Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
What is the longest word in the dictionary? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Iveris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:39 pm
^^ Almost. You forgot the first 'e.' *must resist urge to use chat speak*

Laugh out loud.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:14 pm
__X__Naomi__X__
Is there a phobia for long words?

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of incredibly long words.  

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

limp dick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:19 pm
[Apoc]
^^ Almost. You forgot the first 'e.' *must resist urge to use chat speak*

Laugh out loud.

And there's an "e" in place of an "a".

The word is antidisestablishmentarianism.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:23 pm
Ah, well, I only read so far. No matter. I think you get a free pass when spelling the longest word in the dictionary.  

Iveris

Mia_Marque

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:41 pm
Ah, it's so much fun pulling out the word "antidisestablishmentarianism" when in the presence of the illiterate masses. Try it at school and see how everybody looks at you like a freak.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:00 pm
Must we really waste our time looking in there?  

`Lenzor

The Shoe Pile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:44 pm
Wow. How you even remember the spelling of all those long words? eek  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:38 am
It isn't a waste of time looking up words in the dictionary to see which one is the longest. I myself, loves to looking up words from the dictionary. I learn new words everyday, just by looking up words. I know it sounds bad, but it's true. You just never know someday you maybe usig those words in College.  

Shelton3369

Friendly Gaian

7,975 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
diabloking378 generated a random number between 12 and 25555 ... 22213!

diabloking378

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:14 am
Sorry, I have no clue as to what the longest word is.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:38 pm
Well I was looking it up on Wikipedia. Search on Google and click the Wiki link.  

Revolvers

Neurotic Valentine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:46 pm
dorkifiedchick
Smoozle
PrincessPeachey
Hehe, hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. How ironic, all 37 letters of it.

Yes, but that isn't a word. It's a Phobia. The longest word is:

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanyla lanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalany lphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspa rtylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleu cylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspar tylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylser ylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonyliso leucylglutaminylaspfraginylalanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylpheny lalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglutaminylcyste inylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylargin ylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylgl ycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylpheny lalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalany ltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylva lylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglu taminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalan ylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucy lphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartyl aspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylalanylseryl tyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylseryl arginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparag inylarginylalanylalanylleucylprolylleucylasparaginylhistidylleucy lvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparaginylalanylalany lprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucylser ylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylas partylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylser ylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhi stidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylglutamyllysylmethio nylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylp rolylmethion yllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine.

But that isn't in the dictionary!

^ I see spaces, so that doesn't make it one whole word, does it? Unless the spaces were done on accident.

You got me there>_< I would never be able to pronounce this  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:29 pm
THe longest word ever:

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia--Fear of long words.

OH THE IRONY!  

CristoVII

Tsalagi1923

Enduring Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:20 pm
Lip­smackin­thirst­quenchin­acetastin­motivatin­good­buzzin­cool­talkin­high­walkin­fast­livin­ever­givin­cool­fizzin

100 letters and I got it from Wikipedia

The longest non-technical word is: flocci­nauci­nihili­pili­fication with 29 letters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:29 pm
Wow! I'd love to be able to read these words (especially the really long one from Smoozle!), since I am trying to get into the National Spelling Bee, but they hurt my eyes and my brain, and I can barely even pronounce the first line of...that word from Smoozle!  

chrystalclear

Shelton3369

Friendly Gaian

7,975 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:08 am
chrystalclear
Wow! I'd love to be able to read these words (especially the really long one from Smoozle!), since I am trying to get into the National Spelling Bee, but they hurt my eyes and my brain, and I can barely even pronounce the first line of...that word from Smoozle!

I wish you the best of luck at the National Spelling Bee! I know what you mean about trying to pronounce the longest word. I have a hard time pronouncing some of the words used in the medical fields.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff