Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Horrible word Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hate the word chu?
  Indubitably!
  Not really.
View Results

`Professional`

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:40 pm
LarryTheLlama666
I am terribly sorry but this word aggravates me.Does anyone else get annoyed by the word chu?It has no point really in my opinion.
Yes, that word aggrivates me, but not as much as the word, "j00r" if you can even consider that a word.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:43 pm
`Professional`
LarryTheLlama666
I am terribly sorry but this word aggravates me.Does anyone else get annoyed by the word chu?It has no point really in my opinion.
Yes, that word aggrivates me, but not as much as the word, "j00r" if you can even consider that a word.

What does that mean?  

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

Kaizoku-sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:51 pm
In speech, I'm probably guilty of saying that. (Welcome to Kentucky) When it annoys me is when people write it or sing it. (Especially when singing. It makes me want to tear my hair out!)  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:45 pm
Sometimes I mean if I'm having a little fun with my friends then it's fine, but on a regular basis then no.
By the way; chu is used to replace you for those who don't know.  

d-a-r-k-s-h-y

LarryTheLlama666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:33 pm
MuffinChick54
Okay this might sound rude since it seems like a lot of people care but, sorry I'm not seeing how this matters. It's just how people talk like I said earlier I say Chi all the time and no one ever complains to me about it. I'm just not really getting the point of this. But it is kind of a fun conversation.
That reminds me does any one else say stuff like "kinda and sorta" because I see people using the extra 'a' all the time but I never hear anyone say anything about it.
True true..I am just having a silly rant.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:34 pm
`Professional`
LarryTheLlama666
Oh man my friend says that all the time.Such an annoying word.  

LarryTheLlama666

Cheerfulhope

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:28 pm
Ezra Pound
Chu is Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound of a kiss. It doesn't literally translate.

Oh, that chu! I've heard it on a kissing thread. ( Don't ask It is a little odd.) Why can't people just say "kiss'? The word is only one letter longer and it makes more sense to people who aren't Japan-savvy.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:45 pm
FeelinShiny
Here I thought a Chu was a strange gell like creature coming in many diferent colors. I also thought that when you drink the jelly of a Red Chu it would heal your wounds and if you drink the jelly of Green Chus it restores your magic...

Ah well.... Maybe I'm wrong....

whee

Go Zelda, Go Zelda!

Yes, Love the Chu's!!

But not the word! For example: "What's up wit chu?" I believe Donkey says it on Shrek.  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Dea Mariella

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:25 pm
Ezra Pound
LarryTheLlama666
Ekame
Chu probably originated from accents and speaking too quickly. Admittedly, I often use "Wha'chya" when greeting friends in face to face speech. As for accents, think of a southerner, who might say "'Ey, wh'chu doin'?"

Did you know there are a group of people who want to change the whole English language to phonetics...?
Really?

I'm one of them.

Ok, someone might have already mentioned this...

I believe it was Mark Twain who wrote a way to "simplify" the English language. I forget the actual title and such, but I just found it so funny...look it up if you haven't read it yet!

Phonetics? As in using the symbols that are upside down letters and y's with lines through them and such? [I forget what that's called...oh well, I'll learn it in vocal tech.] How would that work? As there are so many different branches of English, that it wouldn't be accurate. People from one end of the country wouldn't be able to talk to people on the other end; much less the UK or Australia! Just think of Ebonics as an example of the diversities in the language!

Silly, silly, much too silly.

Dea-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:57 am
Malbeur
Gachetemas
Didn't Harry Potter have a crush on her? Chu Chang? I'm not sure.

domokun Bye, chu.

That was 'Cho' actually. Cho Chang.

Thank you Malbeur^^, one niggling little mistake I didn't have to correct. XP biggrin  

Erikittie

Chaotic Nitemare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:45 pm
Surprisingly, I've never heard anyone use that word before. Well...online, at least. :B

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:11 pm
LarryTheLlama666
It just aggravates me when they use "chu" for "you".It is completely annoying.

"How are chu today?"<---That can get annoying.

I agree. People at my school talk like that and it is very annoying. 3nodding  

-HelloHearts-

-Evan Everwood-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:58 pm
Well,
If someone uses it like, once or twice,
It doesn't bother me too much.

But if someone uses it EVERY sentance,

Then we have a problem.

stare  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:29 pm
LarryTheLlama666
`Professional`
LarryTheLlama666
Oh man my friend says that all the time.Such an annoying word.

I have a friend who does that as well. When she's in a hyper mood or trying to be weird/cute she'll start saying "Aww! But I LURV j00!!"

It's horrible...  

xAvenirYuinax

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:51 pm
DarkEyes-And_A-DarkSoul
Malbeur
Gachetemas
Didn't Harry Potter have a crush on her? Chu Chang? I'm not sure.

domokun Bye, chu.

That was 'Cho' actually. Cho Chang.

Thank you Malbeur^^, one niggling little mistake I didn't have to correct. XP biggrin

Hey! Who are you calling a niggling? I don't see any nigglings around here. Oh, except for the people too stupid to get my joke. Those nigglings. biggrin  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff