Satan and Paganism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:31 pm
Now, to just give some support to my claim, check the link. I went to a searchable Bible site, and typed in Lucifer, and see the result.

http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=lucifer&qs_version=31  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:30 pm
I tend to look at Satan as a consept of things in human nature that "good christions" are supposed to avoid; lust, greed, rage, lasyness, exess of physical plesure... Its not that I don't "belive" in Satan, its that I don't recognise him as a god, but an arcitipe(sp?)  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:47 pm
Neko_Bast
I tend to look at Satan as a consept of things in human nature that "good christions" are supposed to avoid; lust, greed, rage, lasyness, exess of physical plesure... Its not that I don't "belive" in Satan, its that I don't recognise him as a god, but an arcitipe(sp?)
Archetype?

Do you then see other deities as archetypal figures? Zeus as representative of a father figure and a ruler, Isis as the mother all strive to be, Ishtar as the sexualized lover?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:09 am
Nihilistic Seraph
Redwing~Shadow
Quote:
Actually, that's Lucifer

Lucifer and the devil are the same, and in reality, the devil was lucifer as an angel, but because he betrayed god, he was sent down from heavan and became as the devil.
No...no they're not. Lucifer is the name Yahweh gave to a Babylonian king who got uppity. You're going on the common knowledge, which happens to be dead wrong.

Probably because of John Milton's Paradise Lost, old times Bible Fanfiction.  

Goddess Hekate
Crew

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:46 pm
Goddess Hekate
Nihilistic Seraph
Redwing~Shadow
Quote:
Actually, that's Lucifer

Lucifer and the devil are the same, and in reality, the devil was lucifer as an angel, but because he betrayed god, he was sent down from heavan and became as the devil.
No...no they're not. Lucifer is the name Yahweh gave to a Babylonian king who got uppity. You're going on the common knowledge, which happens to be dead wrong.

XD Fanfiction...yes, indeed. We got into so much discussion when we had to read that in a class. Our teacher had to keep reminding them that this wasn't a theological discussion to shut them up.

Ah, Satan, Christianity's second god. ^_^ I shall probably read more of this thread before stating any solid thoughts, but I couldn't pass up this amusing moment.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:33 am
Azana Brown
Goddess Hekate
Nihilistic Seraph
Redwing~Shadow
Quote:
Actually, that's Lucifer

XD Fanfiction...yes, indeed. We got into so much discussion when we had to read that in a class. Our teacher had to keep reminding them that this wasn't a theological discussion to shut them up.

Ah, Satan, Christianity's second god. ^_^ I shall probably read more of this thread before stating any solid thoughts, but I couldn't pass up this amusing moment.
Hey, doesn't stop it from being a great work of art 3nodding  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Goddess Hekate
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:47 am
Nihilistic Seraph
Azana Brown
Goddess Hekate
Nihilistic Seraph
Redwing~Shadow
Quote:
Actually, that's Lucifer

Hey, doesn't stop it from being a great work of art 3nodding

'Course not Fanfiction can be quite good xd I should really read Paradise Lost... I started on it last year...but then I stopped for some reason.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:58 am
Eh, I'd suggest reading the works of Homer first, as Milton makes references to it constantly.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

-xX-A n g e l i c u s-Xx-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:18 am
Jezehbelle
When I read the Bible, I kindof favored the devil over Yahweh... o_O;

The serpent in Eden on the tree, tells them the truth, while Yahweh lies and says they will die the day they eat it, but Adam lives on to be 130 years old. If the god of Abraham can wipe out the face of the earth, kill men, women and children, along with all but two of each kind of animal, there is surely good to the devil.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jHPg3kjKBRc
ninja

I don't believe in the Devil -- I think he's Abrahamic God's scapegoat, if you'll excuse the pun...

I read a text once, on scientific evidences for the Bible....And one paragraph suggested that The serpent was a liberal God....like The other Jesus was some other punishing guy. I'd give you the link But I never saved it. -shrug- Just something to ponder.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:36 pm
Satan is an Angel of YHWH whose job it is to test the faith of his (YHWH's) followers.
He tempts Job, he tempts Jesus, and they both come out on top as those of true faith according to text.

I believe YHWH exists, and if I'm going to accept that I shouldn't have a problem believing that Satan exists either.
Do I believe that Satan is as the general media portrays him? No; not anymore than I believe that Christians are a bunch of narrow minded idiots who take their religious texts literally to denounce scientific discoveries, and use Judaic laws they aren't supposed to follow anyway to fuel hatred towards people, as some media (many of whom happen to profess to be Pagans... hmmm) would depict them.

Education fixes pretty much everything. Except the Total Perspective Vortex... it's education fries your brain.  

Elizabeth Tarion

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:39 pm
MoreSpareParts
Satan is an Angel of YHWH whose job it is to test the faith of his (YHWH's) followers.
He tempts Job, he tempts Jesus, and they both come out on top as those of true faith according to text.

I believe YHWH exists, and if I'm going to accept that I shouldn't have a problem believing that Satan exists either.
Do I believe that Satan is as the general media portrays him? No; not anymore than I believe that Christians are a bunch of narrow minded idiots who take their religious texts literally to denounce scientific discoveries, and use Judaic laws they aren't supposed to follow anyway to fuel hatred towards people, as some media (many of whom happen to profess to be Pagans... hmmm) would depict them.

Education fixes pretty much everything. Except the Total Perspective Vortex... it's education fries your brain.
*thumbs up*

In regards to the Angel of God bit, is there another passage outside the begining of Job that would indicate that? The Job one is rather vague.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:50 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
*thumbs up*

In regards to the Angel of God bit, is there another passage outside the begining of Job that would indicate that? The Job one is rather vague.
I suck at the whole Chapter and Verse thing. I'd have to do searches on the Blue Bible site and such.

Aren't servants of YHWH called Angels, though? Maybe I'm wrong. Knowing tons of things about Judaism isn't exactly a hobby of mine. sweatdrop  

Elizabeth Tarion

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:52 pm
MoreSpareParts
Nihilistic Seraph
*thumbs up*

I suck at the whole Chapter and Verse thing. I'd have to do searches on the Blue Bible site and such.

Aren't servants of YHWH called Angels, though? Maybe I'm wrong. Knowing tons of things about Judaism isn't exactly a hobby of mine. sweatdrop
Don't worry about it, only now am I actually taking a course on religion.

As far as I know though, angel only means messenger. In Islamic mythology, angels are made of light, the djinn (Shaitan/Iblis being one of them) made of fire, and humans clay.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:16 pm
That's cool. I'd consider taking a religion course at my school, but it's only focus is on the philosophy of monotheism... pretty narrow if you ask me. neutral

Nihilistic Seraph
As far as I know though, angel only means messenger.
I didn't know that, but it makes sense sweatdrop

Nihilistic Seraph
In Islamic mythology, angels are made of light, the djinn (Shaitan/Iblis being one of them) made of fire, and humans clay.
And I know even less about Islam, but I recall that being in order with Judaism. Except for the Djinn. I'm not very clear on demons in Judaism or Djinn... at all xp  

Elizabeth Tarion

Goddess Hekate
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:26 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
MoreSpareParts
Nihilistic Seraph
*thumbs up*

Don't worry about it, only now am I actually taking a course on religion.

As far as I know though, angel only means messenger. In Islamic mythology, angels are made of light, the djinn (Shaitan/Iblis being one of them) made of fire, and humans clay.

Angels I believe is split into categories in the bible I think, or atleast there are mentioned Seraphs (Isaiah) arch-angels(Thesselonians) and cherubim (genesis)

In Islamic myth Azrael the Angel of Death apparently tore the clay from the earth to create man, or at least I've read soemthing like that.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff