Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply dead threads - do not post
First Line Of Your Favorite Book? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

onceuponaninternet

Friendly Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:26 pm
"It was a dark and stormy night."
A Wrinkle In Time Madeline L'Engle.

Not my absolute favorite, but as it was one of the first fantasy books I've read, it wall always have a special place in my heart.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:29 pm
"It rained toads the day the White Counci came to town" - Summer Knight by Jim Butcher.

"Some things aren't meant to go together. Things like oil and water. Orange juice and toothpaste. Wizards and Television." - Death Masks by Jim Butcher.  

Arty the Ghost

Eloquence Winter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:50 pm
"When Ian came into Kerry's room to ask for a favor, it never occured to her that her four-year-old brother could ask her to do something that might get her killed."
-Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde (it's a vampire novelett)  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:21 pm
"This introduction to the introduction to the New edition is a highly significant one in the history of introductions." The Salmon of Doubt.

The current book I'm reading. Who doesn't love a book with 3 introductions, and editors note, and a prologue?

"The Regular early morning yell of horror was the sound of Arthur Dent waking up and suddenly remembering where he was." Life the Universe and Everything

Also a Douglas Adams, my favorite.

armyangel23

Wheezing Lunatic

afazzz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:00 pm
mine's not exactly fantasy. and it's the last line in the 1st chapter that i love, it's my favorite line EVER.
Luna, by JUlie Anne Peters
1st line:
I sensed her presence in my bedroom before I saw her.

Best line:
Of course I loved her. She was my brother.
(it's about a girl whose brother is trans)

Fantasy book: Daughters of the Moon, Lynne Ewing. The 1st line in the series is:
Vanessa Cleaveland cursed silently as she walked down the street.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:14 pm
I have way to many favorite lines from books, but from a tv show, its, "Eaten any good books lately?", Q to Worf, in Star Trek the Next Generation. I suppose there is a book written about the episode somewhere.  

MonkofMajere

Chatty Lunatic

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Brandisher 100

Lady Pole
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:07 pm
Kovik
I have way to many favorite lines from books, but from a tv show, its, "Eaten any good books lately?", Q to Worf, in Star Trek the Next Generation. I suppose there is a book written about the episode somewhere.

That was a great line! I love Q  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:14 am
I love books, so it's hard to pick a favorite. Here are some good first lines from a few things I just grabbed off of my bookshelf.

Quote:
I am sorry I embarrassed you in front of your friends.
(The Beatrice Letters)

Quote:
I think it's pretty lousy to wake up at sixteen and realize you've already been screwed.
(My Ishmael: A Sequel

Quote:
Anna Cayne had moved here in August, just before our sophomore year in high school, but by February she had, one by one, killed everyone in town.
(As Simple As Snow)

Quote:
Police interrogation room. Katurian sitting at a table, centre, blindfolded. Tupolski and Ariel enter and sit opposite him, Tupolski with a box file containing a large sheaf of papers.

Tupolski: Mister Katurian, this is Detective Ariel, I'm Detective Tupolski . . . Who left that on you?

Katurian: What?

Tupolski takes the blindfold off.

Tupolski: Who left this on you?

Katurian: Um, the man.

Tupolski: Why didn't you take it off? It just looks stupid.

Katurian: I didn't think I was supposed to.

Tupolski: It just looks stupid.

(The Pillowman)  

Shazari

Trash Garbage

13,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

codalion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:28 am
I love too many to have a favorite as well, so I'll just follow suit with the closest good things in my room:

Polly cut off her hair in front of the mirror, feeling slightly guilty about not feeling very guilty about doing so.
- Monstrous Regiment, Terry Pratchett

And it came to pass that a messenger was sent out to each member of the family.
- The Sandman: The Wake, Neil Gaiman

There was a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with himself - not just sometimes, but always.
- The Phantom Tollbooth, Norton Juster

Sam Vimes sighed when he heard the scream, but finished shaving before he did anything about it.
- Night Watch, Terry Pratchett

My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
- Life of Pi, Yann Martel  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:22 pm
Here's two of my favorite, although I have many many more favorite books.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."- Stephen King's The Dark Tower 1, The Gunslinger

""Oh, well ye got to be pullin' harder then that!" Tred McKnuckles yelled to his two horses and three dwarves." R. A. Salvatore's The Hunters Blades Trilogy, The Thousand Orcs

Both of these series are very good, ones that I would suggest to any, although for the Dark Tower series, it can be very adult at times. Probably for no less then a high schooler.  

MonkofMajere

Chatty Lunatic

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Brandisher 100

mahalogi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:48 pm
Eeew this books smells uugh so much for a new book gonk

Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world.
Eragon, Christopher Paolini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:03 am
`*cough* I have more than one...

The airship lumbered low overhead, its long, lined belly a dull smear of silvery light in the fog as it reflected the gas lamps of the city beneath.
-From The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding

I'd never given much thought to how I would die - though I'd had reason enough in the last few months - but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
-From the preface of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

He awoke from the darkness with a grin.
-From The King of Death by *cough* Me. xd Currently a work in progress...  

azurara

Meggie Bacon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:31 am
I have too many books I like, so I'll just pull a few random ones to put some quotes up. Maybe I'll add more later, I dunno. Oh, not all of these are fantasy, just so you know...

"The punkers were high and the jocks were drunk."
Through the Ice by Piers Anthony and Robert Kornwise

"'I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one. Or at least as close as we're going to get.'"
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

"It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance."
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

"I am the Princess Harueme, daughter of Fujiwara no Enyu and the emperor we now call Go-Sanjo. More to the point, I am old and I am dying." Fudoki by Kij Johnson

"It was little more than three miles from the Wall into the Old Kingdom, but that was enough." (Prologue)
"The rabbit had been run over minutes before." (Chapter One)
Sabriel by Garth Nix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:04 pm
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.
The Shadow Rising Book Four of THE WHEEL OF TIME by Robert Jordan  

Thrain Okensheild

Acesha Coeurl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:50 pm
A car is following me home. No, just...no. Not this, not today. If i don't see it, its not there. Not there. Not.. Damnit. Still there...

Sybil Riley, from Wild Hunt, Inc. Book one Stray Horses.  
dead threads - do not post

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff