Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Poetry
My Disturbing Emo Poem Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YoTeAmo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:22 pm
Electrash

At this point I am very much agreeing with YoTeAmo. Except for on one thing. By stating that the poem is 'Emo' which she did do, she is implying a stereotype. The content can be taken the wrong way, as it does give the impression that she is saying Emos want to die just because they're bored, whether she intended it or not.

No offense, but you're wrong about the stereotype thing. She is not giving a stereotype. That was stated a few times on here. It was an "emo" poem because it was emotional. Not because she wanted to say that all "emos" are like that.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:28 pm
Ok. This was ok....Im sorry but it bugs me when people use the same ryhmeing word over and over. I mean, it just states that you have no brain power. Sorry. You have the right idea, but really. Come up with somthing better. (Not ment to be rude, but helpfull)  

Dark_rose_fighter

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:06 pm
Try changing the second line of the second to last stanza to "So here I die" or "So watch me die." That would be neat.

Viva la vie Emo!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:30 am
YoTeAmo
Electrash

At this point I am very much agreeing with YoTeAmo. Except for on one thing. By stating that the poem is 'Emo' which she did do, she is implying a stereotype. The content can be taken the wrong way, as it does give the impression that she is saying Emos want to die just because they're bored, whether she intended it or not.

No offense, but you're wrong about the stereotype thing. She is not giving a stereotype. That was stated a few times on here. It was an "emo" poem because it was emotional. Not because she wanted to say that all "emos" are like that.

Yes, I know. But it did come across that way. Which is why I said ''whether she intended it or not.'' By titling it ''My Disturbing Emo Poem'' she does make it seem like she's stereotyping.  

Frankendoll.

YoTeAmo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:33 pm

No, that's just the thing. It doesn't make it appear that way. Some people get offensive right away and take it that way, but really the title just says that it's an emoTIONAL poem since emo is just short for emotional.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:14 pm
YoTeAmo

No, that's just the thing. It doesn't make it appear that way. Some people get offensive right away and take it that way, but really the title just says that it's an emoTIONAL poem since emo is just short for emotional.

I guess where people are coming from on this one is, Emo is a well known lable, people are always slagging it off and stereotyping everyone that classes themself as an 'Emo'. If she meant it as just emotional, she would have typed ''My Disturbing Emotional Poem''. Her choice of language makes it come across as stereotyping.  

Frankendoll.

YoTeAmo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:21 pm

You do not know what her intentions were with the poem name. I have 3 poems (maybe two?) that have the word "emo" in the title and the poems are very depressing (about cutting, suicide, death, tears...), but when I wrote "emo" in the title, I meant it as "emotional".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:11 pm
YoTeAmo

You do not know what her intentions were with the poem name. I have 3 poems (maybe two?) that have the word "emo" in the title and the poems are very depressing (about cutting, suicide, death, tears...), but when I wrote "emo" in the title, I meant it as "emotional".

No, you're right.

What I should have said was "She should have typed ''My Disturbing Emotional Poem''

Either way, no matter what she meant people still recognise the word ''emo'' to be a lable. When someone reads said word they think of the lable not the word 'emotional', because it's more commonly used in that context.

Frankendoll.

YoTeAmo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:41 pm

I personally feel that if a person associates "emo" as a stereotype word, they are being hypocritical in most cases. Just because it says "emo" doesn't mean that it's a stereotype and that the author it classifying "emos". In a way, by jumping to the conclusion that it is a stereotype, you are stereotyping the author.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:30 am
YoTeAmo

I personally feel that if a person associates "emo" as a stereotype word, they are being hypocritical in most cases. Just because it says "emo" doesn't mean that it's a stereotype and that the author it classifying "emos". In a way, by jumping to the conclusion that it is a stereotype, you are stereotyping the author.

Yes, I agree. You're right on that one. I wasn't defending those that were having ago at the author for what they thought she meant, I was only saying that I knew where they were coming from on this. Which I do understand.  

Frankendoll.

AshIynn

5,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:55 am
I'm sorry but this is kind of offensive, what your saying is just because somebody is emo they are going to kill themselves just out of boredom. I have friends who are called 'emo', I've been called it, and I know for one I or they aren't like that
And even if Emo is short for emotional its the same point, your assuming that just because somebody's either emotional or emo they're going to kill themselves out of boredom. Its sterotypical

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:54 pm
and awesome.  

Gachetemas

outofit96

Codebreaking Tycoon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:10 pm
No offense to anyone that commented and didn't intend to get off topic, but I think those of you that did need to stop criticizing each other and get back to giving the author of the poem constructive criticism. That's what this is supposed to be all about... confused
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so quit arguing about who is wrong and who is right. The truth is, only the author can decide what's what...
And now, I'm gonna give my opinion. To the author:
I think the poem was a bit simple, but I think, in a disturbing way, it conveyed just how bored you must have been. You shouldn't have to apologize for creativity in any form, but that's the way it works out with some people. I think it shows that you're an okay person to try to appease people like that. I don't think you meant any harm. You were just really really bored. xd

Poetry

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff