Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
GENERAL CHAT || Speak here. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 302 303 304 305 306 307 ... 664 665 666 667 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:56 am
Magnus Ignatius
WellzY
Magnus Ignatius
What about how ducks float on water?

Is there a word the means the same thing and sounds really cool?
I know not and do not feel like using a dictionary right now.

I don't think there really is, I was just being silly. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:00 am
WellzY
DNA_Guru
Magnus Ignatius
Oily layer of feathers helps. 3nodding

Really? I just realised I've never questioned why birds float on water. Does it also have something to do with the hollow bowns?
Moog. Something to that degree. o_O  

DNA_Guru
Captain

EmWah
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:00 am
WellzY
Magnus Ignatius
WellzY
Magnus Ignatius

Is there a word the means the same thing and sounds really cool?
I know not and do not feel like using a dictionary right now.

I don't think there really is, I was just being silly. sweatdrop

BOUYANCY!!! They are quite bouyant. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:01 am
I am in a "lets sound intelligent mood tonight." If I am sounding like a jack arse or some over learned British scholar, then I am doing what I have intended to do.  

iamNOTanidiot

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:02 am
EmWah

Which meeeeeeans... what?

Magnus - if you intend to, I expect something convincing.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:06 am
WellzY
EmWah

They float... doiii science guy
neutral  

EmWah
Crew

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:09 am
If I were to eat my pants, then perhaps the weight ratio to the latter of my body will increase. o_O  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:13 am
EmWah
They float... doiii science guy
neutral

I never really had any great interest in zoological science, and floating birds is something so fundamental, it's something I've never questioned. I used to ask questions about the matterial world, the stars and sun and what-not.  

WellzY
Crew

iamNOTanidiot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:14 am
WellzY
EmWah

Magnus - if you intend to, I expect something convincing.
Bouyancy is the term for the force that allows an object to float in another substance. It mainly used in reference to water and objects there in. Although, it is not as simple as just something floating in water. For the most part, the object has to be hollow a certain percent.

Ducks are a good example of this. They have hollow bones and feathers, but the location of the lungs has more to do with their level of bouyancy then the combination of the above two. Their lungs are located just where they rest on the water. So, in effect, ducks are really floating on their bouyant bags of air.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:21 am
Magnus Ignatius
Bouyancy is the term for the force that allows an object to float in another substance. It mainly used in reference to water and objects there in. Although, it is not as simple as just something floating in water. For the most part, the object has to be hollow a certain percent.

Ducks are a good example of this. They have hollow bones and feathers, but the location of the lungs has more to do with their level of bouyancy then the combination of the above two. Their lungs are located just where they rest on the water. So, in effect, ducks are really floating on their bouyant bags of air.

Thank you. That's what I meant EmWah. You can say something has buoyancy, but that still doesn't tell me how it floats.

Magnus - not snooty enough.  

WellzY
Crew

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:23 am
Ignored. gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:25 am
DNA_Guru
If I were to eat my pants, then perhaps the weight ratio to the latter of my body will increase. o_O

*considers the use of another gaging* rolleyes  

WellzY
Crew

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:27 am
WellzY
DNA_Guru

*considers the use of another gaging* rolleyes
Noez. I'm intelligent! gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:27 am
WellzY
Magnus Ignatius

Thank you. That's what I meant EmWah. You can say something has buoyancy, but that still doesn't tell me how it floats.

Magnus - not snooty enough.
To extend. As I have just made meantion of, in my last post, bouyancy requires air to be in the bouyant object. But this is not always the case. For bird, mammals and other creatures, this is true. But what about solid objects that float, my last post means that they will not float. And this is were the other part of bouyancy comes into play- density.

If you do not think that I am being learned enough, please say so and I will comtinue. Mind you, all of this information is just coming from the top of my head. I am not using the interent to aide my information.  

iamNOTanidiot

ethuil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:32 am
hola hola!  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 302 303 304 305 306 307 ... 664 665 666 667 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games