Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Defending your kind! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So what about Megadeth's most recent album?
  Excelent job!
  It was okay...
  I'm still deciding...
  Hated it.
  It's like a 7 or 8 out of 10..
  I don't listen to them.
View Results

dormant lime

Astounding Loiterer

12,200 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:10 pm
I don't use Goth to describe my entire self, but it does bother me when people insult the subculture.
My most recent irritation was I was on BearShare downloading songs, and all of a sudden I got an email from some 17 year old that simply said '******** satanic freak'.
Uhm....?
Goth doesn't = Satanism, for one. On the other hand, I sort of ignored the comment seeing as a seventeen year old just emailed me randomly, which I think is hilarious because he actually took the time out of his boring day to insult a fourteen year old he didn't even know.

Amusing.

The ignorance of some people really is bothersome, though. I've been called a satanist just for having a Slipknot wallet and listening to Nightwish. "If ignorance is bliss, I'd rather feel the pain of not having any."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:29 pm
XWraith_LordX
Rellik San
XWraith_LordX
Chansung
Milo Hephaistion
I'm an elitist. I believe that the more that people misunderstand or hate Gothic subculture the better because then they won't want to be a part of it.

I discourage as many people as possible from having an interest in Goth-related things, especially musically speaking.

yeah once it becomes popular (god forbid) we can't like it anymore

I hope you realize what you are saying about yourself to the majority of the guild.
Well everyone knows your not TRUE! if you sell more then 3 albums, if you do that your a sell out. XD

I think you misunderstood my comment, but selling more than three albums makes NO ONE a "sell-out", or you have a different definition of one!!

I was actually picking on the stereotype of the black metal elitists by blowing them out of proportion.  

Rellik San
Crew

Beatngufan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:14 pm
I don't get made fun of for being goth, thankfully, but people do get scared when I tell them that I can do tarot card readings  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:17 pm
Beatngufan
I don't get made fun of for being goth, thankfully, but people do get scared when I tell them that I can do tarot card readings

Why would that scare people? its making a prediction about a possible event in someones future, in order to give them some guidance about something that may or may not happen depending on the actions leading up to the event.  

Rellik San
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:40 pm
Rellik San
XWraith_LordX
Rellik San
XWraith_LordX
Chansung
Milo Hephaistion
I'm an elitist. I believe that the more that people misunderstand or hate Gothic subculture the better because then they won't want to be a part of it.

I discourage as many people as possible from having an interest in Goth-related things, especially musically speaking.

yeah once it becomes popular (god forbid) we can't like it anymore

I hope you realize what you are saying about yourself to the majority of the guild.
Well everyone knows your not TRUE! if you sell more then 3 albums, if you do that your a sell out. XD

I think you misunderstood my comment, but selling more than three albums makes NO ONE a "sell-out", or you have a different definition of one!!

I was actually picking on the stereotype of the black metal elitists by blowing them out of proportion.
Ah. My apologies.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:12 am
umm...i just do as i please and not care what any1 thinks...  

dakjdsancics

Elochai Sammael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:21 pm
I wholeheartedly agree with Kenzie's statement. ******** everyone else and their opinions. I know what I want and what I like and that's what I'll do.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:57 pm
Rellik San
Beatngufan

Why would that scare people? its making a prediction about a possible event in someones future, in order to give them some guidance about something that may or may not happen depending on the actions leading up to the event.
It scares them, Rellik San, because they do not have the blessings of understanding bestowed upon them. They're either afraid of what they don't understand, or think that if she can do tarot card readings...what else does she do? * dun dun duh....*

It could also be the "goth + tarot card reader = child of satan" in the persons mind...  

Henneth Annun
Captain

xPanzerFaust19x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:07 pm
An outcast does not defend other outcasts  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:23 pm
xPanzerFaust19x
An outcast does not defend other outcasts

Nice to know, but we're talking about goths.

Goth =/= Outcast  

GilAskan
Crew

Katanas Blade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:12 pm
My friend was listening to music and her dad walked in her room and said "Turn that satonic filth off!" (yes, say-taw-nik) When she told us what had happened, we all laughed our heads off. Her dad is older than the pyramids, so we never take anything he says seriously.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:19 am
Most of my classmates aren't exposed to goths and I do cop quite a few ignorant comments from them. I try to defend the subculture in a polite manor, like pointing out to people what the difference between a goth and emo is or the fact that goths can be religious.
Some people listen, some don't. It's not the end of the world.

Suicide Lollies

Tusyo

1,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:06 am
When people insult me I don't really do much. I kind of enjoy it, I find it funny. There are a few things I do defend myself against though.

Once a bunch of middle school kids were making fun of me and my friends on the late bus (the high schoolers shared the late bus with the middle school kids), so I went up to them and, well I don't exactally remember what I said, but I made them cry. It was fun.

Then another time one of my friends told me that one of her friends asked if I do drugs. I yelled on the top of my lungs "I don't do drugs! I'm not a moron!" This was in the school cafeteria.

And then, this actually happened several times, a bunch of kids used to walk around holding their pencils in the shape of a cross and chanting "May the power of christ compel you!" when even me or my friends walked by them. I started yelling "My the power of Beelzebub devor you!" right back at them, they stopped soon after.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:25 pm
Well, if I'm hearing insults it's not directly to me, because if someone looked at me "goth" wouldn't be the first thing they think of. I usually hear it in casual conversations. I don't get involved unless it's like, in a group in class or something and I'm a part of that group.

For example, a kid talking about his awesome-scary-hardcore music, said this.

"Goth and emo kids need to shut up, stop whining, and raving about their non-existent music."

I came in.

"Or, you know, they are kinds of music and just aren't popular enough for you to really know about."

"I know about all kinds of unpopular music, and those don't exist."

"Go look it up. Goth-rock. Tell me what you find."

"I'm not going to do that. I know it doesn't exist. It'd be a waste of time."

That's when I stop. I don't actually bust out and argue about it, because it doesn't matter to me enough unless it's continuous.

-Sylvia Blank Page-

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces