Reply ~ Main Forum ~
can u quit being a goth? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hunter of the Dammed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:00 am
No, you are who you are, to quit being goth is to qiut being you.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:45 am
GilAskan
Historically, within the goth community, the term goth exclusively referred to musical preference: "Goths are avid fans of goth-rock".

This depends on what you mean when you say 'the goth community.' Avid fans of goth rock are not the only ones who use the term to describe themselves. It's common among Darkwave fans and spills over into Etheric (some of which isn't closely related to goth rock at all) and even into the Early Music community. Hell, some people still describe themselves as 'gothic' because they're interested in the 19th century Gothic Revival (though it's worth noting that they stick to the adjective 'gothic' and don't tend to use the noun 'goth').  

Veruniel
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:50 am
Veruniel
GilAskan
Historically, within the goth community, the term goth exclusively referred to musical preference: "Goths are avid fans of goth-rock".

This depends on what you mean when you say 'the goth community.' Avid fans of goth rock are not the only ones who use the term to describe themselves. It's common among Darkwave fans and spills over into Etheric (some of which isn't closely related to goth rock at all) and even into the Early Music community. Hell, some people still describe themselves as 'gothic' because they're interested in the 19th century Gothic Revival (though it's worth noting that they stick to the adjective 'gothic' and don't tend to use the noun 'goth').

Yeah, I know. I was just simplifying the use of the term for the example at hand. Many deathrock, psychobilly, and dark cabaret fans also use the term, as do many fetishers, ravers (those whose individual fashion draws from traditional goth fashion), and artists (by which I mean writers and visual artists, whom may draw influence from the gothic revival or gothic-horror).

I was just using a single definition of the word which best supported my argument at the time.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:58 am
Hm, well, if your musical tastes progress from goth to something else, I'd say yes, I for one used to be quite a fan of goth, but I got suckered into metal. However, if asked if I was ever goth, I would honestly say no, I wasn't, but.... ok, where'd my point go? ..... *goes off wandering for it* godsdamned stupid metal-head brain.....  

Isobel Bellamy

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:11 am
Isobel Bellamy
Hm, well, if your musical tastes progress from goth to something else, I'd say yes, I for one used to be quite a fan of goth, but I got suckered into metal. However, if asked if I was ever goth, I would honestly say no, I wasn't, but.... ok, where'd my point go? ..... *goes off wandering for it* godsdamned stupid metal-head brain.....

I think your point was, people like me and you, never really were goth and just tend to flit about the different styles and music that we feel suit us best at the time. Which at the moment, due to anger over apathy or just a dark world view, is a view of anger and aggression, so thusly our tastes lie in metal and its paraphernalia.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:36 pm
I'd say that it's possible to change your style, but changing your beliefs, likes and dislikes, musical tastes, etc. is harder to do. I'm not saying it's impossible, because people do grow and change, but it's unlikely.  

shoe_trophy

jello_cheesecake1023

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:38 pm
well..
It's just your choice if you want to stop being goth..
it's possible..  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces