Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
What's the Phrase You Hate the Most Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

C y a n i d e[C a n d y

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:17 am
Oh boy, here we go.

I cannot stand any "Valley Girl, Redneck, or Noob" dialect.

As in:

"Like, OMG, totally, no way, like seriously!"
"FER SURE!" <---- I HATE THAT. It makes me want to rip the person's skull off. neutral
"1337" Need I say more? stare

People that constantly type "lol" online. If you've got nothing better to say, please don't say "lol." You are not laughing out loud. Say something appropriate for the current moment in time, as in, "I see, Interesting, Oh, etc." And if you have nothing to say, either DON'T SAY ANYTHING, or simply reply, "I don't know what to say to that." It's not that hard, people. stare

And people, please. The term, "overrated," IS overrated. Please don't use it anymore. Who cares if something is "overrated?" If you like it, you like it. It shouldn't bother you that other people don't. Sheesh. rolleyes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:09 am
"Gay."

Unless we are talking about Richard Simmons or Ryan Seacrest, don't tell me something is "gay." I can't stand hearing it.

Just for reference (because my friends are known to jokingly say these kinds of things from time to time):
lol = "lawl," rhymes with bawl
rofl = "roffle," rhymes with waffle
lmao = "elemayo," pronounce each letter reallysuperfast
stfu = "stufu," rhymes with snafu

I also hate "nomesane." As in "I can't pronounce 'you know what I'm saying.' "

"Supposably." Gah! stressed

Also for reference:
Git R Done not Get 'R Done
Should've not Should of

People who cannot spell very simple Gaian words or understand very simple Gaian concepts:
ITEMS, not IDEM, ITEAM, ITUMS
You have a SALE, where you SELL items, do not confuse the two!
DONATION, not DOANTION, DOANATION, DONASHUN
Gaia uses GOLD, not $$ or DOLLARS or DOLLERS
DONORS and DONATORS, not DONERS and DONATERS

m a d c a p .

Undertakerfangirl

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:27 pm
Personally, I can't stand "I could care less"...no, you couldn't. If you cared any less, whatever you didn't care about would have to care about you, because it would be in debt of caring!!

Also, I don't mind cussing if it's used properly...BUT NO ONE USES IT PROPERLY!!!!! I know, that shouldn't be in all caps, but it's the only way to show that I would be shouting if this was spoken, and I'm speaking in my head as I type. So it works. What I mean by "properly" is as meant by the literal definition in a situation where it fits and is correctly conjugated. But I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one, at least in my school, who knows how to do that.

"Gay." If it isn't used to describe a homosexual, or happiness, people shouldn't say it. Period.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:56 pm

I can't stand it when someone says the following phrases:
1.Really? (No..I just thought it would be cool to say that...)

2.I 'betcha' (Betcha is not a word...It's two words..I BET YOU!)

3.Ain't (Also not a word! Try saying isn't!)

4.Ain't ain't a word so I ain't gonna use it (so many problems with that one! It sould be "Ain't ISN'T a word so I'm NOT GOING TO use it.")

5.text phrases like Jk, omg, w/e..just don't SAY them..If you're going to type them, I guess I'll deal with it, but I'll throw a dictionary at whoever says them.

6.Like..& then like... (take the 'like' out of the sentence..you can use it occasionaly, I suppose, but not more than once in a sentence!)

YoTeAmo

m a d c a p .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:48 am
YoTeAmo

3.Ain't (Also not a word! Try saying isn't!)

4.Ain't ain't a word so I ain't gonna use it (so many problems with that one! It sould be "Ain't ISN'T a word so I'm NOT GOING TO use it.")

Actually, "ain't" is a word. It can be found in just about any dictionary, and was popularized by Elizabeth I, if I'm not mistaken. That's Shakespearean English, for what it's worth.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:50 pm

My least favorite idiot's phrase has to be 'my bad'. What the hell! Why would you say that! burning_eyes

Zoe green eyes

4,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Dressed Up 200

Gilco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:58 am
I just saw a peice of text-talk that is totally new to me. Ossm (Awsome). I would not go so far as to say it's one of my most hated but I could easily see it getting very annoying.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:47 am
"My bad."

This is not a good replacement for: "My mistake." / "I'm sorry." / "Excuse me." / "Oops."

Hopefully the overuse of this phrase will drive it into extinction.  

TheCranialSlave

Astral Sun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:16 am
I'm not really sure why, but "See ya" really bothers me.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:13 pm
The on thing I hate is when someone says "What! you gatta be crazy"and then they call you stupid because they think your wrong,but your realy right.  

elfymoogle

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:20 pm
ROFLCOPTER.

Need I say more?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:16 pm
"I'm doing good in English"

gonk  

Cintax Error

Act of Random Kindness

1,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:14 pm
I hate the phrase "What it do?"
scream I'M NOT AN "IT", I'M A HUMAN BEING!!!!! COULD THERE BE A MORE RUDE GREETING TO SAY!?!?!? scream  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:57 pm
I hate it when people say "lawl"  

Pink-Elephant-Lad

Blocktapus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:09 pm
the Great Gnu
"Like" is the most annoying thing ever.
As in: "Like, I was like, going to the mall like, and some guy like bumped into my car! I was like totally like mad."

no. you I bet you were not "like" mad, you WERE mad.

My sister talks like that.. ..The only difference is she talks and says "like" multiple times instead of just once each time and she also keeps saying "and."
EXAMPLE:
...And, and, and, like, it was so so so cool! I Like, Like, Like, I love it!

And I hear something like that every day.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff