Submit

Do you agree?
  Yes
  No
  Maybe so
View Results

churrlo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:32 pm
Potential is something that's hard to measure though. Do we really know enough to measure Shikamaru's actual potential?? (NOT taking sides >.>)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:36 pm
churrlo
Potential is something that's hard to measure though. Do we really know enough to measure Shikamaru's actual potential?? (NOT taking sides >.>)
I don't think we do, especially on something like neck breaking. That's kind of my point. We can't measure Shikamaru's potential, so we don't know what he can do sad  

Captain Verd

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:45 pm
churrlo
Ability verses potential are pretty vague.

YES, ANYONE with the correct affinities has the POTENTIAL to learn Kage Kubi Shibari under the training of the Nara clan, and with effort, and probably years of practice, they could break a neck.

But we're talking about Shikamaru. And we're being realistic. Sure he could do it. In the future. If he put out the effort.

But let me remind you all again; this is Shikamaru. He might be less of a lazy bum than he was before, but we also know he is a very logical person. He'd much more likely wish to acquire a more useful feat, such as choosing "seek" over "climb" when creating a rogue. Feats, attacks, abilities; these all have PRIORITY over one another, and Shikamaru is definately heading the blade route. He now has Asuma's blade, and a wakizashi. To also break necks at random would be a massive waste of chakra; which, as we all know, he already doesn't have that much of.

Shikamaru COULD in time. At the moment he cannot. We know this because Hidan, with his own brute strength, repelled the shadow. He was not using chakra to aid him, or else Shikamaru would have
1. Lost stamina far more quickly,
2. Possibly experienced some sort of pain (this is something known by those who study ki; "chakra interference on a negative level"),
3. He would have lost the shadow's control FAR more quickly; it would have shot back (or stayed in place at a sort of equilibrium like when he was fighting Tayuya, who, repelled with chakra when she reached level 2) and
4. He probably wouldn't have stamina left over to yet again catch Hidan.

When someone arm wrestles, they get tired. Those of us who know what ki really is, how it works, feels, and how it is implemented in martial arts, we know that your arm feels better pretty quickly in 10-15 minutes. Ki however, not only takes a lot of concentration to muster in the first place, but it is even harder to recover.

Chakra's similarities to Ki have been proven by Ebisu. According to Ebisu's explanation, Chakra is "Physical Energy" (stamina) combined with one's "Mental Energy" (will). Shikamaru's will is irrelevant at the moment. If he was repelled by chakra, the "backfire" actually cuts down his stamina. It's like getting punched in the face. You might not feel like running so much after you're punched in the face. If Shikamaru was like Naruto, and had a VERY strong will, he would pull through such a repel technique, or as called in Naruto, a "cancellation technique." When used on a ninjutsu that involves a direct contact to the user, it does not "cancel" it as much as it "repels" it.

Point being, Shikamaru's Kage Kubi Shibari is weak enough for Hidan to push it back. Hidan, at this time, we do not know his strength. But it is safe to assume that he cannot break someone's neck with one arm.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:58 pm
But he might have the potential to, which his jutsu. I'd love to see that, like THIRTY YEARS into the future, or something. Maybe Hulk Hogan can take the lad under his wing for steroids and muskles and stuff. xd  

Captain Verd

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:26 pm
Captain Verd
But he might have the potential to, which his jutsu. I'd love to see that, like THIRTY YEARS into the future, or something. Maybe Hulk Hogan can take the lad under his wing for steroids and muskles and stuff. xd
I wonder if Shikamaru's dad will like, grow out of being a ninja, and be an old lazy man. Probably not; all the old guys still kick a**. crying  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:32 pm
Aw, I bet he'll retire to Florida with all the other old men.  

Captain Verd

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:33 pm
Captain Verd
Aw, I bet he'll retire to Florida with all the other old men.
Florida's a bad place! gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:43 pm
Hey, the old people like it.  

Captain Verd

churrlo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:04 pm
My head hurts too much to read that X_X  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:55 am
i like shikamaru,hes funny  

lunarlancer385

Reso Miso Soup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:24 pm
My, another Shika Thread? Isnt he famous...  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:40 pm
Resolute Infliction
My, another Shika Thread? Isnt he famous...
I TOLD YA! D:<

I TOLD YOU ALL...

That Shikamaru's fans increase exponentially.

And they all said I was crazy. gonk  

Syndactyly

Reso Miso Soup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:41 pm
Well, you sure proved us wrong. Go Shika~~  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:44 pm
Resolute Infliction
Well, you sure proved us wrong. Go Shika~~
;O Heck yes. *waves hips casually as Gai would in a victorious fashion*  

Syndactyly

churrlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:19 pm