Reply Fantasy Books Guild
What type of magic? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hiitachin Kaoru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:29 pm
I like the magic in the Rhapsody series because its a combination of natural and controled magic. almost everyone CAN do magic its just whether they want to or not.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:27 pm
I like the way Christopher Paolini described magic. You loose strength and energy every time you use it, and can only use magic within your abilities. It's not like some books where all you have to do is say an incantation and wave your little magic wand. I also like elemental magic. I'd probably have something to do with fire. smile  

Sawanga

Sileny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:48 pm
Hmmm...what don't I like?

I like the Will and the Word from David Eddings' series, because I like that your magic is defined by your mental barriers and mindset, making it truly unique.

I like elemental magic, because Nature has this sheer raw power that just cannot be matched.

I like the the magic and lore in the Symphony of the Ages books, because music is one of the most poweeerful things I've ever come across.

I like Pier's Anthony's Xanthian talents, because the're so original.

I bet I'm forgetting something...

I actually don't know what I don't like. Parameters, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:21 pm
Conjuration. Raistlin was the most powerful wizard to ever exist. IN ANY BOOK!!! He freakin killed an entire pantheon.  

Ex Obscurum ut Incendia

Rylash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:52 am
I'd love to do magic simply like in Harry Potter xp

However the magic used in David Eddings' "The Belgariad" is awesome.. Maybe a nice mix of the two.. if that makes sense..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:35 pm
I'd like to have the ability to defeat the evil that endangers all magical worlds. My weapon shapeshifts, and my clothes transform. Black magic I could only do if I feel hatred and anger. Kind of like the combination of star wars and all the books I've read and that I'm reading.  

lavenvi05

moonjinx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:24 pm
I've always wanted to be a shapeshifter. but other than that, air magic would be pretty cool. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:25 pm
Yay, another air magic fan! Air magic would be awesome to have. n.n  

NightIntent
Captain

tecche

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:17 pm
I'd like the magic from Diane Duane's Young Wizards series. Or the Sight from Tamora Pierce's Tortall world. The Sight would have to be really strong like Aly's though.

I like elemental magic in general, but not always. In every quiz I've taken, dictation by birth - I always end up an Earth element.

I love the idea of Healing magic - especially as Mercedes Lackey defines it in her Valdemar series. I'm not sure I would like it for myself, though. Another fascinating definition of healing magic that I liked was actually in Laurell K Hamilton's Nightseer. You take on the victim's wounds, then heal them on yourself. Or something like that. Again, not one I think I would like for myself, however.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:20 pm
Rylash
I'd love to do magic simply like in Harry Potter xp

I never understood the mechanics of Harry Potter magic. I understand that you practice, but I never understood why it sometimes wouldn't work. Is it based on a combination of will and the right words, or what? The latest book would seem to suggest that you don't actually need the words, because you can cast silently, if you're good enough. Are incantations just a primer for magic, then?  

tecche

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:40 pm
I've never entirely understood people's fascination with magic from Harry Potter. It's not all that original, and it's not particularly interesting to me. "Oh, look, I waved my wand and said some words! ...Why isn't the feather flying?"

I like Harry Dresden's form of magic in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, which is vaguely similar to Harry Potter's brand of magic, "classic" wizardry. But Jim Butcher explains it thoroughly and doesn't go back on his explanation of it. Ever. Which appeals to me more than JK Rowling's description of Harry Potter's magic.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:55 pm
Haw haw haw, I've wondered that too. "What's the matter, Ron? Did you say it wrong, or something? Do you have a speech impediment? Maybe if you put it on a tape recorder and tried it again, with just the right wand motion, which ironically seems to be the same for every spell...it would work!" I wish that's how things were. Learning magic would be the easiest thing.  

SapphireLancer

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:07 pm
xd Tape-recording spells. Oh, that's a funny thought. That would be priceless to see.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am
Oh God, I can see it now. You play back a tape and feathers start dancing around the room, and hedgehogs start turning into pin cushions....  

tecche

catz_rocks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:45 am
I'd love to control one of the elements, probably wind, as it's so free.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff