Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Galactic Travel and Information Help Desk (RP help) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:57 am
Whoops.
Wasnt aware of that...
Hell, I used it to make Strider run faster in DR when I was being chased by the Krayt...
My bad. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:10 am
Its like saying Palpatine could pick a random stormtrooper, and using the force, allow that said stormtrooper to shoot lightning out of his hands.

The Force is a very personal object. If you are sensitive, you can tap into its effects. However, if you are unable to feel it, you are unable to use it. A rancor cannot use push, a kybuck cannot suddently double its speed, etc.

A jedi can run faster because its him using the force to aid himself. But he cannot simply "transfer power" from his skills to someone else.

This is not to be confused with the property of the force acting upon objects. Sure, you can heal someone else, control their mind, etc. But the force is very specific on which skills affect the surrounding area.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:07 am
Well I'll make sure to avoid repeating my mistake.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:44 am
Wait a minute... C'Botha did something akin to that in the Thrawn Trilogy, increasing crew efficiency across an entire fleet.  

stellarmagic

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:48 am
stellarmagic
Wait a minute... C'Botha did something akin to that in the Thrawn Trilogy, increasing crew efficiency across an entire fleet.

Yeah and Palps was doing it too at endor apparently.
Thats battle meditation.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:13 am
And this proves that Stellar, despite his prowess, disreguards what I just said, inventing his own version of it.

Battle meditation, Jedi Mind meld, Jedi mind tricks, etc. All of those are mental powers which can affect the workings of the mind. A mind trick simply creates a specific response in the brain of a target, allowing them to think something happened. its like hypnosis, and its forcible suggestion.

Battle meditation, in every instance i have read, improves coordination and efficiency of a fighting force, and lowers an enemies. It doesn't make any specific person faster or slower in reality; however, because everyone is internally "linked", they don't have the problem of individual instinct.

Everyone thinks the same, everyone knows what to do, when to do it. By minutely guiding the people, they are hypnotized into working together and create a specific effect which therefore "better".

But if you're under the power of battle meditation, you aren't any faster or any stronger. You simply act like one. Its like the borg. All are guided by a single concious impulse which directs them with impossible coordination because their actions are forcibly made at the same time.

Its also important to note that creatures such as hutts, which are not affected by the force's subliminal effects, could not recieve such benefits.

One post I had put for Ferno discussed the crew efficiency, how they could not be affected by Battle Meditation because of the genetic link to the hutts. That's why the few human crewmates are extremely strong willed, so they can keep up with the immortal crew.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:17 am
Let's make this a more physical example:

Take twenty people and give them a gun. Now, they'll shoot, but they won't hold any specific pattern. Some shoot faster, others slower.

Battle meditation is like putting an officer in to say "Open fire!" "Cease fire" "reload", etc. The effect is the guidance of the officer creates the guidance needed, because those fighting can focus on the actual fight, rather than thinking of their own spacial position.

However, suggesting that you can channel the force through something else, such as speed, strength, lightning, etc., is like expecting if you point a gun at someone, and shoot them, that the person whom you just shot can take that bullet and shoot it at someone else.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:18 pm
You're talking about crew coordination, not ship efficiency. I remember them talking about how quickly the crew did their assigned tasks. A 30% increase in ship efficiency seems to suggest that a high level force user can imbue some of his abilities through battle meditation.

Ask Jorg Car'Das, he gained some force abilities by being healed by Yoda. Apparently some level of transference is possible. A more extreme example would be how Luke took limited control of Jacen as a child to protect his own body in that one book...  

stellarmagic

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:49 pm
Again, you're mistaking affect versus effect.

You can manipulate the world around you. You cannot channel the force through someone else though. The only example which you can possibly use to debate me is the staff of ragnos, and one exception is as far as you'll get.

I don't see how you are not getting this.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:32 pm
I guess we need some hard evidence, Stellar. I know of the Staff of Ragnos, and as far as I know, that's the only thing in the universe that can give its wielder the force.

Of course, who knows where that is. Probably somewhere on Korriban or Dxun at this point.

But, meh. Maybe I should've made Baal force-sensitive. Would've made things easier.  

ElladanKenet
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:40 pm
Good luck.

I don't even know if animals can be force sensitive. Kinda reminds me of Final Fantasy: The spirits within though...  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:59 pm
If animals can't be force-sensitive, then that would make sentience a requirement.

Of course, explain vornskrs and ysalamiri. Vornskrs sense and hunt using the force. Ysalamiri are anti-force, downright eliminating its presence within a certain radius.

Though these are specific species, doesn't this mean the the Force could work with non-sentients as well as Sentients?  

ElladanKenet
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:01 pm
I thought that vornskyrs could detect the presence of the force, not actually use it?

As for the Ysalimari, that's simply explained by evolution.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:06 pm
But that detection also goes in hand with its intstincts. You put a Jedi up on display for vornskrs, and no matter how tame they are, they go feral.

Of course, that's still just saying they can detect it.

But is there anything saying animals can't use the Force?  

ElladanKenet
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:14 pm
Other than the fact that its never been seen...

Unless you count that kawakian monkey lizard from Jedi outcast...  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games