Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"Gay" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:53 pm
Eh, it only annoys me when the person is blatantly making remarks about homosexuals or seven people have said it in the past five seconds. Political correctness can't be followed all the time. When was the last time you referred to 'black people ' as 'African American people'? I try my best not to offend anyone, but still sometimes it's absurd to break your spine bending over backwards.

It's not so much the usage, but the fact that it's implemented around every two seconds that pesters me. It's become a buzzword. The world does not really need seventy billion things that are referred to as 'gay' every single second.

I really wish people could be more creative sometimes. It's easier to hold a conversation when you know what the other person really means. That is to say, what does 'That's gay!' really mean? I've heard it in negative AND positive context.

Perhaps it's comparable to the word 'nice' or even 'cute'. That kitten is cute. That boy is cute. That car is cute. That grizzly bear is cute. That mass-murderer is cute. What does cute really mean, not relying on it's definition, but in context?

But then again, that may be too much for people to ask. Sometimes I wish everybody would take five seconds to look up a new word in the dictionary. I promise you that everybody would actually find something cool. The day that someone exclaims 'That's galvanizing!' is the day that I will rejoice. Again, that may be a little too fanciful...

Still, I get funny looks when I rebuke a friend's idle chatter with 'That's completely asinine.' I wonder why? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:07 am
To me Gay means happy.
If it has a sexual bearing I care not what it may imply for judging people for a sexual preference is just wrong. It will be like prejudice against skin color or religion.  

ramforce

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces