Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Galactic Travel and Information Help Desk (RP help) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 323 324 325 326 327 328 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Darth Hamatula

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:20 pm

i'm talking about my posts. do they work for this rp?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:32 pm

question

Darth Hamatula

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:15 pm

Beautiful.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Am I making Baal seem too intelligent with his telepathy?

ElladanKenet
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm wondering when a Rancor had coherent thought.

They're animals; semi-sentinent at best. The bond between rider and beast is more feeling than thought.

But I've pounded too much already on you, so I'll quit.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:45 pm

I actually wanted your opinion. I was trying to make Baal as a bit smarter than the average rancor, but I asn't sure how they'd communicate through the Force, so I just had him tap into her powers, and speak telepathically to her.

As a staple, if this is acceptable, this would be an advanced version of how other Rancors would communicate with their riders, albeit their's would be much more primal.

Baal would therefore be a descandant of Tosh

ElladanKenet
Crew

Kaze-Kage Daisuko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:00 pm

Yea, I can't wait until the battle.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:38 pm

ElladanKenet
I actually wanted your opinion. I was trying to make Baal as a bit smarter than the average rancor, but I asn't sure how they'd communicate through the Force, so I just had him tap into her powers, and speak telepathically to her.

As a staple, if this is acceptable, this would be an advanced version of how other Rancors would communicate with their riders, albeit their's would be much more primal.

Baal would therefore be a descandant of Tosh

Have you ever ridden a horse before?
If so, have you done so without using the reins?

To me, riding without guiding is what the riders do, not actual communciation, but trained patterns when a rider wants something to happen, the beast responds.

Its not "communication". Rancors are far too dumb to ever even "think" in a sense. The dathomiri control the rancors, not so much a partnership as a master/slave heirarchy.

A rancor can turn on its own master, should circumstances allow it to. Mostly if you can break the mental bond between the two, the rider is powerless against the fraught of its own beast.

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

ElladanKenet
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:00 pm

Wookieepedia
Though they were usually considered unintelligent beasts, the rancors of Dathomir at least were semi-sentient, caring creatures who mourned their family members when they died, and who passed on oral histories of the matriarchal herds into which these were organized. Their native way of life seems to have been very primitive, using their strength and size to hunt live prey across the planet's savannas—with the planet's Human population at one point becoming their primary prey species

Explain this.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:09 pm

Same happens in other semi-sentinent species.

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

ElladanKenet
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:26 pm

So then what's the problem? Baal's one of very few Rancors that are at least semi-sentient. He can speak telepathically with Kathleen, and has a very minor tap on her own powers, and that's it. Still just a rancor, and one of very few semi/mostly-sentient rancors not killed on Dathomir.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:33 pm

Semi-sentinent does not mean they are sentinent.

And how many times do I have to tell you that a rancor cannot use force powers, no matter how strong they are with their rider? It is impossible for the transfer to occur.

Dathomiri have mastered one section of the force which the rest of us would rather not ever talk about, and thats animal communication.

But semi-sentinence does not mean they can formulate sentinent thoughts or sentences. Telepathy indicates that the rancor has a base IQ of 70. Semi-sentinence, at the most, would be 40.

You want to consider what semi-sentinence is? Think of your rancor as a dog. Can your dog speak? no. Even when we teach them to "speak" its not a thought so much as it is a recognized pattern of events.

Psychology is a very fun course, and when you get the chance, take it. You'll understand this a lot better.

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:35 pm

Elephants are more akin to a Rancor's intelligence than a human.
Elephants have been proven to be rather smart for animals, capable of morning for their dead and even learning how to create art. There is also recent theories suggesting wild indian elephants are actively attacking Native villages in a primitive atempt at "War", seemingly trying to curb human occupation of their native territories.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:38 pm

Good example.

Better than mine...

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Nelowulf
Good example.

Better than mine...

Gotta know animals.
Dogs arent semisentinent. They're just really good at reading human emotions.
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 323 324 325 326 327 328 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games