Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Should we fear Death? (opinion) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Promise to only state your opinion, no arguements?
  yeah. =)
View Results

XxLovely_MiseriesxX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:28 pm
Like its been stated many times before, it is pointless to fear the inevitable. The reason why people are scared of it is because they dont know what lies ahead for them after death. Im personally not afraid of death, but i am scared of how i will die.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:47 pm
It's not so much death itself that people fear, it's the unknown. People are just naturally afraid of what they don't know, or don't understand, it's the base of almost all phobias.  

Elochai Sammael

Lady Detarra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:01 pm
I don't think we should. I believe in reincarnation and while I'm not ready to die, I don't fear it. I know that my body with become part of the earth again and my spirit will return to a new life when it is ready.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:33 am
I had a dream a few nights ago that I was going to die, and I realized that I, like many others, am afraid of the unknown. It is inevitable, but anyone's who's been 'there' can't tell us. I don't really believe in heaven or hell anymore.

I don't know, I'm more worried about life than death.  

Reinik

Interstellar Abomination

Devastating-Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:32 am
Personally, I do not fear death. As many before me have explained, it is irrational, yet typical human behavior, to fear the unknown. And that's what death is: the ultimate unknown. Most people don't want to die, because they always think of something that they could have done better, could have perfected in their life. A lot of people think death gives wisdom. In my view point, in which there is no Heaven, no Hell, no God, no Devil, there is nothing to fear, and no wisdom to gain. Death is merely the end of it all, the inevitable passing of matter and mind. The only wisdom to gain, is to be gained during life. And, as Socrates once said, "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:40 am
I don't fear death... if anything I look foward to it... The way I look at it you die one way or another, and eventually.... When I think of sleep; I look at it as I don't need it, because I will sleep enough when I am dead...  

Devils_lilboy

DieiNoctis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:58 am
I'm actually feeling sort of trapped by life right now. I've been doing a bit of reading up on theoretical physics and the like, and the implications of what they say are startling.

The first thing that's uncomfortable is that consciousness might not be conscious at all. That is, all 'thought' might be pre-determined due to cause-effect chains leading all the way back to the big bang. Basically, things happen as they do because they, literally, can't happen any other way. Everything is composed of a few basic components that interact in very specific ways. It's entirely possible that human 'consciousness' is an illusion created by these random interactions.
The implication of this, of course, is that you have no actual free will, only perceived free will. Every thought you've ever had, and beyond that, every action ever made, was determined at the start of the universe.

The second is very much an extension of the first. There are theories derived from String Theory that tell us that there are eleven dimensions. Within these various dimensions is everything that can ever happen. That is, every event that can possibly take place in any universe, in any time line, anywhere, has already happened.
The implication of this is that not only our lives are pre-determined, but that all that exists anywhere is pre-determined. Nothing you ever do, even if you escape this universe, or this dimension, will be of your own free will, it will have been done before.

It's leaving me feeling a bit uncomfortable to think that no matter what I do, none of it's really of my own free will. Even the words I'm typing right now had to be typed. If I stop typing to try and escape it, that too will have been pre-determined.

I suppose there's two ways to look at this. The first is with despair, realizing that nothing I do, nothing I achieve, is really meaningful in any way, because it was meant to happen.
The second is to see it as a blessing. Everything I do is fated to happen to me, so I can take solace in the fact that everything is 'taken care of', as it were. Even if I'm suffering, it's not "really" my fault, because it was fated to happen.

Of course, there's option three that says that these physicists don't really know what they're talking about, and just want to sound smart.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:10 pm
We should not fear death because death just as we should not fear the future, because we will know what happens when it comes, and besides, what's the worst it could do if we're already dead?  

UnoriginalName

starkespada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:12 pm
i dont fear death i imbrase it  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:31 pm
So far, we have 32 opinions, and 51 votes! keep those minds working! biggrin  

Pixelated Awesome

Cactus Attack!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:25 am
okay, the counting's weird but...
i do fear how i will die and what happens when i die because people on this planet are killing each other to prove that their religion is right and in a futile attempt are kinda trying to save each other by teaching them what they think is right. i believe that death is inevitable so to shy from it is weakness, but not to is impossibility because we are all hardwired with instincts about avoiding the questionable, but how many really do that? i believe that if everyone in the world kept their beliefs to themselves then we would be less afraid of the end.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Death should fear us. if one of us finds Imortality, then Death can't do anything about that. and if everyone lives forever, Death will no longer exist.  

deadlykill7

Never.Ending.Dream.2

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:41 am
I don't think death should be feared, it is a scary thought, but in the end, everyone dies, it should be embraced, but not to the point of you taking your own life.
Death is natural, just like life, and thus it should be accepted like life is, possibly more so, life is so easy to get rid of, where-as once you are dead, you cannot die anymore, you are peace, but life should be lived to the fullest until death comes knocking on your door...
(that's my thoughts anyway, they are very muddled up...)  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:54 pm
I've no problem with death...it's dying that terrifies me... eek  

Toast Is Me

Wheezing Smoker

deadlykill7

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:29 pm
I want to die a gruesome death biggrin  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash