Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Your Wiccan/Pagan Path...and How Did You Know? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Share:
  yes!!!
  no :-(
View Results

krav majo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 am
I had been for years on/off atheist/agnostic and wasn't sure where to turn. Last year someone close to me revealed that she was of the Craft and unlike others she told I was most intrigued. She told me about the ways and lent me Scott Cunningham's book which I read and it all made sense and seemed right. I gave things a go and it all felt right and the more I did thinks and learnt the more it felt like I was embracing an old friend.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:40 am
User Image
I never felt at one with Christianity. I was raised Catholic. I was never baptized as a baby (my mom is Catholic, my father is a Southern Baptist, and they couldn't agree).
My best friend from age five was a die-hard Catholic, and her mom was one of the Sunday school teachers. The only reason I ever enjoyed church was because it was just like playing with my best friend. I always goofed off in Sunday school and never really paid attention. When I was a child I thought that the Bible was just full of silly stories to teach us a lesson, which I still believe today.
At age five or six, I was baptized. My mom had to stand behind the priest and tell me whether to say yes or no to the questions he asked. I didn't even realize what I was answering, but I do know that it meant that I was not bound to the Catholic faith. However, still, to this day, I wish to be un-baptized, if it's possible. My best friend was so excited for me, that my eternal soul was now saved. We went out to eat afterwards and had a tiny party with my mom, my grandparents, my aunt, and my best friend's family. I didn't understand what the big deal was.
By age ten, I was fed up with Christianity. But I kept my mouth shut and dealt with Sunday school and the monotonous mass that I had to bear. Eventually, at age twelve, I declared myself an atheist to my mom and grandparents; if I didn't believe in Christianity, then I didn't believe in anything, did I? So I thought.
I had always known that there was a God. But there was something else, too. I was tired of the 'women are lesser' card and all of the 'Christianity is the ONLY way' bull.
So I began to research. On the internet, I took a quiz about religion. My first result was Neo-Pagan. Of course, in Christian thought, pagan means Satan-worshipper. I looked into it anyway, and fell in love with Wicca. To this day, I still explore my path, as I am not one for coven activity. I call myself an Eclectic Wiccan, but I still search for a better name.

Credit

KillerQueen Bash

5,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200

eartha oak

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:07 am
when I was a little girl and all the little girls were wanting to be princesses I wanted to be a witch! I had the hat,the broom,the cauldron,everything! I always had an interest with magick even into my teens I had a love for it and now I have chosen to be a kitchen witch,kitchen witchery was what seemed to "fit" me and my personality.My whole life I could never agree on christianity let alone understand it.[/i]  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:16 pm
I'm still not sure. First I studied Wicca, now I'm studying Kemet, I'm still looking.  

Beautiful Propaganda

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Hygienic 200

Furrie Princess Nala

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:55 am
its hard for me to say when i knew because i think i always knew just never could say it because of my family they are not to keen on the idea of a witch or wiccan (Thats there words not mine) so till i moved out at 18 i had to keep how i realy felt hidden so in some aspects i didnt fully know till i was 18 when i started to realy learn about it though i did feel like i knew most of what i read afterwords. to be blunt its like my heart always knew but my mind said no out of fear.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:44 pm
I wasn't forced any religion as a child, but chose to go to church with my aunt. Simply because I thought it was fun. I never believed, but I had always hoped I would.
My dad is athiest (but conceals himself as Christian), but my mom was more of a free soul. She told me to go for what felt right to me. She herself studies Tarot,Numerology,Astrology, And what is commonly called "white magic" (Please, don't lecture me on whatever. I've already heard, thanks).
I started asking her more and more about what she believed, and she doesn't have quite a religion so to speak, but she taught me a little about her areas of practice. I started looking into tarot one day over the internet and found an article about it by a wiccan (On none other then the great witchvox) and I took the title wiccan and plugged it into google.
I was only about 10 at the time. From then on I studied it occasionally.
Once I was about 12 I started to question things, and I studied the religion much more, I have to say the book that helped me the most was "Wicca For beginners" by Thea Sabin (Bless her, it's really a great book).
Once I started looking into the religion seriously, it just clicked. Like I found my right path, I was "home" as many call it. After a year of this frequent studying I knew it was right, and scince I found it everything seems more right.
I am an eclectic wiccan, no doubt thanks to my mom's resource of pulling things from everywhere. I am 14 now, so 4 years of interest, 2 of quality studying. Naturally, my mother knows of my religion. My dad doesn't. not because I think he'll hate it -- We just don't share alot, and I find it a secret.

I know a couple other wiccans, young and old. My girlfriend is still at a studying stage, and I'm helping her as much as possible.(I was shocked when she mentioned she was studying wicca one day). I have another friend who claims the religion, and though she grasps the basic understanding, she could use quite a bit of time.
I've met and talked to some wiccans at random places. A fine couple, around late 20's, early 30's were happy to answer some questions I had when I ran into them at a bookstore in the religion section. I believe they were getting a few books on philosophy, aswell as "The Wiccan Bible" (or something -- i forget)

Honestly, I've yet to perform a -- a anything, for that matter. No spells or practices. I hate being solitary, so I keep in contact with every wiccan I manage to meet in my small city. Luckily, i'm going to a highschool of the arts next year, where freedom is celebrated quite a bit, no doubt I'll meet some helpful companions.  

SADERR

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:16 pm
Jonathonn

I started asking her more and more about what she believed, and she doesn't have quite a religion so to speak, but she taught me a little about her areas of practice. I started looking into tarot one day over the internet and found an article about it by a wiccan (On none other then the great witchvox) and I took the title wiccan and plugged it into google.
I was only about 10 at the time. From then on I studied it occasionally.
Once I was about 12 I started to question things, and I studied the religion much more, I have to say the book that helped me the most was "Wicca For beginners" by Thea Sabin (Bless her, it's really a great book).
Once I started looking into the religion seriously, it just clicked. Like I found my right path, I was "home" as many call it. After a year of this frequent studying I knew it was right, and scince I found it everything seems more right.
I am an eclectic wiccan, no doubt thanks to my mom's resource of pulling things from everywhere. I am 14 now, so 4 years of interest, 2 of quality studying. Naturally, my mother knows of my religion. My dad doesn't. not because I think he'll hate it -- We just don't share alot, and I find it a secret.

I know a couple other wiccans, young and old. My girlfriend is still at a studying stage, and I'm helping her as much as possible.(I was shocked when she mentioned she was studying wicca one day). I have another friend who claims the religion, and though she grasps the basic understanding, she could use quite a bit of time.
I've met and talked to some wiccans at random places. A fine couple, around late 20's, early 30's were happy to answer some questions I had when I ran into them at a bookstore in the religion section. I believe they were getting a few books on philosophy, aswell as "The Wiccan Bible" (or something -- i forget)

Unfortunetely, you can't just 'take' the title of Wiccan. It's earned by being properly initiated into a lineaged coven. Because Wicca is an orthopraxic, oathbound faith, it's really not as simple as wanting it and reading some books from the store. Wicca is about practice, and not belief - and the practices are oathbound, and not taught to those who are not properly prepared and initiated.

Those who are not yet initiated but whom are seeking initiation are called Seekers. Seekers learn many things, but none of it is oathbound. Rather, it's basic pagan information that lays in a groundwork for learning after initiation. You must be initiated before you see one iota of information that is actually, factually Wicca. What's published in books available to the masses is not Wicca - it's mislabelled neo-pagan witchcraft.

At 14, you have lots of time before you may actually meet a coven and properly become Wiccan. Wicca doesn't initiate minors, so you'll need to be at least 18 before you can properly become a Seeker.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:29 pm
Thats a tricky subject, in my family its hereditary in our family. I grew up watching my mother, father, aunts, uncles, older cousins, and grandparents alike practice. I listened to the songs my mother taught me and learned about wicca but not until about two years ago did I know this was my path. My family never forced me to believe just to learn and be open minded to the idea of it. When I was sixteen I watched my parents perform and family perform a saining on my baby cousin ( also known a wiccaning I believe ) and right then and there I knew this is where my path was. I am not sure how to explain how I knew, it just felt like a warm sensation running through my body and I felt kinda " at home" as odd as that sounds.
I didn't officially join the wiccan community until I was eighteen this may though.

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:34 pm
iHecate
Thats a tricky subject, in my family its hereditary in our family. I grew up watching my mother, father, aunts, uncles, older cousins, and grandparents alike practice. I listened to the songs my mother taught me and learned about wicca but not until about two years ago did I know this was my path. My family never forced me to believe just to learn and be open minded to the idea of it. When I was sixteen I watched my parents perform and family perform a saining on my baby cousin ( also known a wiccaning I believe ) and right then and there I knew this is where my path was. I am not sure how to explain how I knew, it just felt like a warm sensation running through my body and I felt kinda " at home" as odd as that sounds.
I didn't officially join the wiccan community until I was eighteen this may though.

....you still haven't properly joined the Wiccan community. You are not an initiate of any valid lineage. Wicca is not taught to minors. Wicca is not hereditary. Wicca is not about belief.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:44 pm
It sounds more like a family tradition of witchcraft, really. Not Wicca.
Family traditions are pretty interesting though! How many generations of your family have practiced?

It's a common mix up in figuring Wicca = Witchcraft. They're not the same, as Wicca is a faith and witchcraft is a practice; a craft that can be learned by anyone willing to put forth the time and effort.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:56 pm
Morgandria
iHecate

....you still haven't properly joined the Wiccan community. You are not an initiate of any valid lineage. Wicca is not taught to minors. Wicca is not hereditary. Wicca is not about belief.

I know I am not official yet part of the community but I have started to learn I am sorry if my wording is wrong.
I say hereditary because its in my family, I thought hereditary means passed down, is it the wrong context? I am sorry if it is.
o.o''
I didn't mean to upset you..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:58 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Family traditions are pretty interesting though! How many generations of your family have practiced?

It's a common mix up in figuring Wicca = Witchcraft. They're not the same, as Wicca is a faith and witchcraft is a practice; a craft that can be learned by anyone willing to put forth the time and effort.

Thank you, I learned something new.
Its been in my family for about thirty years now or so I am told it has been.

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:15 pm
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff

The problem with that is that Wicca involves sexual activity in its' proper practice. And if that proper practice were done with minors...it's illegal, both by the Laws of the Craft, and the laws of the land.

Do you see why I am put off by your statement? With my own understanding of Wicca, you're saying to me that you are not a member of a proper lineaged tradition (because a lineaged Wiccan would not involve minors in their practice), and that it's possible your parents exposed you to inappropriate sexual activity and/or incest.

Also pointing to me that perhaps Wicca is not an accurate label for your practices is the fact that you believe that Dianic Wicca is a tradition. The Dianics, as I said before, are not Wiccans and have not claimed such for many years. Their practices are more goddess-worship than anything, and Wicca being a ditheistic faith requires the polarity of a male deity to accompany the female. Z. Budapest herself has decried any desire or need for polarity on the Dianic path...so they have excluded themselves from Wicca in that way.

As Vi said: Lots of people are very misinformed as to what Wicca is, and apply the word to things it does not accurately describe.

But if it's not Wicca, then I really don't have an issue with it....family practices of pagan witchcraft can vary greatly.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:17 pm
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff

biggrin It's always fun to learn new things.
IIRC (and someone can correct me if I am incorrect), "Wicca" was the label used on anything that was remotely related to witchcraft. Ergo, family traditions of witchcraft were labeled "Wicca" incorrectly, eclectic neo-pagan witchcraft paths were incorrectly labeld as "Wicca" as well.

Are you going to pass it on to your children? What kind of criteria does your family use in deciding who to teach the craft to? Or do they teach it to everyone in your family?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:39 pm
Morgandria
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff

The problem with that is that Wicca involves sexual activity in its' proper practice. And if that proper practice were done with minors...it's illegal, both by the Laws of the Craft, and the laws of the land.

Do you see why I am put off by your statement? With my own understanding of Wicca, you're saying to me that you are not a member of a proper lineaged tradition (because a lineaged Wiccan would not involve minors in their practice), and that it's possible your parents exposed you to inappropriate sexual activity and/or incest.

Also pointing to me that perhaps Wicca is not an accurate label for your practices is the fact that you believe that Dianic Wicca is a tradition. The Dianics, as I said before, are not Wiccans and have not claimed such for many years. Their practices are more goddess-worship than anything, and Wicca being a ditheistic faith requires the polarity of a male deity to accompany the female. Z. Budapest herself has decried any desire or need for polarity on the Dianic path...so they have excluded themselves from Wicca in that way.

As Vi said: Lots of people are very misinformed as to what Wicca is, and apply the word to things it does not accurately describe.

But if it's not Wicca, then I really don't have an issue with it....family practices of pagan witchcraft can vary greatly.

I didn't mean to put you off. And no I never saw anything like that, the only time I've seen anything was the welcoming of my baby cousin.
And I always thought dianics still practiced wicca but with females only, I still know their is a god.
I am sorry if I have offended you in anyway. I didn't mean to though.
But I am not sure, I say wicca because thats what it seems to relate to the most.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games