Guild artists: a dying breed? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rainey_angel81

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:44 pm
Idle-Hatter
I've tried offering in as many request threads when my shops open, but my shop fills up pretty quick. Then again I'm not that great of an artist so I'm sure that has some effect lol

You can add me to the list if you want, I love doing furry arts o-o
See, I does teh arts

I think your art is great and thanks again  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:34 pm
Im an artist. :<  

Yasano

Lunatic

13,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Contributor 150

Dizy_lizy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:06 pm
I am an artist and do commissions, my shop is in this forum. I will do commissions for gold and charge fairly cheap prices, the downsides to my art is that I am super busy so it may take time to get and I am not as accomplished as other people in this guild.

http://dizylizy.deviantart.com/  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:11 pm
Rainey_angel81
Idle-Hatter
I've tried offering in as many request threads when my shops open, but my shop fills up pretty quick. Then again I'm not that great of an artist so I'm sure that has some effect lol

You can add me to the list if you want, I love doing furry arts o-o
See, I does teh arts

I think your art is great and thanks again

wow, I wish I would have seen this sooner, I feel bad now, but thanks again for liking the art x3  

The Hollow-cost

FogSage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:58 pm
A pattern I see with guild artists:

They post prices, most between 1 and 10k in gold, and people flock to them. They get ten people at once asking for commissions. They sketch, maybe color the pictures for the first ten, and everyone after that is S.O.L.

Artists are a one-time resource.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:57 am
FogSage

They post prices, most between 1 and 10k in gold, and people flock to them. They get ten people at once asking for commissions. They sketch, maybe color the pictures for the first ten, and everyone after that is S.O.L.

Sometimes things that are more importment than Gaia come up in life. Some of us can't afford to give our art away anymore. Especially, when it does become your only source income. I'm not going to start on the whole gold is just as importment as real money rant, but it happens.

Also, this post is rather hostile. Your attitude isn't going to make people want to deal with you. So please be nice.  

Kakarotto-san

Dangerous Duck

FogSage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:35 pm
Kakarotto-san
FogSage

Sometimes things that are more importment than Gaia come up in life. Some of us can't afford to give our art away anymore. Especially, when it does become your only source income. I'm not going to start on the whole gold is just as importment as real money rant, but it happens.

Also, this post is rather hostile. Your attitude isn't going to make people want to deal with you. So please be nice.

Gaia gold = low priority. Low priority = snowball's chance in hell of getting done.

Paying real money just ups your chances of getting a finished product. Let's face it; how many times have you posted your requirements for art here on the guild and actually got a finished piece instead of a "I'm sorry, it's being sketched, I'll get around to it soon, I promise!" or some such thing?

Artists on the guild, if you really want to do art, then be smart about it. Take only one or two people at a time, take your time (without straining politeness), and try to do it. If you feel like you're getting screwed by being paid in Gaia Gold, don't put up advertisements for your art. We have FA for that.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:51 pm
FogSage
Kakarotto-san
FogSage

Gaia gold = low priority. Low priority = snowball's chance in hell of getting done.

Paying real money just ups your chances of getting a finished product. Let's face it; how many times have you posted your requirements for art here on the guild and actually got a finished piece instead of a "I'm sorry, it's being sketched, I'll get around to it soon, I promise!" or some such thing?

Artists on the guild, if you really want to do art, then be smart about it. Take only one or two people at a time, take your time (without straining politeness), and try to do it. If you feel like you're getting screwed by being paid in Gaia Gold, don't put up advertisements for your art. We have FA for that.

You really are putting off a bitter tone. I've ordered art before that I still haven't heard a word about from nearly 8 or 9 months ago. But I'm not really put off by it because I understand how it goes. I have a shop outside of this guild that takes up a lot of time. and a real life outside of that that takes up time aswell.

I can't deny that sometimes I've had to post-pone some of my work for people in the guild, but I can't recall a single time that I've ever not done an art at all. I may be a unique case, because I'm a bit of a gift art whore but I actually enjoy doing art for others, its not always about the gold, sometimes it truly does just get pushed back by the stress of the real world.
You can't throw anything onto FA. FA is a great site, but its lacking in the area of being a real community so finding artists and getting to know people is harder than it seems, no offense to the site, seeing as how I've recently signed up to it.  

The Hollow-cost

Tartii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:37 pm
I'm still alive! -waves frantically-

I just don't do a whole freakin lot of art. Mainly because everybody on here is anthro and I'm more original. See?

tartii.sheezyart.com  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:24 pm
Well, people usually start with low prices because of low expectations--I did anyway. People think "There's lots of artists here, but I don't have a name for myself...I'll put the price at 10k and see if anyone comes." Then, the guild members see art that they've never commissioned, and they flock. The artist is then overwhelmed, and thinks "man, my prices are going way up after this!"
Not a universal law, just an observation.  

Zella L.

Art / Writing show and exchange!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces