Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
"You're to young" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever been told you're to young to (insert craft here)?
  yep
  nope
View Results

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:10 am
Main reason why little kids crack me up. They want to try to make EVERYTHING. No ones told they can't, so "please, please, please cant we try????"  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:00 pm
I've been crafting since I was seven and my mother showed me how to use a knitting-noddy (in order to keep me quiet while the rest of the family went to shovel the house out from a blizzard). I thought it was so much fun that by the next fall there was about 40 feet of purple cord- enough to make into a hat.

I was very upset that no one would believe that my 8 year old self had made the hat.  

Blue-eyes-green

~Viva~Per~Amore~

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:44 pm
People are always surprised when I know more about sewing than they do. It is kind of fun and entertaining whenI am able to give my opinion on the sewing machine and the technique to be used. by the way, does anyone have any really good tips on how to knit?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:21 pm
Love doing it- other than that, find someone that can actually SHOW you how, or go to www.knittinghelp.com and watch videos.  

Mangolyn

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:30 am
Knitting Tips-
-use plastic or bamboo needles and a naturalish fiber when your first learning- it'll be much easier to maintain a good tension
-My best luck in learning actually came from knitting books. I learned from a combination of Knitting Pretty and the original Stitch'n'b***h (Stitch'n'b***h got me able to jump from scarves and hats to mittens, sweaters, and socks...)  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:22 pm

i am mostly critized, bc i am a boy who knits, crotchets, sews and so forth... :'(

Kanhoro

Telith

Sparkly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:07 pm
I usually just get general disbelief that I can make things.

I've only been knocked down emotionally for it once but that dude already didn't like me for various other things. Most everyone else thinks it's bad a** that I can knit a halter top, and walk around the school with sharp metal objects.

And @ Kanhoro, I wish I saw more boys and men crafting.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:25 am
Telith
Most everyone else thinks it's bad a** that I can knit a halter top, and walk around the school with sharp metal objects.

For a senior project my roommate wrote a script for a zombie movie, loosely based on our group of friends. The me-charecter at one point kills a zombie in close quarters by shoving a knitting needle through it's eyeball. Knitting needles could be dangerous, but don't tell the transportation security agency, or school athorites please. It'd spoil the fun.  

Blue-eyes-green

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:20 am
I love it! Death by knitting needle. ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:29 pm
I don't get told I am too young, but when shopping with my mom people always assume she is buying this stuff.
Near the end of school I brought a sock to work on because the days were getting boring. I got comments of
What is that? though my favorite was
You're knitting... in a CIRCLE? Wow...
I'm quite worried that bringing some of my small, long needles would be bad. Schools are kinda jumpy about long pointy metal things. (I wonder why? rolleyes )  

anneadeline

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:11 am
My teachers dont pay attention to these things. They are normally more concerned with the toxic dust fumes all over the place. Or the power tools. Or the hot wires for melting/cutting foams. Or the variety of knives laying around. Makes sneaking in knitting alot easier. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:45 am
I am 15 but I look 10 and that makes it REALLY hard on me!! I can crochet, knit, sew and I LOVE making costumes and what not!! It's just that when people ask me where I got something and I say I made it..they always say.."Did your momy help you??"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That makes me mad and in this angry tone I say "NO!" And I keep walking and once during the school year I carried this SUPER cute purse I made to school and one of the seniors asked where I got it and when I told her that I made it...guess what she said "No you didn't. It's to good and your just a kid you liar!"  

my_eternal_dreams

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:20 am
One of my favorite things is when you lurk around a yarn store and they keep an eye on you because you're one of those no-good teenagers, and then you end up answering their customers' questions better than they do. twisted

Just another example of age not making a difference. I taught a friend's grandmother to knit last weekend, too. How's THAT for a flip?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:49 am
I've never gotten a 'too young' reaction while I've been knitting, though sometimes when I knit in public (other than at the library, everyone there knows I knit rolleyes ) people ask why and give me a weird look. But a couple years ago, when I went to Girl Scout meetings, I expressed an interest in learning to knit, and was told by a (admittedly mean/idiotic) girl that knitting was for old people.  

The Star is Vain

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:12 pm
my_eternal_dreams
And I keep walking and once during the school year I carried this SUPER cute purse I made to school and one of the seniors asked where I got it and when I told her that I made it...guess what she said "No you didn't. It's to good and your just a kid you liar!"

I hate this attitude. So crippling! I'm convinced people do that out of sheer envy stare

I have received this kind of comments once or twice, but not so straightforwardly... But I remember once, in elementary school - my best friend was crocheting a doilie during the break (and she was quite good at it!) and our teacher passed by our table and said: "wow, you're crochetting! don't you think you are too young to do that kind of stuff?" How can people be so narrow-minded about something so simple like artisan crafts? eek

By the way, take a look at this video! It's kinda related to the topic: it talks about men who knit whee  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff