View Results

magic_doglover

Distinct Dog

6,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:31 pm
there is no way to be certain one way or the other, of course, but i think i believe that we do have free will. there is no real logical basis for that belief, simply because there can't be. it is very easy to think of seemingly intelligent arguments against it, though, i must admit. for instance, time. we assume that the past stays the same, so doesn't that kind of suggest that, in the past, people don't have free will? and since the past used to be the present, and then the future, you could extend that idea to those two aspects of time, as well. then again, we don't even know if the past doesn't change constantly, since, if it did, that change would change the future as well, so we wouldn't even notice the change. the new past would have seemed to always have been our past.
of course, there is another idea entirely that must be explored. even if all of time (past, present, and future) is fixed, does that mean that we don't have free will? just for the sake of my current train of thought, i'll assume that there is no deity that controls our actions. in that case, if there is no entity which is controlling our actions, who is there to control us except ourselves? that may be a weak argument, though, since it is just as likely that we are all just giant lumps of molecules that react in completely normal, scientific, and ultimately understandable ways. but who can say that those reactions aren't free will? after all, even the people who passionately believe in the supernaturally individual/independent nature of the human mind usually admit that they make decisions based off of what they know and experience. in other words, they react to things.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:38 pm
Im semi/undecided religious and I beleive free-will is the most sadistic torture device made by god. When a person has morals and principles that they've been conditioned to obey. They are forever bound to them especially if they are sensible then, any intelligent being will realize their "barking range" (how far you can wander until you're chain pulls tight and all you have left is your bark).Free will sometimes determine your actions and sometimes others are spontaneous....  

andreironhammer

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:36 am

What makes free will "sadistic"? What if you have morals and principles that are not all about making your life miserable and possibly short, eh?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

51: Philosophy.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff