Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
This cracks me up... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Funny?
  Yeah.
  No...
View Results

Kohy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:57 am
Prepositions, I believe, can be quite annoying. I wish I had learnt that song when I was learning the rules on its usage. That would have made things a lot easier when I was ten.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:47 am
To be honest, I couldn't tell a verb from a pronoun, but it hasn't majorly affected my grammar. I know where to put words, but have never been taught why they fit. =P  

MadnessFreak

ImaginationRunningWild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:25 pm
MadnessFreak
To be honest, I couldn't tell a verb from a pronoun, but it hasn't majorly affected my grammar. I know where to put words, but have never been taught why they fit. =P

Honestly, that's the way I am, too. In elementary school, there wasn't all that much emphasis on grammar in my literature classes and I'm seriously paying for it now in my English A.P. class.

Everyday, I hear it at least one time:

"What's never going to be found in a prepositional phrase!?"

Gah. neutral  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Yeah. To me pronouns and adverbs are rocket science.  

MadnessFreak

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:08 pm
Wow! I suddenly have faith in the human race! There are kids who actually care! Our gene pool isn't totally bunk!

Then again, I shouldn't talk. I'm barely sixteen. cool But in any case, I shake every one of your hands!

But yes, and the news is that it doesn't get any better. I've been waiting years and people's heads haven't even started to deflate.

Good to know I wasn't the only eleven year old that made adults swoon because I was somewhat intelligent. Key word being somewhat: I'm really not that smart. I just know how to speak and write without sounding like a goon.

It was the same way with me. In third grade I had a really stingy teacher that was phonics-obsessed. By then I already knew how to read (I guess I was just lucky; I read an 'exit' sign one day and then it snowballed) and I was bored out of my mind because she didn't even teach anything at all.

It went so far as for her to prescribe me with ADD (a disease that is not a disease at all, but simply a personality facet) and claim I needed remedial help. She didn't even know I had already read 'The Hobbit' when she was trying to teach me what 'T' sounds like. And then to make it worse she went on this terrible egotistical rant about being a teacher for 14 years and having 3 children and knowing more than any first-time parent.

It's swinish harpyesque teachers like these that ruin kids forever when it comes to English. No one learned anything until middle school, and then they were hit with the metaphorical grammar brick. None of them had used a comma in their lives and they were asked suddenly to write paragraphs? No wonder most kids choose to be illiterate chowderheads.

sweatdrop Please excuse the long-winded rant. I've got a lot on my plate when it comes to learning and education mishaps. And please forgive my sickening frequency of parentheses. I like them entirely too much.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:57 pm
Oh my, that is hilarious xd  

Trancina

1,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Angelic-Sargeant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:18 pm
I don't see the picture. It won't load I guess. I love it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:27 pm
Meh. Sorry.
Yay! I'm not giving the site link due to more 'adult' oriented strips, but I might post some more soon.  

MadnessFreak

Lady Dracor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:02 pm
That was pretty amusing. I wish -college- was like that. Most college students can barely write a professional-style paper (I feel old now, I'm in college! gonk ). I had to edit a classmate's paper once; he was 26. He spelled "ambulance" as "amulase." I lost more faith in the human race that day.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:39 pm
eek
I'm redoubling my belief that 'Grammarians are superior', unfortunately.  

MadnessFreak

Wolfie Kid

Fuzzy Flatterer

9,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:15 am
Wahahahaaaaaaaaaa...ah... What's preposition? sweatdrop We've never been taught that in ANY of my schools, not even the Girl's High Grammar school...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:02 pm
I only learned what a preposition was because of my Spanish class... heck, I learned more about the English language when I took Spanish than I did the rest of my time in school. All I can remember in my English classes was spelling and reading analysis. (Which thoroughly ruined every good book they made us read.)

My mom used to always say a sentence shouldn't be ended in a proposition, though. But to me that's just going a bit too far. Unless you want to sound really stilted and formal, most of the time there is no way to avoid it. It's like how, for correct grammar, one is supposed to say, "It is I," not "It is me." But who would say that?

To the person who didn't know: as someone else said, a preposition is "anywhere a bunny goes ____." In, under, above, with, beside, between... 3nodding Generally a helper word to describe how a verb is applied. So also words like "of," and "to."  

-l- Eli -l-

Shigures Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:47 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

XDD I wish that kids today were like that.

You can paint your life a rainbow of colors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:45 am
Horrible, but funny, I'll admit.  

Shade Skypage

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out