Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Song Titles... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should artists use proper spelling for song titles?
  Yes.
  No.
View Results

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:30 pm
TheShinobi
You know, "Sk8r boi" pisses me OFF! stressed

I find Avil Lagvine to be a great musician but I just don't like that song I happen to love her song Nobodys Home on her cd under my skin!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:20 pm
Well if they did use real proper English, it would look a little better; songs will always be songs though.  

`Lenzor

Sammie of Spades

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:01 pm
I think the titile Sk8er boi was a good way of using "txt tlk" in a song titile because of the direction of the music. It's kind of like mockery in my eyes. You know stereotypical peppie little ballet girl who thinks she better then this "rebellious skater boy" The attitude she puts forth in the song matches the way she would likely spell sk8er boi, but that is just my opinion. stare  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:51 am
Hmm, this is a particular topic. Although I do find it important to speak proper literacy, but I suppose song titles are just created in "txt" format for some reasons. For example, by doing so, it may create more spirit during the song, or, it may appeal to more audiences. Still, "txt talk" is unacceptable.  

Sweet Blushes

__X__Naomi__X__

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:43 am
FuarBradhadair
I think the titile Sk8er boi was a good way of using "txt tlk" in a song titile because of the direction of the music. It's kind of like mockery in my eyes. You know stereotypical peppie little ballet girl who thinks she better then this "rebellious skater boy" The attitude she puts forth in the song matches the way she would likely spell sk8er boi, but that is just my opinion. stare

Yeah there is always a reason for using 'txt tlk' is song titles like what FuarBradhadair said for the song 'Sk8er Boi'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:59 pm
I think music sells for more important reasons than the spelling of its song titles. Generally, the music is what matters most.

Carlos Santana wanted to call one of his albums "Mumbo Jumbo." But some feared that people wouldn't buy it, so they called it Supernatural. It won about nine um... doohickies. A rose, obviously, is a rose. Is a rose.  

Gachetemas

lost_silme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:37 pm
I would have to agree as well. Illiteracy is somewhat acceptable when a person is spelling a word based upon the way it sounds.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:58 pm
Ezra Pound
That you judge a song by its title is truly pathetic.

Yes and no. To judge something you have to at least know most of it. In that sense I will not judge something by the title, cover, first chapter or whatever front message or image is.
I'm against "Txt tlk" on songs because that is what our children are learning. They're learning nothing laziness and bad written words not to mention the questionable themes and language those new songs have.  

ramforce

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 pm
ramforce
Ezra Pound
That you judge a song by its title is truly pathetic.

Yes and no. To judge something you have to at least know most of it. In that sense I will not judge something by the title, cover, first chapter or whatever front message or image is.
I'm against "Txt tlk" on songs because that is what our children are learning. They're learning nothing laziness and bad written words not to mention the questionable themes and language those new songs have.

That's superfluous. The OP stated that she liked songs less because of their title. That's all I was saying I am against.

As for the "txt tlk" being bad because that's what "our children" are learning... Oh well! That's how language progresses.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:50 pm
They don't horribly offend me, but I still get that urge to correct it on my computer. I like the songs, it's just a little annoying to see something pop up with some horrible txt tlk.

Sk8er boi wasn't that bad, really. Aside from the fact that no one appreciates Avril anymore. "Normal" people judge by the artist rather than the title. *bangs head on wall* I like the songs, thank you very much.

As to "Real music uses real words-" what about classical music that has no words? Just a thought sweatdrop  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas