Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
ZOMG Silver's a knitting freak! Updated: 4-22-07 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:54 pm
Acrylic yarns are ok for while you're learning, but soon you'll find yourself lusting for wool, mohair, and any other type of natural fiber you can get your hands on.. at least that's the way it was for me.

I like Bernat, for acrylic. It's soft and very passable. Their softee chunky is surprisingly soft! I also like their baby yarn. Stay away from Red Heart, ew.

For cheaper priced wool, I like Patons. It can be a bit pilly after being worn a lot but it's good yarn and very affordable.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:09 pm
Even acrylic has it's place... depending on what you want it to do. It washes, which is a great bonus for kids... but if it's ever in a fire it melts and sticks crying so not so good for anything a child might sleep with. So for me I ask the question: is it play in or live in? Play = acrylic Live = some other fiber  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:14 pm
Oooo Thank you for the yarn tips! I'll keep the thing about acrylic in mind.

Starting the blanket over is going slow. I'm currently at 55 of 126 stitches. Goal for tonight is to get to the 1/4 mark at 63 stitches. I'll update stitch count tomorrow. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:08 am
Ok so I forgot to post lastnight. xd I didn't make it to the halfway point of 126 lastnight either, but I made it to 85..... and I was falling asleep and still knitting. I felt it was time to actually sleep at that point. xd I'll update again later today. Might not get much done since hubby, baby girl and myself have a party this afternoon, and church this evening. I'll still try to update this evening. 3nodding  

Silver Sunrise

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:17 pm
Silver Sunrise
AriRashkae
If you're hooked on knitting, I've got 3 archives of patterns for you:

LionBrand Pattern Finder (some free, some not)
Knitty.com
DIYNetwork knitting patterns

DIYNetwork has a knitted lace sampler shrug if you need a second one. wink
I already had lion brand pattern finder bookmarked. *adds other two to the list* I'll have to look at the shrug pattern. 3nodding Yes must look at patterns! Thank you for the pattern links AriRashkae! biggrin Can I call you Ari? xd

Why not? My husband does (even though it's not my "real" name). rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:19 pm
Silver Sunrise
Minyaagar
Libraries have tons of knitting books, well at least mine does.
I should know, I have to put all the books away!!

Anyhoo, if you think that's a big stash of yarn you're kidding yourself.
I have two tubs of yarn that I have yet to use.
I'll check out the local library for patterns. 3nodding

Two tubs? how big are they? Like the oversized tuperware kind? 5 gallon bucket kind? That's gotta be alot of yarn. xd

Best part is you can basically grab the titel/author/ISBN # of a book off Amazon, and ask your librarian to request it from another library if they don't have it. If you live in Central or Western MA the process is even easier.

Me, I have about a dozen of those huge popcorn tins full of yarn (not counting the box with all the yarn for my husband's Super Mario sweater sweatdrop )  

AriRashkae

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:50 pm
AriRashkae

Best part is you can basically grab the titel/author/ISBN # of a book off Amazon, and ask your librarian to request it from another library if they don't have it. If you live in Central or Western MA the process is even easier.

Me, I have about a dozen of those huge popcorn tins full of yarn (not counting the box with all the yarn for my husband's Super Mario sweater sweatdrop )
That's a good thing to know! *makes a note of that* Hehe super mario sweater. whee

Blanket update!
I'm almost to 90 stitches! Yay! I hope to make the halfway point this evening. heart  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:05 pm
Yep. Big sage green pullover hoodie with a stompin' Goomba on the back and a squished one on the front pocket. And he even found graphs of the old-school sprites for me rofl  

AriRashkae

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:45 pm
AriRashkae
Yep. Big sage green pullover hoodie with a stompin' Goomba on the back and a squished one on the front pocket. And he even found graphs of the old-school sprites for me rofl
rofl That's awesome! I would LOVE to see pics of it (both in the works and finished). biggrin

Totally off the topic of my blanket I'm making or anything. But! I found a crafty way to use the fireplace in our apartment! I put a bunch of candles in it and lit them up. biggrin It looks great and makes less heat than a fire. Which means we can like actually use the fireplace here in Texas. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:52 pm
Silver Sunrise
AriRashkae
rofl That's awesome! I would LOVE to see pics of it (both in the works and finished). biggrin

Totally off the topic of my blanket I'm making or anything. But! I found a crafty way to use the fireplace in our apartment! I put a bunch of candles in it and lit them up. biggrin It looks great and makes less heat than a fire. Which means we can like actually use the fireplace here in Texas. xd

I love the way fireplaces look set up like that, it's so elegant and serene. ^^ And way less heat producing, great for Texas!!

That sounds like a neato bandito sweather, Ari!! Gooomba!  

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:56 am
faeriebell
Silver Sunrise
AriRashkae

I love the way fireplaces look set up like that, it's so elegant and serene. ^^ And way less heat producing, great for Texas!!

That sounds like a neato bandito sweather, Ari!! Gooomba!
It was great for a little extra heat yesterday. 3nodding

Blanket update: 98 stitches biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:47 pm
Wow. That Super Mario pattern sounds awesome!
I'm currently(as in I just set down the needles) designing my own halter top(in an ugly pink red heart yarn that I got for free). And I'm making a Slytherin sweater for the movie release in July!  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:28 am
Blanket update! I'm on the decrease rows! YAY! *dances* Progress pictures will be taken and posted after I get a little farther. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:46 am
Silver Sunrise

That's my favorite part about blankets - you can 'wear' them while you work on them smile  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:02 am
YourAzureGoddess
Silver Sunrise

That's my favorite part about blankets - you can 'wear' them while you work on them smile
Absolutly! And now that it's about 3/4 of it's final size it's a great lap blanket while I'm working on it. Though my daughter keeps trying to walk off with it. xd I think I may need to make her a blanket too. whee

EDIT: Progress Pictures! [pic 1] [pic 2] I have to admit, I'm pretty darn proud of how it's turning out.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff