Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Wicca, not the same as Witchcraft? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:03 am
SophitiaMarieAlexander
Well Wicca is a faith but witchcraft is more like a way to get something done.

I could go with that.

Lets kick it up a notch.

Neo-Paganism type of reconstructionism of ancient polytheistic faiths. "Paganism" is an acceptable term for the practice of these reconstructionist/revivalist. Wicca is a specific magickal system created by a dude named Gardner. Witchcraft is creation and/or usage of all the archetypes, triggers, prose, role-playing, and props that go along with putting an individual's will out into the universe.

ouch. eek

I think that we put too much stress on the idea "I'm Wiccan" or "I'm Pagan".

Wicca, a magickal system created by Gerald Gardner (not limited to though), is technically considered witchcraft. Wicca is not the only thing considered Witchcraft. Voodoo is witchcraft. Shamanism is considered witchcraft. Santeria is considered witchcraft.

Is the label "Wiccan" really all that important for those that aren't BTW?

In BTW, they use the word Wiccan, but really, they think of themselves as priests and priestesses, clergy (for lack of a better term - but i got yelled at for using it before because it has roman-catholic roots, not 'pagan') even. They think of the rest of us milling about in the world as pagans, not Wiccans. (this is a generalization)

But really.... why so much focus on a word? on a label?

can't we just be ourselves?

wicca is just a type of witchcraft. *shrug* that's the short of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:38 pm
I've heard that witches don't call themselves witches anymore....They now call themselves wicca because of the evil associated with the word witch, Is this true?  

King Louis XVII

2,850 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Informer 100
  • Person of Interest 200

King Louis XVII

2,850 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Informer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:40 pm
Korealia
SophitiaMarieAlexander
Well Wicca is a faith but witchcraft is more like a way to get something done.

I could go with that.

Lets kick it up a notch.

Neo-Paganism type of reconstructionism of ancient polytheistic faiths. "Paganism" is an acceptable term for the practice of these reconstructionist/revivalist. Wicca is a specific magickal system created by a dude named Gardner. Witchcraft is creation and/or usage of all the archetypes, triggers, prose, role-playing, and props that go along with putting an individual's will out into the universe.

ouch. eek

I think that we put too much stress on the idea "I'm Wiccan" or "I'm Pagan".

Wicca, a magickal system created by Gerald Gardner (not limited to though), is technically considered witchcraft. Wicca is not the only thing considered Witchcraft. Voodoo is witchcraft. Shamanism is considered witchcraft. Santeria is considered witchcraft.

Is the label "Wiccan" really all that important for those that aren't BTW?

In BTW, they use the word Wiccan, but really, they think of themselves as priests and priestesses, clergy (for lack of a better term - but i got yelled at for using it before because it has roman-catholic roots, not 'pagan') even. They think of the rest of us milling about in the world as pagans, not Wiccans. (this is a generalization)

But really.... why so much focus on a word? on a label?

can't we just be ourselves?

wicca is just a type of witchcraft. *shrug* that's the short of it.

I completely agree.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:02 pm
I think in general there is a move to "take back" the word witch. There is nothing wrong with the word and/or calling yourself (or being called) one. The fact is...that is what we are, and if we continue to shy away from the word then we are only perpetuating the fear/hate.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Talyn178

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:51 pm
Well said,
All I can say is BE PROUD of what you are.
We're all entitled to our beliefs and now is the time to open up and be proud, we are becoming more and more recognised. Slowly (very slowly) but surely.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:18 am
i love too how they say that 'thou shalt not suffer a witch to live'.

witch is an old english word. the bible is ancient hebrew.

you do the math. twisted  

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

AiRune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:37 pm
King James had the Bible changed to suit his own ends.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:17 am
Korealia that is such a good point, I've never thought about that before.
lmao.  

Talyn178

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:17 am
too2sweet
I think in general there is a move to "take back" the word witch. There is nothing wrong with the word and/or calling yourself (or being called) one. The fact is...that is what we are, and if we continue to shy away from the word then we are only perpetuating the fear/hate.

Yeah, you'll have to accredit that to Starhawk, I believe, with that whole "Take Back the Night" campaign. Personally, I don't care either way. I'm a spiritual being that likes to use magick. *shrug* And now my daughter's becoming more and more interested in it. (which reminds me...i've got to start looking into an appropriate rite of passage for her...) For the sake of convience, we use 'wiccan' or 'witch', but frankly, I'd actually use the second before I'd use the first. I only use the first to be as PC as *I* can possibly be. twisted

Talyn178
Korealia that is such a good point, I've never thought about that before. lmao.

There is a lot of meaning for that specific hebrew word, but 'witch' isn't one of them. It loosely means deceitful and a curse-giver, but I can think of a LOT of people who fall under those categories who aren't 'witches'. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:08 am
Basically, a wiccan is a pagan witch and witchcraft is the magic that he/she may practice and/or use...

witch+pagan=wiccan
See the resemblance?  

Faerth

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:50 am
ummm...

to the first part I'll say sort of, to the second part I'm going to say not really (though I see where you were going with it - others may not though)...

Wicca is a specific pagan religion that is based on the use of witchcraft and bits and pieces of other things (like ceremonial magic, older religions, etc...) All Wiccans are technically Witches (even if they choose not to do spell work), but not all Witches are Wiccan. Both Wiccans and Witches (generally speaking) are all Pagan, but not all Pagans are Witches or Wiccan.

You can be pagan and you can be a witch and still not be Wiccan. There are certain core beliefs that technically must be present for it to be Wicca (at least traditionally). Neo-Wicca (eclectic) is somewhat different.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:27 pm
BearPrincess96
Basically, a wiccan is a pagan witch and witchcraft is the magic that he/she may practice and/or use...

witch+pagan=wiccan
See the resemblance?

Mmm...not quite.

A Wiccan is a Pagan, yes, as well as a witch, even though some Wiccans do not practice a great deal of witchcraft.

Witchcraft is its own seperate, free-standing practice that can be taken up by anyone regardless of religious persuasion.

Wicca is a specific religion under the umbrella of Paganisn.

You can be a witch, but not be Pagan. You can be Pagan and not be a witch (this is where I'm at). You can be a witch and not be a Wiccan.

To address what someone said earlier, to say that Wicca is simply a type of magic is similar to saying that Christianity is only prayer. Not only is it incredibly and horribly over simplified, it's wrong. Just because Wicca employs a great deal of witchcraft, does not mean that the two are synonymous.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:03 am
BearPrincess96

witch+pagan=wiccan
See the resemblance?

No... Because I'm a witch and a Pagan. But I'm definitely not a Wiccan. Many Pagans who are witches are not Wiccan.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:50 pm
Sorry, I guess I'm not really good at describing things sweatdrop
My apologies if I hurt anyone's feelings...

Blessed Be ~
BearPrincess96  

Faerth

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:30 am
No need to apologize...your comment gave us all a good jumping off point for adding in more accurate info. So tis good!!! biggrin  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games