Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Cross-Country Stereotypes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:55 pm
People from my state are portrayed as being well-educated ultra-liberal people who fully accept and embrace the ideas of gay rights, feminism, and the like. We also can't drive well, are rude, and cannot under any circumstances pronunce "ar" or "er" sounds.

My state is Massachusetts, and sadly, a lot of these sterotypes are false. There is still a lot of homophobia around, even though the state was the first to legalize same-sex marriage. There are also a lot of people who don't give a damn about education, which is really sad.

However, some sterotypes do hold some truth. A lot of people have poor driving skills, and in comparasion to people I've met in different states, regions, and countries, people here do seem, as a whole, a good bit ruder than people in other places.

Lastly, it is true that many of us cannot pronunce "ar" or "er" sounds...

... and as a random fact, in Massachusetts there's a Dunkin' Donuts at every other corner.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:28 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Krypta9
Isobel Bellamy

Americans:

Red-Neck colonialist upstarts. (this could go on for a while..) Americans are usually pictured as arrogant, cocky, and too self confident for such a young coutry by far.

It's sad how true this is for so many people. I'm really glad that I at least live in Seattle and not, like, Alabama or Texas or something. I would definately die of overexposure to idiocy. No offense to Alabamans (is that a word?) or Texans...The stereotypical Americans just seem to gather in places like these.

Ah, the quote thing isn't working! Whatever.

Fixed it for you^^

Ah, seattle. Stereotype for that city: all the males there are grungers on heroin, or gangsters selling the heroin.

Hm, you get the people that fit the stereotype everywhere. I'm currently nursing a poor drunken girl, fitting her stereotype that teen girls spend their weekends getting drunk.
You forgot about the starbucks, how there is 3 starbucks for every 1 actual shop or eatery.  

Rellik San
Crew

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:42 pm
Rellik San

You forgot about the starbucks, how there is 3 starbucks for every 1 actual shop or eatery.

Lol, we have two Starbucks in our city centre, within a 1 minute walk of each other rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:46 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San

Lol, we have two Starbucks in our city centre, within a 1 minute walk of each other rofl
....You think thats bad, you can navigate manchester by starbucks and subway alone.  

Rellik San
Crew

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:48 pm
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San

....You think thats bad, you can navigate manchester by starbucks and subway alone.

That's true of any city! You can guide someone by starbucks, McDonalds, Subway, Burger king, and Pizza huts to wherever you want in whichever western city in the world!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:51 pm
cold.wire.lips
Rellik San
cold.wire.lips
Chaos A.D.
.+Melanthios+.
Isobel Bellamy
In the UK: black people are violent gang members or church enthusiats (yes, there are black people in Britain, I got told we don't have any from an American o.O)

Yeah, I get surprised by the amount of american people who say there aren't any African-Americans in Europe.......basically because we didn't naturally migrate to the US.
there are a lot of black people in the UK

really?
And I just thought they were turning the Pubs into mosques for the hell of it. stare

uh, mosques are Islamic places of worship. i fail to see the correlation.

I don't either, but there are alot of people who migrated from Africa in many places, Europe happens to be one of them mainly because of the slave trade. Also, we're scattered reandomly across the globe for no reason, really..........

.+Melanthios+.

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:51 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San

That's true of any city! You can guide someone by starbucks, McDonalds, Subway, Burger king, and Pizza huts to wherever you want in whichever western city in the world!

I remember a simpler time, before starbucks and subway existed over here. Oh how the streets seemed complex.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:55 pm
Hm, random musing:

In america, people of African origin are "african american"

People of indiginous american origin are "native american"

white americans are "americans" ......surely they should be "european american"?!!  

Isobel Bellamy

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:00 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Hm, random musing:

white americans are "americans" ......surely they should be "european american"?!!

Would you really want any association with the average white american stereotype?

I wouldn't... neither would most of Europe, besides, its a country that won it freedom fair and square with an army of religious zealots and British traitors, if they had lost that war, Washington would've been hung for high treason.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:05 pm
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Hm, random musing:

Would you really want any association with the average white american stereotype?

I wouldn't... neither would most of Europe, besides, its a country that won it freedom fair and square with an army of religious zealots and British traitors, if they had lost that war, Washington would've been hung for high treason.

*ducks and covers for the incoming spate of abuse from patriotic americans about to reign down on rellik's arse*

Nice knowning you!  

Isobel Bellamy

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:07 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Hm, random musing:

*ducks and covers for the incoming spate of abuse from patriotic americans about to reign down on rellik's arse*

Nice knowning you!

Its true, they can hide behind it all they want, but until the declaration was signed, they were british traitors, they only actually won, because we were fighting, I think it was 3 other wars at the same time. Something silly like that. Whats that saying, history is written by the victor, but when you look at it objectively, you realise the situation around that victory, makes it not so grand as people like to think.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:20 pm
Rellik San

Its true, they can hide behind it all they want, but until the declaration was signed, they were british traitors, they only actually won, because we were fighting, I think it was 3 other wars at the same time. Something silly like that. Whats that saying, history is written by the victor, but when you look at it objectively, you realise the situation around that victory, makes it not so grand as people like to think.

Hey, not disputing it, just saying that that view is gonna rub a few people the wrong way, and then abuse of "you limey b*****d!!" (without knowing why the use of limey is used) will probably be imminent.

And the Brititsh were bastards with the colonies. Though, interesting fact of the American War of Independence, the British blew up the White House to smitherines xd  

Isobel Bellamy

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:37 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San

Hey, not disputing it, just saying that that view is gonna rub a few people the wrong way, and then abuse of "you limey b*****d!!" (without knowing why the use of limey is used) will probably be imminent.

And the Brititsh were bastards with the colonies. Though, interesting fact of the American War of Independence, the British blew up the White House to smitherines xd

I still say when I die, I want to surf the nuke that'll land on the white house. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:38 pm
This isn't about my country (as I'm English and I believe it has already been covered) but more on my City.

I'm Scouse, or in other words, I'm from Liverpool. In the North-West of England. Complete rivals with Manchester. >: D

People say they we steal all the time. Often when I tell people where I'm from they pick on that. Which is actually quite funny. But the truth is... Liverpool actually has a low crime rate (except for on the Johns were if you're wearing anything other than a shell suit you get stabbed : /), AND we're very polite. I reckon we're The Scene 'cause this place is full of Scene Kids, they're everywhere. >_> <_<

Frankendoll.

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:41 pm
Electrash
This isn't about my country (as I'm English and I believe it has already been covered) but more on my City.

I'm Scouse, or in other words, I'm from Liverpool. In the North-West of England. Complete rivals with Manchester. >: D

People say they we steal all the time. Often when I tell people where I'm from they pick on that. Which is actually quite funny. But the truth is... Liverpool actually has a low crime rate (except for on the Johns were if you're wearing anything other than a shell suit you get stabbed : /), AND we're very polite. I reckon we're The Scene 'cause this place is full of Scene Kids, they're everywhere. >_> <_<

My girlfriend is from Wirral just across the mersey. smile

I constantly ask her about her hub cap collection. haha.

Well its a good job I'm from oldham and not manchester really. ^^  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces