Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
Trying to prove a point! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do Aussies usually wear shoes, or do you prefer to be barefoot?
shoes
73%
 73%  [ 14 ]
Barefooot
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:01 am
Sex eh? domokun
Beer eh? XD

Hockey...;__;
We are teh gay at Hockey because it's not cold enough. XD  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:30 pm
We are the awesomest at Hockey! Probably because it's OUR sport! *gives the two finger salute to any Yank that tries to claim it* We invented it, we kick arse at it! But sex and beer drinking run a close second. *winks*  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:21 am
Myeah, we countries rox00r at beer and sex, pity there isn't a world event. XD  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:41 am
DNA_Guru
Hmm, but we are a better sporting nation. biggrin

Summer gaming nation. But really I suppose over-all if you're gonna tally it, we still win.

I'm sad to see that you were proven wrong Bemused. You could still claim partial success in that we don't wear shoes very often in Summer time at least. 3nodding  

WellzY
Crew

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:52 pm
Guru - Yeah, pity that. Although I'm not sure having sex would be a very successful Olympic event. Way too much distraction and all for any honest judging to take place. *winks* But the ratings would definitely be at an all time high! All they'd have to do is pair up a Canuck with an Aussie (or Kiwi, I'm not piccy *laughs*) and let the games begin! *bright smile*

Wellzy - Hmm ... I suppose I could just call it a tie instead of a total loss. I mean, it was winter up here when she told me about Aussies not wearing shoes, which means it was summer down there for you ... so technically I could be right. *devilish grin* And I do like being right when it comes to facing off against a yank. *winks* Depending on what the stakes are I might enjoy losing to an Aussie bloke. *giggles*  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:11 am
BeMuled MissBeth
Guru - Yeah, pity that. Although I'm not sure having sex would be a very successful Olympic event. Way too much distraction and all for any honest judging to take place. *winks* But the ratings would definitely be at an all time high! All they'd have to do is pair up a Canuck with an Aussie (or Kiwi, I'm not piccy *laughs*) and let the games begin! *bright smile*

Bring it on, I'm game. XD  

DNA_Guru
Captain

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:58 am
I bet you are! *winks* I've heard how much Aussie blokes love a girl with a Canadian accent. *laughs*

Side note: I've begun reading 'In A Sunburned Country' by Bill Bryson ... brilliant! I can hardly put it down! I take it to work with me, I read it before bed, I read it while I eat! I just love his hilarious descriptions of Australia, her people, her land, everything. This is good stuff. If anyone here hasn't read it, I strongly advise at least having a skim of the first chapter. It's too good. And it might give Aussies out there who haven't done much in the way of travelling a good idea as to why people of other countries view all of you as being so laidback and easygoing.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:40 am
Canadian accent, can't say I'm too picky with accents. It all sound relativley good to me. I'm not picky on nationality. xD
However I don't mind a bit of a Dutch or an Irish accent. Me girlfriend be Dutch, so a little bit of a help in me taste thar, but she does sound more American when she speaks in English. XD

I've actually taken to some English writers more recently, I think I just appreciate the humour.

Oh but I have read Michael Ondaatje's 'In the Skin of a Lion'. Very good description of early 20th Century Toronto. 3nodding heart

I'm glad there are some good Australian authors out there, I only like one. >_>;
Yeah, some people have some crazy interpretations of any society. Rocket. 3nodding  

DNA_Guru
Captain

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:50 pm
Mm ... I have to admit I love Aussie and Kiwi accents best. Not because of the 'North American chicks get turned on by it', though. I just love the sound. That and it's so familiar to me that it's almost like listening to a fellow Canuck now. *laughs*

The Dutch have great accents. *nods* I love them. I knew this one Dutch woman once ... lord ... if I weren't a straight girl ... *whistles* She was gorgeous (they sure know how to grow 'em) and I loved her voice. Lucky for you that you get to have one of your very own. *smiles and winks*

Oooh ... I'm not used to reading Canadian authors. I guess it's mostly because our literary artists don't get half as much attention as the Americans. Not that it's a bad thing since many American writers are phenomenal, but it'd be nice if we of the north and you of the south had some attention too.

And Bill Bryson isn't actually Aussie. He's American (from Iowa, I believe), but his writing is amazing. It's basicially an outsider's view of Oz, and it contains all his misadventures off the beaten tourist path of the country. It's priceless. *giggles* I could type up some excerpts to tantalize and tease you, but that would almost be cruel. *winks* It really is an incredible read, though. Very well done. I think any Aussie out there would love it. *nod nod*

However, on that note of Australain authors, there is one that I love (she's the only one I've heard of here in the Great White North). Sara Douglass. Gods. I bow to her. She's one of the most stunningly imaginative and descriptive Fantasy writers I've ever read in my life (and I'm a huge fan of Fantasy literature). Her innitial series 'The Axis Trilogy' and the follow-up series 'A Wayfarer Redemption' ... to drool for. I love her to bits, I worship her as an artist, and I hope someday to read her name again on another book. *smiles* I wouldn't mind finding a few more Aussie authors either.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:39 am
Mmm, I be very lucky to have my girl methinks. <3

Yeah, I'm not so much a fan of fantasy novels really. I just enjoy reading mainly historical fiction, something with a battle in it anyway. xD
Terry Pratchett is the only 'fantasy' writer I read. Although he relies more on his witty humour rather than imagery and I appreciate that just as much as a good deal of imagery.
As a writer myself I prefer to use alot of imagery because I can't slip in the ironic jokes and that sort of thing. Imagery is a great deal part of my writing because I can't seem to flow on with humour.
Anyway, I really think you should read some of Ondaatje, he's very descriptive too. I personally think you'd like it, sort of a post-modernist view of the history of Canada. It's really interesting. It was actually written in 1987 I think so I don't blame you if you haven't heard of it before. Have a look if you can.
It was actually a book I had to study for English so I know it inside out. Have a look. 3nodding  

DNA_Guru
Captain

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:15 pm
The only reason I haven't heard of/read many Canadian authors is because ... to be honest ... I never really payed much attention to them. Of course, I should know better seeing as how I'm a writer as well and aspire to have more than just poetry published someday. *blushes and shuffles toe on floor* I'll have a look at that Ondaatje fella, though. *nods* Just tell me he's not as descriptive as Tolkien. *shudders*

Out of curiosity, what kind of books do you write? Something to do with History, I imagine. *winks*  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:23 am
I go barefoot Bushman like, 40% of the time.....Man i love the feel of Pavement on my Feet...Like Ecstacy on the BRAIN! WOOOYEAH!  

WarriorShadow

Alexie_dennison

6,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:22 am
Hmmmmm Well it also depends on teh Climate.... in winter its socks or slippers(( mostly socks))
And in summer bear foot AND thongs (( the ones that go on Chuur Feets))
Diffimacult....  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:05 am
Socks. domokun

Fuzakeru Baka

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:20 am
BeMuled MissBeth
The only reason I haven't heard of/read many Canadian authors is because ... to be honest ... I never really payed much attention to them. Of course, I should know better seeing as how I'm a writer as well and aspire to have more than just poetry published someday. *blushes and shuffles toe on floor* I'll have a look at that Ondaatje fella, though. *nods* Just tell me he's not as descriptive as Tolkien. *shudders*

Out of curiosity, what kind of books do you write? Something to do with History, I imagine. *winks*

Well to a certain extent it is to do with History. Ondaatje wrote 'The English Patient' which you might know was transcribed to the silver screen
'In the Skin of a Lion' is more or less about the marginalised peoples of Toronto in the early 20th Century.
I will admit to you, he isn't as descriptive as Tolkien, but he writes really well. It's a great book in terms of it's richness. 3nodding

But yeah, I think you'd like it. You seem the sort of person that would appreciate a well written piece of literature. whee  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff