Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Color/Colour Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dark_moon_priestess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:07 pm
'Color' is apparently an American spelling. I know in Britain, Australia, and Canada, they spell it 'colour'. Americans...Honestly, we just have to be different don't we? smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:33 pm
Honestly, it doesn't matter which way you spell it. I was born in the US, then I moved to England. I switch between the two every now and then by mistake. Now that I'm back in the US, I just have to learn to drop that "u" when I'm writing something, otherwise my teacher might badger me on spelling...(I think she has something against England..)  

Shichimaru

ririnyan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:21 pm
Colour, color and all the other dialectical variations are equally valid in context. The only thing that bothers me is when people actively try to correct my spelling from British to American English. It is thankfully rare, but still a little annoying. Words like "defence" and "traveller" are perfectly correct in British English! I would never assume to correct an American's native spelling, it's just part of our language's vibrant nature! I'm sure it happens both ways, though. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:23 pm
I have to say i completly agree with all of you, although I do spell it color. Why do people make things so difficult,you might as well spell it the same everywhere!  

emilycrayons

Reason 2 Hate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:19 pm
Here's my two cents... You people need something better to debate about. o.o  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:43 pm
I like favorite and color.  

normtheclone

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:44 pm
I'm American, and I usually spell 'color' and other such words with a u. I think it looks better. In fact, when I set up Word, I just went ahead and switched my spell-checker to British English. My teachers don't bother me about it, so most of the time I do it. If I get lazy, I spell the American way. (I am so embarassed. XD)  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:03 am
Colour.
It looks better.

Color reminds me of cheap crayons.
Colour reminds me of colour.  

Marcus McFlufferson

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:26 pm
If you want to open the American/British spelling can of worms, you also need to consider some other words... the ward's.

backward
forward
toward

it is also exceptable to spell these with s's on the end.

I moved toward(s) the man.

We got lazy and dropped the "s."  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas