Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
English teachers who can't spell. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:09 pm
I, fortunately, have never experienced this trauma of bad teachers. =/  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:41 pm
I can see how this can upset you. But hey, be glad that it's your English teacher that's making the mistakes and not your Science teacher giving wrong facts. My teachers haven't been too bad. They did have horrible handwriting though. xp  

The Shoe Pile

DJ_blak jak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:40 am
jackthepumpkinhead

Even so, its sad to think that likely these days there are a lot of students coming out of school who can't spell or write proper sentences, just because they were never taught properly, and not due to some sort of dyslexia.

The main problem with a teacher who is careless about his grammar or spelling is that he instills carelessness in his students as well. He is telling them subtly that it is ok not to do your very best, it is ok not to make the effort to check and correct your spelling or improve your writing.

The implied message to the student is that English speling and grammar are not important, and everything goes downhill from there. By the time they get out of school it is too late to correct them.

The same is true in Math. Even though it is axiomatic, parts of it still depend on correct calculations. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 pm
My freshman English teacher did as well, and it got on my nerves.  

Khale Demos

wrungxOUTxrainbowz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:18 pm
It is most likely to be well deserved. She shouldn't be teaching English if she can't even spell the English language. My teachers can't spell either and it bothers me. I try so hard not to yell out in the middle of class "UM, YOU DID THAT WRONG!!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:03 pm
Also is roll call spelled ROLE or ROLL? I'm unsure but I don't think it's ROLE which is how she keeps spelling it. I mean role would imply that you have a role in a play or something like that. I'm not sure and pardon me if I am wrong on this sweatdrop . I am still trying to learn, after all.  

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:22 pm
darkrose_eve
Also is roll call spelled ROLE or ROLL? I'm unsure but I don't think it's ROLE which is how she keeps spelling it. I mean role would imply that you have a role in a play or something like that. I'm not sure and pardon me if I am wrong on this sweatdrop . I am still trying to learn, after all.

I'm pretty sure that you're right, and that it's roll. That's how I've always seen it anyway.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:36 am
If that teacher always mis-spelled words, you should have told her that before she began another lesson, she should go back to university, get a real degree, and then come back to teach english.  

i n s a n e c o c a i n e

Shigures Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:44 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Yeah, if she's an English honors teacher, she should at least take some time out to check her spelling. I mean, why get the job if you can't even spell?

You can paint your life a rainbow of colors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:12 pm
ChibiStarlet
darkrose_eve

I'm pretty sure that you're right, and that it's roll. That's how I've always seen it anyway.

That's what I thought so too. My friend and I were just staring at it for a while trying to figure out just what the heck she meant when it occurred to me that she meant roll call as in calling out your name and you saying here. I was thinking, "We're not in drama, we don't even have roles."  

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

thizah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:11 am
I don't really think you're being harsh on him!! He's an english teacher for goodness sake!! He should learn the correct spelling of the words. If he doesn't know the spelling of a particular word such as "anglicisation", then he better not teach it to the class. After all, he used up 2 years(if in the Philippines) for these kind of things!

*just my thoughts*  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:05 pm
darkrose_eve
ChibiStarlet
darkrose_eve

That's what I thought so too. My friend and I were just staring at it for a while trying to figure out just what the heck she meant when it occurred to me that she meant roll call as in calling out your name and you saying here. I was thinking, "We're not in drama, we don't even have roles."

Yeah, I believe it's because you're calling through a "roll" of students...

--; That made no sense... Sorry.  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Houra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:42 pm
I had an English teacher last year who could not spell at all! He was listing types of music up on the white-board and someone suggested 'Japanese' so he goes to write in one the board and then starts talking, just after several people raised their hands to try and correct him on his spelling. He had spelled it 'Japanesse'. It was minutes before he paid any attention to us and then told us we were mistaken. We had to get out a dictionary and show him that he was wrong before he believed us.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:23 pm
I don't know about my English teacher. I haven't caught her spelling anything wrong, and trust me, I'm some weird spelling genius. Grammar is one of my best subjects(ironic because when I talk people who aren't around me all the time tell me to slow down. I take out some of the letters as well. xp ).

Anyway, my Geography teacher makes a few mistakes whenever he writes notes for us. I always catch them. I never say anything, though, because who would want to be corrected by a seventh grader?  

Fisharoni

~[TheMagicBirdy]~

Dapper Sex Symbol

3,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:45 pm
xd My teacher does that sometimes too; BUT, its even worse in math. My teacher abbreviates almost every single word. It scares me a bit sometimes when I don't know about "abt" (about) and thru (through) stand for sometimes.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff