Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
The Hangar Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 125 126 127 128 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:33 pm
Well, for one, its a freighter. The mass on it alone makes it less maneuverable than any fighter.

Its not how fast you go, but how tight you can turn that determines a good fighting vessel. And in the games, at least the Falcon''s turn radius is a bit more extravagant than most.

AS for how he flew through the second death star, my proof. Wedge beat him out, despite the Xwing being slower, not only because he had a head start, but because there''s a lot of ship less to maneuver.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:36 pm
this is true. but at least it has turrets.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:40 pm
Often, a slower vehicle will gain turrets to overcome the weakness of little maneuverability.

But notice how in the battle of endor, Lando used the forward blasters, and not the quad guns. That was all targeting computer right there.

I still like the cruiser class of ships. fast as a starfighter, more nimble than a modified freighter, and designed for the idea of combat occuring, and plenty of interior space that does not have to be converted to living quarters, since there's a good chance tyou're not hauling cargo.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:42 pm
....the Falcon has forward lasers?  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:45 pm
Watch ROTJ again. During the battle of endor, the quads aren't used.

I know that the proton torpedo launchers are in front, but i dont' think he used them druing the space battle.

It was always glowing up front. That's why I say that. I noticed it because I was wondering who was manning the turrets, but nobody was, as Lando was doing the shooting.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:48 pm
ok, I know the Falcon has a repeater near the boarding ramp, and the forward pincers hold the Concussion missles, as well as the fact that the falcon's turrets can be controlled from the cockpit. however, they're only capable of firing forward in that position.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:52 pm
I wouldn't think a setup like that could be controlled by the cockpit. I mean, the dangling turret seats would cause a problem in my mind, since they wouldn't be free floating like in ANH.

But I still remember that there isn't fire from the middle of the dish, only from the front end...

Oh well... I don't know what to say. Other than the fact that the Kapella is doing a hella good job for a courier.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:53 pm
hey, theres more to the falcon than meets the eye.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:56 pm
But it doesn't have High-Yeild explosive ordinances or a built in Jedi training facility, now does it?

Actually, if I could have only one thing on the Kapella it would probably be the shag carpet throughout the enitire ship, with Disco room with working disco ball and phonograph.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:59 pm
If I have one complaint with the Phoenix, its the fact that she's a starfighter. Not exactly a multi role vessel, and it does get cramped in their on long Hyperspace jumps.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:04 pm
But it works. I needed somthing larger due to padawan training and that the TSQ probably would help to have some fun.

But i sacrifice maneuverability (greatly) to add shielding that pwns a**. But my weapons targeting system works to overcome that weakness.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:09 pm
I usually get around it by hooking up with a convoy. but still it requires constant maintenance and rearmament.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Robin the Aussie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:54 am
Ok I have the Stars Wars cross-section book in front of me and the Falcon does use Concussion Missles, not Proton Torpedoes Lando even states that in ROTJ.
Also looking at the Falcon I don''t find any forward laser cannons of that sort, the quad laser cannons and the Concussion Missle Launcher at the front and the light laser cannon.
So I don''t know if they boosted the Falcon''s arnaments for the battle of Endor when Lando piloted her.

And another thing while on the note of Death Star battles, how come literally almost every X-Wing and Y-Wing that was hit in ANH by TIE fighter blasts got blow apart, I thought they all had deflector shields on them?
There were a few lucky escapers though obivously.
I have a few theories as to why this occured, I mean in the games and books it takes a fair bit to kill the shields of an X-Wing.
Theories:
1.TIEs had pumped up laser cannons(more powerful then standard)
2.X-Wings/Y-Wings diverting their power to the forward shields for the trench turbolaser cannons at the end of it, but it still doesn''t account for all cases, but it does explain some of them.

Anyone want to discuss this one?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:12 am
Ties have bitchin lasers. factor in that they were probably for the most part Ace pilots and also include the idea that the rebels focused their sields to the front and or shunted shield energy to guns or engines. that scenario is probably why rebels kept getting pasted.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:40 pm
not to mention, the video games, you're a pilot trying to take down the enemy. You adn your allies are automatically boosted for firepower and shielding.

Not to mention, an Xwing isn't impenatrable, and at teh BoE, there was a large ratio of enemy to rebel fighters, so often times, they were jsut catching hell from all sides.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 125 126 127 128 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games