Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
How magical is your city? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xxantuxx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:13 pm
My town (i live pretty close to DC) isnt very heavily populated wiht pagans but people are open. No metaphysical stores or anythign but i guess i have to put up with it. I still say this is some of the best part of the US but i hate the US so you know.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:51 am
There's good and bad where I am......I'm on a campus in South Carolina....

Good:

-beautiful nature everywhere
-a bookstore downtown that sells books, tarot cards, and sometimes gets Pagan magazine subscriptions
-I haven't been criticized for my beliefs (though I haven't told many people, only good friends)

Bad:

-the churches are everywhere(especially Baptist)
-the people from the churches are everywhere, asking you to join
-there was an underground pagan community on campus, but it's pretty much dead
-I was the leader of the Pagan group in Anderson, but out of the 10 that were signed up for the group, only two ever showed up(a mom and her daughter. which was cool, and we had nice conversations, but the only place we could think of to meet was in a cafe at book-a-million), so I apologized but I had to quit for studying reasons.

and now I have a funny story:

yesterday my friends and I went wal-mart shopping. I went off to buy a loaf of bread (for to celebrate September. I know, I feel bad, but I have no way of making bread sad ). So, I get my bread and start trying to re-locate my friends, and I get stopped by the Jesus Christ something church. Me--> eek So, they tell me, "we're trying to spread the word about the gospel and Jesus Christ. Would you like to join us or have friends that would?" I saw my friends disappear around an isle, and I replied, "Sorry...but my friends just ran away and I have to go find them" So I run away and tell my friends who stopped me, and just as I'm explaining the reason not to go down that direction, the JC people are coming down the same isle and I immediatly shut up and tell the guys, "I found my friends!", and they walked away (looking confused/bewildered/what have you). I bet they thought I was on crack, the way I was sweatdrop It's funny though, it seemed more like a game to me, I'm such a kid xp But then these kind of things make me think, "if there are so many churches, why can't there be at least one place of sanctuary for pagans?" And then I see all these Christian key chains and stuff, and I think, "why can't there be at least one for pagans?" (yeah, everoyne tells me profit...but I'm still sad) And it's also funny how I never thought of this when I was Christian. The pestering to join and come worship. I used to think it was natural and all-good. Yes, spread the word of Jesus Christ (and sometimes God) and save everyone's soul. But now that I'm on the flip-side (and will be forever-more, trust me, I feel very stable and secure 3nodding ) it's so annoying and the act seems so wrong. "You like your stuff, fine, I like mine too so go away". Wow, I posted a lot more than I thought I would....sorry about that  

crazy_burrito

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:36 pm
crazy_burrito
But then these kind of things make me think, "if there are so many churches, why can''t there be at least one place of sanctuary for pagans?" And then I see all these Christian key chains and stuff, and I think, "why can''t there be at least one for pagans?" (yeah, everyone tells me profit...but I''m still sad)

I understand the feeling, but there are actually some good things about not being an accessorized religion.^_^ Personally, commercialization is one of my worst fears for my religious community.^_^' I mean, look at how many half-assed Christians there are out there, with Jesus bumper stickers and keychains and T-shirts and so on and so forth. They're designed mostly as a way to "advertise" their faith- push the message of the Gospel without any personal effort- and yet they're not actively believing or following their religion; it's all for show. They're like dead fish swept along with the current. Dead Jesus fish.-_-

Wicca's starting to become commercialized, too- even though they don't officially preach evangelism- and look at what''s happening to it! Drama queens who literally wear their religion on their sleeves, and then practically stick their chests in your face daring you to "discriminate" against them... because they assume that you're not Pagan because if you were you'd be shoving it in everyone's face.^_^' Then there are the ones who plaster their fenders with Pagan bumper stickers, and then actually claim that their parking tickets are because of discrimination.^_^' The Pagan version of evangelism seems to be spreading the message of the Discrimination.

Kemetic religion already has a few online stores where you can get shirts, bags, bumper stickers, etc., and that does kind of make me nervous. I don't feel that religion should be a fashion statement- I believe in subtlety, and living my religion through what I do. I don't want our group to go the way of many of the mainstream religions. I would rather see a small and sincere following than a bunch of assimilated Kemites.

crazy_burrito
And it's also funny how I never thought of this when I was Christian. The pestering to join and come worship. I used to think it was natural and all-good. Yes, spread the word of Jesus Christ (and sometimes God) and save everyone's soul. But now that I''m on the flip-side (and will be forever-more, trust me, I feel very stable and secure 3nodding ) it's so annoying and the act seems so wrong. "You like your stuff, fine, I like mine too so go away". Wow, I posted a lot more than I thought I would....sorry about that

Yeah, it's funny how a change of perspective can change things.^_^ I feel rather blessed in this respect- I've had several opportunities to see other people doing things which I've either done in the past, or could conceive of myself doing if I were in their situation, and simply not realize how stupid/annoying/inappropriate it was if I was there and caught up in the circumstances. And so I've had the ability to assess the situation unemotionally and decide that this is not a good choice of behavior, and then strive to avoid it later on (or make amends if necessary for past infractions).

When you think about it, this is not the case for Christians in most areas of the world- they are usually in a position of at least equal power with other religions (and/or have back-up from bigger Christian organizations), and so they have not had the opportunity to be confronted by an intolerant and more powerful social group than themselves in a good long while. Back in times and places when Christians were persecuted, they tended to be much more tolerant and forgiving people. These days they've forgotten what it's like, and their sense of compassionate co-existence has drowned in their newfound power.

But times are changing, and I also worry that as Pagan movements grow in strength, we won't learn to adjust our tactics with each level of power we gain. Right now, Pagan rights activists groups are vicious- because they have to be. Like small animals in a natural environment, ferocity compensates for size. But if we don't learn to tone ourselves down as we gain our ground, then we're going to go swinging to the opposite extreme; rather than stabilizing in the middle as we should, we'll become exactly what we're now fighting against.-_-

Well. this time I've written a lot more than I''d intended- but that's not exactly surprising.^_^' I don't think that we're at the point yet where Pagans are becoming an overbearing political force- though there are definitely some individuals who take their personal crusades too far. This is just some musing on my part after a long day.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:13 pm
I love you. This is the kind of conversation I've been wanting to have with someone. I just can't because, well, it's not exactly what you talk about with an avid Christian. They'd probably be like I was, just wouldn't see a problem.

Thank you also for pointing out that not being commercialized is a good thing. I'd almost forgotten that that's what attracted me to paganism in the first place. It has a mysterious depth to it that only strong hearts can see and try to understand.

The crazy pagans. I try not to think of them, but sometimes when I see them I can't but stop and wonder. Whenever I say I'm pagan, that kind of "drama queen" is the first thing that pops into the other person's mind, so I've generally kept it to myself and only told trusty friends. I know they'd hear me out about how different paganism can be from person to person. I can't stand it when people just jump to their conclusions before you can even get a word in (-_-)()  

crazy_burrito

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:14 pm
You're entirely welcome- it feels good to be able to get these thoughts down on pixels as well. Sacred Sources is a wonderful environment for such conversations, and I'm very happy to have it.^_^

crazy_burrito
The crazy pagans. I try not to think of them, but sometimes when I see them I can't but stop and wonder. Whenever I say I'm pagan, that kind of "drama queen" is the first thing that pops into the other person's mind, so I've generally kept it to myself and only told trusty friends. I know they'd hear me out about how different paganism can be from person to person. I can't stand it when people just jump to their conclusions before you can even get a word in (-_-)()

Same here. Honestly, the people at work are cool enough and know me well enough that I seriously doubt it'd cause a big problem if they learned of my beliefs. However, not only is there no real reason to tell them, but because of the drama queen Pagans it might even add a complication to our interactions. I'd not only have to field questions about Pagans, but I'd have to juggle being the office Pagan with not being one of those Pagans, and my job's more than enough to keep all my mental faculties occupied without adding new social tiers to the mix.^_^'  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:36 am
Well, JRR Toliken based Middle Earth on some areas of my city (Edgbaston way, here in Birmingham) xd

But seriously, it is an okay place. Several of the areas that are on the edges of the city have pretty nice parklands that are wonderful to go off and explore in. There is a large mix of religions, some respectful that you have your own belief, and the others who won't leave you alone. The Scientologists are always trying to get me whenever I walk to the city library, near to where their place is.

Next Saturday, my city is also playing host to a large Pagan Convention, with guest speakers, booths and the like, with people from all over, not just England, coming to it, so I am really looking forward to that, and I'm really happy it's happening before I move to university on September 20th.  

Elisabeth Braddock

Dapper Exhibitionist

Leith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:17 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
I proclaim Montreal to be the best city! We have a thriving pagan/magical community that holds public rituals for each sabbat. It has a large number of established covens of varying paths, and numerous metaphysical stores. Hell, there's even the "Young Pagan Circle" for teens up to 18 to learn about aganism from someone experienced so they knwo what they want when they turn 18 and can thus legally join another group. Final point, we also have a bi-seasonly newsletter called Wyntergreen, which has articles written about various pagan subjects, right down to crytograms revealing really bad jokes (How did the initiate die?......First degree murder )

I love my neibor to the North! I live about 2 hrs. from you in lovely Vermont. As the most liberal state in what's left of this so-called union, we get a wide range. In the rural areas are your redneck cousin ******** bible thumpers. But in Chittenden county and Montpelier (sp??) It's quite nice. THere's a rather nice semi-pagan shop at the end of my road. Though not strictly pagan(They wouldn't make it) they still have incense, crystals, herbs, a few odds and ends an-one of my favorites- SAGE! blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:52 pm
The Sault (pronounced Soo) has a strong but underground community. We've recently (as in, this past Beltane) organized the Sault Ste. Marie Pagan Association and now host an event of some type three Sundays a month; the first sunday is either a pagan pub moot or breakfast, and, the third a workshop and the fourth is either a Sabbat celebration or nothing. After Ppday this year, we realized that the Sault really needed that kind of a push. Right now we're looking for office space...

As for the general scene, I dont' think it's too bad. I dont' have to worry about bible thumping Christians, although there are over 600 churches here. The Sault is a small town mentality though, so you have to watch who you're advertising your faith too. We've got 3 shops that supply Pagan things, but only one that's openly Pagan. The other two are unique gift shops, not Pagan shops.

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Miss_Spell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:24 pm
QueenCrystal
My city is pretty bad for my way of life. Its full of witch-bashing christians, and churches. I'd never find a place where they would hold rituals. I am bashed alot, but it doesnt bother me. I'm driven by my curiousity, willingness to learn, and what I feel is best for me right now. If it were in my hands, I would live in P.A. but instad, im in Texas. Suck.

Hey....Nihilistic, Can I live with you sweatdrop

I am in Texas too, but I live in the country, right outside a tiny little village and 6 miles from a small town. Both places are predominantly Hispanic/Mexican, and a lot of the old Mexican beliefs and customs still hold here. There is a little store in town that carries a lot of things that would be used by curanderas in their practice so I can find candles, herbs and oils. Sadly though, I've heard that the place is going to close down.

As far as ridicule though, I haven't faced much. Then again, I let people get to know me, and me to get to know them, before I discuss heavy subjects like religion with them.

As far as ley lines or haunted or mystical, historical places go, there's nothing of interest here.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff