Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Extended Discussion
World Religion 101- historical facts and myths Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What Religion Do You Adhere To?
  Islam
  Judaism
  Christianity
  Hinduism
  Wicca
  Other (Pantheistic)
  Other (Monotheitisc)
  Buddhism
  Atheism
  Agnostic/Not Sure/None
View Results

Bellabie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:48 pm
Ka... My friend is reading a book named such...

Besides Jesus, what changed (in rules and so on) between the old an new testaments?
b  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:12 pm
Ummm... technically the old rules outlined in the book of Leviticus, and a bit of Deuteronomy may have gone by the wayside.

This is tricky ground, because Jesus represents a new covenant that Judaism doesn't recognize. This is why Christians can eat everything and Jews still have restricted diets. The covenants can only be made void by a new covenant. I wonder if anyone has researched it? Because the promise to never destroy the world by water was in the old covenant...

HOWEVER, some Christians would have it both ways; they can eat shellfish and have cheeseburgers, but homosexual relations are still forbidden.... I'm not sure why this duality would be, and would appreciate some insight.  

Lady Rayya

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:49 pm
Also, the new testament has parables, and I enjoy reading those a bit more than your classic sermon material.

Here's a question: Is it possible that a person could rally enough support to create a new religion?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:11 pm
People do it all the time.. Heaven's Gate, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons... Jesus...

not to mention His Great and Noodly Goodness, the FSM.... wink  

Lady Rayya

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:30 pm
Good... good... ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:55 pm
Oh!
The thread is moved. Lovely!
heart
Ramen, friend.
Do not forget Scientology! (I'm not sure if this qualifies, though, because although it is called The Church of Scientology, it seems that the followers who I am familiar with do not consider their practice to be a religious one...)

What does any one of you know about Taoism?
b  

Bellabie

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:02 pm
A little bit... I study dead reigions more than living ones...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:47 am
Anyone else? Taoism?

What sort of other practices do you study, sir?
b  

Bellabie

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:57 pm
Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Mesopotamian, Ancient Chinese, Ancient Japan, and the Ancient Meditteranean. I also know a little bit of the Mayas and Incas. I seek information of the Celts and the Atlanteans, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:09 am
Bellabie
dronze
it's also the diety of alt-rock, before it became all tainted by courtney love.

Heh, what a jest you are.
b

I was wondering when that would creep up
rofl  

carry on wayward daughter

Dapper Werewolf

Dapper Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:17 am
Mobius Nightshade
Also, the new testament has parables, and I enjoy reading those a bit more than your classic sermon material.

Here's a question: Is it possible that a person could rally enough support to create a new religion?

Why of course! Most religions start that way... and all CULTS start that way.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:22 am
Bellabie
Anyone else? Taoism?

Taoism is not really considered a religious practice to those who worship, similiar to Hinduism and Buddhism. Merely a way of life. It focuses on the special bond between human and nature.

From this, we get the oh so popular yin yang symbol.

oh and here's a wikipedia link if you're interested. tao  

Dapper Werewolf

Lady Rayya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:09 am
I've always been interested in the Celts. I especially was interested in how they converted to Christianity. The adaptation of their beliefs was frankly amazing. Plus that bit about snakes.....

There aren't any in Ireland. None. Except pets, I suppose, and zoos. But there are in England. I think this just proves God loves the Irish more... perhaps why He invented Guinness?

Also, the FSM isn't a real religion, but more like a parable in and of hisnoodles....

and the atlanteans... you have to prove they existed before they can have a religion....  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:05 am
Well, alot of people converted to Christianity back then because it was the only religion that promised life after death without conditions other than faith. ex. Dieing in battle, Living a good life, sacrificeing and so on.  

Captain Mikell Raine

Blind Hodd
Crew

Aekea Champion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:04 pm
excuse me? the bible says you must live a good life or repent your sins, and when you repent sins you are supposed to stop that particular sin. though it is reletively easy to aquire forgivness.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff