Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
English Grammar and Foreign Languages Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you know a foreign language?
  Yes and it does help my grammar.
  Yes, and I don't think it helps.
  No I don't know a foreign language, so this doesn't affect me
View Results

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:36 pm
Gachetemas
I learned from my guitar teacher that there are twelve different ways to say "the" in German.

I take Spanish. It is one of my favorite subjects. Maybe it's easier for me because I don't have a hard time with grammar things. Sometimes grammar is reviewed to help out other students.

Uh.. Yeah, if you count cases and genders, there's 12. Some of those are duplicates though.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:37 am
Gachetemas
I learned from my guitar teacher that there are twelve different ways to say "the" in German.

I take Spanish. It is one of my favorite subjects. Maybe it's easier for me because I don't have a hard time with grammar things. Sometimes grammar is reviewed to help out other students.

I like Spanish. It's pretty easy for me and I think it's because I already have a good background in other Latin/Romance languages.  

Aerin-Sol9

ljosberinn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:06 pm
I don't think I've ever been as grateful for bein an Icelander until at this point in my life. I am quite obsessed on languages and Icelandic grammar is.. well, let's say it's similar to Latin grammar. Brobdingnagian. That is to say, quite complex.
Thanks to Icelandic, it's fairly easy for me to learn the grammar in most other languages, seeing as most other languages have easier grammar. German grammar is also somewhat similar.
I have to admit I haven't studied English grammar inparticular, I find English quite easy actually, especially compared to the other languages I know. But maybe that's just because they rarely teach you more than just the basic grammar? Hmm, maybe I should find an English grammar course..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:02 pm
Well, I'm not so sure.
I can see how learning another Germanic language might improve your English grammar, but I'm not sure about languages that have absolutely no similarity to English (say, Japanese). Of course, it would improve your abilities in many other areas.

If you are willing to improve your English by learning foreign languages, It would be better to try Old English or Latin. You could see the way the structure of sentences (also words and many other things) changed over time and generate a few rules about it. That would really help you understand English grammar much better.

I can say with certainty that speaking foreign languages that are very loosely connected to English has not helped my English grammar at all.  

Fatal Hilarity

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:01 am
F. Fritzi
Well, I'm not so sure.
I can see how learning another Germanic language might improve your English grammar, but I'm not sure about languages that have absolutely no similarity to English (say, Japanese). Of course, it would improve your abilities in many other areas.

If you are willing to improve your English by learning foreign languages, It would be better to try Old English or Latin. You could see the way the structure of sentences (also words and many other things) changed over time and generate a few rules about it. That would really help you understand English grammar much better.

I can say with certainty that speaking foreign languages that are very loosely connected to English has not helped my English grammar at all.

You have to understand the grammar behind both languages to translate between them. Hence, learning another language helps with your grammar.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:40 am
Ezra Pound
You have to understand the grammar behind both languages to translate between them. Hence, learning another language helps with your grammar.
I'd like to read an example.  

Fatal Hilarity

Dulak

Noob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:52 pm
Aerin-Sol9

You know, the best way to have good English grammar is to learn a Foreign Language. I speak, read and write fluent french, and that helped significantly in my English grammar. I went to a french school for 5 years, and even though we weren't allowed to speak English, I think that our English was much better than the English of other schools. I have to admit though, my French grammar isn't as good as it could be. redface

What do you think?

I'm taking a French class next year for school, so I'm hoping for it to be an "easy A" class rather than Spanish.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff