What is your sexual orientation?
  Heterosexual
  Bisexual
  Pansexual
  Homosexual
View Results

Adolf Manson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:29 pm
I dont support anything besides being straight.I feel this way for my own reasons because i think its wrong.I dont think that the goth culture really has any way it really swings about that.if your gay/bi and goth then thats your issue otherwise if your straight and goth then ok.the isnt really any think as a collective group.you may have a few couple dozen at like max that are goth and dont like gays/bis.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:53 am
I am bisexual myself... and personally I don't know of much literature and such containing gay lovers, but I DO know that most of the goths I know from all over the world are either bisexual, pansexual, or gay.  

xShe Dreams Fiction

Cactus Attack!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:17 am
im straight (no fancy words sorry) and all i read or whatever is straight also probably because of the majority, there isnt any gays(that i know of) at my school and only a few bisexuals who are all girls who arent goth.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:59 pm
Wow... This is a really interesting topic.
Unfortunately, I fear that being Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual is a fad in the Gothic world... at least in my neck of the woods.

But, me be bisexual, and damn proud of it.
:3

[x]Macabre-Alamode[x]

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:15 pm
deathcomes_onsilentwings
Now that I think of it, I think goth is more about heterosexual love then homosexual. That's strange.

Have you not read earlier posts?

Quote:
"...the goth culture draws strong visual and thematic influence from literature whose romance is almost exclusively heterosexual"

It's not that it's all about heterosexual couples, it's just most of the influence comes from that. There are a lot of homosexual/bisexual goths out there, and it isn't strange either. How many works or literature written from below the 1950's feature homosexuality in a positive way? There really wasn't that much to take influence from. Now that being homosexual/bisexual is more widely accepted, it's starting to appear more in different areas of culture.  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:31 pm
I feel that I must disagree on the Anne Rice bit. Having read the Vampire Chronicles in their entirety I could help but observe the fact that every male character gets lucky with another at least once. It doesn't bother me, But I keep wondering if obsessions of this nature are healthy for a 60+ lady like Rice.^^

In general, I can't do much more than agreeing with most people here. If someone is cute enough and not completely shot-to-Hell as far as mind goes, I'm open for suggestions. Boy or girl doesn't matter, it's getting harder to tell which one is which, anyway. Which is good, seeing as the World would be a much better place if the people in charge were just a wee bit more fabulous.^^

So I am reluctant to call myself Bi, but seeing as I'll do anything for anyone with the looks, I suppose that would be the case.

..And people have the nerve to call me slutty. talk2hand  

Athiel

Identity99

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:53 pm
I seem to see mostly heterosexual situation when it comes to goth and goth sub-cultures. Though, I am goth, and I am bi-sexual.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:23 am
In Gothic Literature there's quite a few homosexual figues, the most examples I can think of are in vampire stories, for some reason (like 'Carmilla' by J. Sheridan Le Fanu). I don't know whether the culture is particularly focused on heterosexual relationships though...  

Charmed_Raven

Romantic Lunatic

4,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Team Edward 100
  • Brandisher 100

Cockroach Waltz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:35 pm
Did everyone forget about Siouxsie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siouxsie_Sioux  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:24 pm
Cockroach Waltz
Did everyone forget about Siouxsie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siouxsie_Sioux

Ehh... her marriage (to Budgie) always skewed most people's perception of her as straight, so it's reasonable that people would forget the she (for many years, and does, to this day) say that she never has identified herself as either straight or lesbian.  

GilAskan
Crew

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:05 pm
Athiel
I feel that I must disagree on the Anne Rice bit. Having read the Vampire Chronicles in their entirety I could help but observe the fact that every male character gets lucky with another at least once. It doesn't bother me, But I keep wondering if obsessions of this nature are healthy for a 60+ lady like Rice.^^

In general, I can't do much more than agreeing with most people here. If someone is cute enough and not completely shot-to-Hell as far as mind goes, I'm open for suggestions. Boy or girl doesn't matter, it's getting harder to tell which one is which, anyway. Which is good, seeing as the World would be a much better place if the people in charge were just a wee bit more fabulous.^^

So I am reluctant to call myself Bi, but seeing as I'll do anything for anyone with the looks, I suppose that would be the case.

..And people have the nerve to call me slutty. talk2hand

...No. stare  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:31 pm
I'm a girl and i like men. I may flirt like crazy but at night i'm going with my boyfriend.  

darkXmoon

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:52 am
Most of the vat of gothic literature was written in 19th century (I'm talking the old stuff, books about vampires are not gothic literature, they're more horror, there are certtain traits that make up gothic literature, Anne Rice doesn't write about that stuff.), this was a time when being gay was really not a good idea, therefore, only straight-love was written about. Unless you were the Marquis de Sade, then you just got locked up for public safety...*ahem*

The gay/bi interest isn't actually just a fad with Goth. Waaay back in the 70/80's goths would go down to the gay bars to be with other people that didn't conform with the rest of society.

The reason why the majority of popular books don't include homosexuality, is because it's a minority group within society. Not everyone has a interest in it, and so will buy books tht appeal to them, more people in hetero, so more hetero books are bought. Its not that homosexuality is under-represented (a trip to borders has a ratherlarge gay/lesbian and bi section, roughly half the size of the hetero), its just that it isn't bought as much.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:36 am
I've seen a lot in my time working at the Goth/fetish bar. I've seen a decent mix of hetero, bi, and homosexual couples. I think it's somewhat like the 'elephant in the living room', but different in the sense that there's a lot more acceptance of it.

One of the best gay Goth references I can think of is in the movie Gypsy 83, starring Sara Rue. As an Ohio Goth, I highly endorse the movie. You should check it out.  

Divinity Rage

Snows Wyntre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:37 pm
Heh... Listen to Voltaire's "Cantina", he sings goth music...

I don't know if this gives a 'positive image' really, but it is goth, and does get VERY homosexual.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff