Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Is misspelling "cute" to some? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bug Q Dlestra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:50 pm
Yeah, it bugs me. It's useless if it's intentional, since it just gets in the way of their message. Typos are fine; they happen. Even I type 'teh' without meaning it surprisingly often. I appreciate when someone is willing to fix typos after the fact, though, if possible. (I do all the time.)

I'm only amused by intentional misspellings if the post is particularly ridiculous, or if it's mocking such posts, or if it involves lolcats.  
Organic Shadows generated a random number between 7 and 13 ... 11!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:10 am
I am now in love with lolcats. That makes me laugh.

I'm going to post it in another forum.

Yay. ♥

Edit: sorry for the random number.. .wanted to see what it was stressed  

Organic Shadows

Mini Chew

Invisible Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:11 pm
I don't know if people misspell words to get attention. It could just be a way of getting words down faster.

Some people type that way in literate threads to get attention though.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:04 pm
People who consistently spell "the" wrong will eventually force me to try and fix them if they're one of my friends I chat with often. Strangely enough, if "the" is mistakenly typed with "hte", it bugs me much more than it would if the typo had been "teh" rather than "hte".

My girlfriend tends to type out and pronounce past tense words with an excess "-ed" such as "hurted" or "sawed", usually for cuteness. But sometimes she comes to the point where she can't help but type out or pronounce the excess "-ed". I usually find it adorable though.  

Soujiroh Nishikado

Hawk_McKrakken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 pm
Misspelling sure is cute... if you're attracted to the mentally retarded...

The worst I've ever seen was "kewl" (cool). I mean... God. That's just terrible.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:09 pm
I misspell "the" because of typos, and "teh" came from the use of 1337 from what I can see, because whenever I, or someone else types in 1337 it is always spelled 73|-| or 73H

my name was misspelled on purpose, its supposed to be an un-1337 way of typing in 1337

I misspell words for humor sometimes, like "NO WAI" or.. you know something like that, just to mock the people who normally type like that, and i add -ed sometimes ot add humor on to it as well.  

Tonberry Teh Haxxor

Dapper Dabbler

5,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

HERO Lissuh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:17 pm
I have no idea. All I know is that people who type like that really make me sick. How are we supposed to understand what a person is saying if they don't use basic English?

I can understand "teh" and "1337" if you're intentionally trying to be funny, but there is such a thing as overkill.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:46 pm
I only ever see or use 1337 in a comedic way nowadays, since now that everybody knows about it, 13375934K is no longer "1337". Unless it's used by a complete noob to make it look like they are pro, but in the end just look like an idiot.  

Tonberry Teh Haxxor

Dapper Dabbler

5,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Snorlax says NO

Bashful Feeder

20,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:14 am
I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in, but I've noticed that most people have started typing "are" or "r" instead of "our." And it also bothers me deeply that I can type more literately than say a 16 year old.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:55 pm
I should have told you this before, but I wasn't sure if it qualified as a horror story.

A txt-tlker once casually said the word "tits" without a hint of sympathy. I told her it was impolite, and then she got really frustrated and said something like this:

txt-tlker
What? cmon its not that inappropriate, just say it! TITS!!!

I guess her parents slapped her because she got bad grades at school... >_<;  

Tezur

Shygoddess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:28 pm
The cases of ever misspelling words I have ever had are when I'm in a hurry. When others are talking to me I don't mind some of the words like: "rawr" or "teh".  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:35 pm
Sometimes, the way that words are spelt is to indicate baby talk... Well, in my opinion that is.

(E.G: RAWR~ I'mma gunna kick teh widdle a**! 3nodding )

That is what I call Baby Talk! mrgreen

The other chatspeak... I find it plain annoying...  

Shikaeii

Starry Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:17 pm
Ugh! No it's totally revolting! I just saw an example of someone thinking they were cute talking like that!

It was a text talk nightmare! Their whole sentence was comprised of text talk and numbers! scream scream  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:43 pm
I know this one guy, and I can always tell what his topics are by the way he titles them.

"I WANTS MOAR!" is somewhat typical of a topic name for him.  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

omiyashi0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:48 pm
blueturnsgrey
Hm, do you mean people reading it find it cute, or the people who type it incorrectly think it's cute?

I'm guessing the latter.

And yes, I think that some people do just that. I just find it irritating.

Agreed.
I knew a girl that was very intelligent in everything. Yet occasionally I would get notes/texts from her that would say, "Me hungy" or "okeey" or "pwease." Everytime, it would eat at me. Despite my deep, deep affection for this girl, I couldn't ignore it for very long. Eventually I had to tell her to use proper grammar and spelling.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff