Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Picture Post! (New rule. Read the first post) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 303 304 305 306 307 308 ... 321 322 323 324 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

the_underworks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:46 pm
DAMN IT!

It has been 2 times I have taken cameras underground for pictures (which were REALLY good) and it has been 2 times I have broken cameras.

I actually had this picture taken of me with sticks of explosives in my belt.... made me look like an arab XD.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:55 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Me looking rather jovial. Pay no mind to silly hair, nose, etc.

smile  

osozaki girl

Fashionable Prophet

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:22 pm
Techno Mouse: But you have a good have a good happy face!
AND a rather awesome ampersand button.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:23 pm
the_underworks
DAMN IT!

It has been 2 times I have taken cameras underground for pictures (which were REALLY good) and it has been 2 times I have broken cameras.

I actually had this picture taken of me with sticks of explosives in my belt.... made me look like an arab XD.
Not nice... confused  

Henneth Annun
Captain

trampyre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:32 pm
XWraith_LordX
the_underworks
DAMN IT!

Not nice... confused

Ok, here I go, slightly OT, but I have to make a point and agree what Wraith just said, because it's important.

@the_underworks:

NO! Please listen for a moment, and try not to see this as a personal attack. Ok, I'm sure your intention was not to hurt anyone's feelings here. BUT. There are probably Arabic people in this guild who will be not be happy about what you just wrote. We are all here trying to find a little gothic oasis of understanding amidst a world which is full of misunderstanding and hate. In what follows, I will attempt to clear up what appears to be a minor, and unintentional, misunderstanding.

To clarify:

Not all Arabic people strap explosives to themselves. I've known many Arabic and Persian people who are at heart peaceful, kind, brilliant in various fields, and some of them yes, deeply spiritual. My doctor is Muslim. One of my friends in school was as well, and she was one of the smartest people I knew. She was religious, but never dogmatic. Another person I knew in school was a great violinist who had come from Iran to study here. I meet people all the time, who are from that region, but are in no way anything like what we see in the media.
The media often depicts Arabic, Persian, Middle Eastern (etc) people as dangerous religious fundamentalists. But not all of them are. Please don't group all Arabic peoples into one category. They are just as diverse and human as anyone else.

Not all Arabic people are Suicide Bombers.
Some are, but not all.
Not all Arabic people are followers of Islam.
There are different types of Islam, and not all of them are 'fundamentalist'.

Further reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_attack
http://www.religioustolerance.org/

Just to clear that up. I'm sure you didn't intend to offend anyone, but I have to speak my mind on these issues.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:40 am
Oh, thanks for clarifying that, Trampyre, I was so shy to talk about it myself, I am from the middle east, and I couldn't agree more about the wrong picture the media in the US and other countries gives about Arabs.  

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

trampyre

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:20 pm
Gothic Muffin of Doom
Oh, thanks for clarifying that, Trampyre, I was so shy to talk about it myself, I am from the middle east, and I couldn't agree more about the wrong picture the media in the US and other countries gives about Arabs.

Yeah. I don't think she meant to offend. The way I see it, it's the media and those people in positions of great wealth and political power who are responsible. Even here in Canada I see all kinds of sensationalist press about all sorts of issues. It's just a fact of life that the media paints a negative picture of the world, and it programs us into thinking a certain way about other people's Ethnicity, (Dis)ability, Socioeconomic status, Creed, Sexuality, and so on ... often without our even realising it.

BTW - I've been told I look Persian, French, Mediterranean somehow, Dutch, and I've been told by a few that I look 'Jewish' XD . I should post a newer picture of myself and you might see what I mean ... once I get my camera batteries recharged and have the energy to take a few shots...  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:26 pm
Gothic Muffin of Doom
That just makes me angry; I have friends who are from the Middle East and know a lot of people who are from there, and they're great people. It makes me sick how the world looks down on the majority of them because of the actions of a few people.

trampyre

BTW - I've been told I look Persian, French, Mediterranean somehow, Dutch, and I've been told by a few that I look 'Jewish' XD . I should post a newer picture of myself and you might see what I mean ... once I get my camera batteries recharged and have the energy to take a few shots...

Huh? How is that possible? I thought it was a religion....*brain explodes burning_eyes *  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:38 pm
XWraith_LordX

trampyre

Huh? How is that possible? I thought it was a religion....*brain explodes burning_eyes *
Its a religion and a nationality. Jewish = People from Jerusalem.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:45 pm
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX

trampyre

I'm still not clear on the "looking Jewish" thing.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:11 pm
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX

trampyre

Looking like they are from Jerusalem. Trust me, I can tell a Jewish person by looking at them, just like I can with Irish, Italian, Mexican/Spanish, African, Jamaican, American(hard by features but easy by movement/actions), French, etc. I spend a lot of time observing everything.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:15 am
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX

trampyre

Looking like they are from Jerusalem. Trust me, I can tell a Jewish person by looking at them, just like I can with Irish, Italian, Mexican/Spanish, African, Jamaican, American(hard by features but easy by movement/actions), French, etc. I spend a lot of time observing everything.
And what would that look like? Or is it one of those things you personally just "know". I never really ask people what religion they are, mostly because I really don't care, so I wouldn't know how to "tell" by anything.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:59 pm
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX

trampyre

And what would that look like? Or is it one of those things you personally just "know". I never really ask people what religion they are, mostly because I really don't care, so I wouldn't know how to "tell" by anything.
Were not talking religion, we are talking nationality.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:18 pm
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
I thought you were talking about Jewish people as a whole, but if you mean you can tell if someone looks Isreali or something, then yah, I get what you mean.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:08 am
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
I thought you were talking about Jewish people as a whole, but if you mean you can tell if someone looks Isreali or something, then yah, I get what you mean.
Thats pretty much what I was talking about.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 303 304 305 306 307 308 ... 321 322 323 324 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games