Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Slang - Will It Take Over?! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you want slang to be "Regular English Grammar"?
  Yes! Go Slang!
  Boo! We want regular grammar!
  I can deal with both
View Results

shannonrwrwrw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:24 am
nancyly
Slang truly is a destructive force. Not only is a disgrace to society, but it a bad reputation to everybody. Not everyone enjoys to use such language, and truthfully, "slang" is something I find very idotic.

It a bad? It's. It's a bad.

Sorry if that was irritating but you are sitting here calling slang a disgrace and yet you sit here and can't put thos S's and apostrophes.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:31 am
Sergeant Fudgeo
ririnyan
The (sad?) thing is, though, this is how language evolves. This is why we're not talking the same style of English as Shakespeare or, even further back, Chaucer. Slang is irritating, yes, but it's part of the progression of the language.

Instead of progression, I'd say REGRESSION.

Heh heh-no.

You know, she has a very very good point. People during shakespeare's time probably thought OUR talking was regression-but it wasn't. Face it-slang, well...

...it's whats gonna happen and you are just going to have to cry a river and GET OVER IT. It's obviously whats supposed to happen. It's progression, not regression just because some people are starting to talk in a different way. Really-get over it. There is absoulutely NOTHING you can do to stop it. Except cry and yell and whine and complain but then people will just not like you.

shannonrwrwrw

Violet the mystical

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:01 am
I can deal with slang.
Its rather easy.
Just think of those hip and hopping people that play jazz.
Think about it.....Think!
Now, its not so bad is it?
If you can deal with all those cool cats or wild dogs,
You can deal with slang.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:08 pm
This reminds me of all the "That be his" and "She don't be doin' nothin' no ways!" I think its funny, and when I hear it, I say to myself, Mmm, good 'ole country grammar (I live in Georgia, USA). Overall, I do wish people would talk correctly. Sometimes dialects are.... well.... a little bit cute. BUT there is a difference between "dialects" and just being plain stupid. I don't mind slang at all, just don't write it! That's when you're stupid.  

Sammie of Spades

Bellatrixie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:56 pm
MuchAdo
I think if slang does take over I would blame it on teachers. I would blame it on teachers because many teachers use slang and they don't correct children.

That's not true. I work at an elementary school as a teaching assistant, and the teacher will correct the kid's gramma all the time. So will I.

With little kids though, sometimes it's just a thing that they need to grow out of because they don't know what grammar really is.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:35 pm
shannonrwrwrw
Sergeant Fudgeo
ririnyan
The (sad?) thing is, though, this is how language evolves. This is why we're not talking the same style of English as Shakespeare or, even further back, Chaucer. Slang is irritating, yes, but it's part of the progression of the language.

Instead of progression, I'd say REGRESSION.

Heh heh-no.

You know, she has a very very good point. People during shakespeare's time probably thought OUR talking was regression-but it wasn't. Face it-slang, well...

...it's whats gonna happen and you are just going to have to cry a river and GET OVER IT. It's obviously whats supposed to happen. It's progression, not regression just because some people are starting to talk in a different way. Really-get over it. There is absoulutely NOTHING you can do to stop it. Except cry and yell and whine and complain but then people will just not like you.

O, were you but older...  

The Man who was Thursday

GeonsLegacy IV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:46 pm
Slash "Yo! Yo! Pass That Pen in here yo" it aint all bad.
xD  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:54 am
Hey.

Get over it. You can't change how people talk, and making a poll isn't going to stop them from speaking the way they do, which is probably inherited from friends or family who speak the same way.  

Spiritually

e d ! t o r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:00 am
Slang is taking over, but there's not much we can do about it, unless we form a Hitler-esque dictatorship where Grammar Nazis rule. As much as I like that idea, it's basically impossible under the United States government. Damn Constitution. xD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:00 pm
My thoughts is that it will never take over.
It is all too common in todays society but I doubt that in our age it will take over.
I have notcied as people age they become more mature, they speak proper english, and stop their 'wannabe' ways.

So no, I am pretty sure it wont ever take over.
Even though there are a select few that never change but hey, thats life, and in my opinion its those select few that get no-where in life.
Happy chatting!
<3 Dolly123  

i n s a n e c o c a i n e

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:02 pm
GeonsLegacy
Slash "Yo! Yo! Pass That Pen in here yo" it aint all bad.
xD

It might not all be bad (in your opinion), but that my friend, was bad.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:05 pm
shannonrwrwrw
nancyly
Slang truly is a destructive force. Not only is a disgrace to society, but it a bad reputation to everybody. Not everyone enjoys to use such language, and truthfully, "slang" is something I find very idotic.

It a bad? It's. It's a bad.

Sorry if that was irritating but you are sitting here calling slang a disgrace and yet you sit here and can't put thos S's and apostrophes.

I believe those things are called typos dear.
Simple mistake?  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 pm
Gachetemas
Shonen_Batman
Obviously, Slang will take over Proper Grammar.
The thing that angers me so, is that stupidity is widely accepted.
In my school (and other schools), I am tired of the "Wiggers" and (no offense in any way) the Minorities that subject themselves to Stereotypes.
I corrected a girl in my Seventh Grade English class, and she called me a "Cracker".
Of course, I said to her "I hope you know that's Racism."
Girl: "naw' it ain't. cracka' is a term fo' stupid white peoples like you."
Me: "But... you're Caucasian too."
Girl: "TEACHER! Dis' cracka' is calling me a Whitie."
Of course, my English teacher told her that was a Racial Slur for white people, and she still denied it.
After this all happened, this girl's family beat me up.
Yes, that's right.
They BEAT me, because I simply corrected her.
eek (In my opinion)This is a sign of the Times.
The World is Doomed to forever be dominated by nonsensical moron's who Delude themselves to thinking they're another Race simply because it's "cool".

(Chromium Actinum Potassium Erbium)

"Cracka" or "cracker" is a term for a white person. It's not a racial slur. You are what you eat. So a "beaner" is someone who eats beans. A Mexican person. See. It's not so bad. It's very different from calling a Democrat an "a**" or a Republican an "pachyderm." Sometimes it's even a term of endearment. Like our engineering and computer teacher Mr. Bramley's nickname. Everyone calls him "Bram." Some call him "Bram Cracka." (Bromium Americium Chromium Actinum Potassium Erbium)

But it was how she implied it to be as to how he corrected it.
She may not of fully understood, but she had the idea.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:10 pm
I think it depends on how you define slang. For some people, slang is what others consider bad or impolite grammer. Others think it involves making up new words. It just depends who you are talking to, and who you are talking about.  

The_0ther_Account

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces