Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Clickables and Creatures
Dragon Cave updates (New poll & post, 11-18-2008) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DragonCave Shop now open. Are you going to buy something? (see post on page 5)
  I betcha! Gots to get me an EggSpam hoodie! :D
  Nah. Don't think so.
  Yes! No? Maybe...
View Results

Willa-Wisp

Romantic Reveler

8,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:54 am
The Cave is indeed down. This is from the Dragon Cave Forum. It's a post from TJ titled "State of the Cave Address" about this downtime...

Quote:
Posted: Aug 18 2008, 12:27 AM

Bandwidth
The current hosting plan does not have enough bandwidth to last out the month (and no, the current downtime was not caused by running out). If the site keeps using bandwidth at this rate, I'll have to pay twice as much in overages as I pay for the hosting plan itself.

Servers
Obviously, if the site is running out of bandwidth, I'm going to need to do something. I looked into adding a second VPS, but all of the data that would go between the two servers to keep themselves synchronized would use up a ton of bandwidth on its own. In addition, the current host is proving to be less reliable than I'd like, with the seemingly frequent outages and rather slow response times whenever I contact them. So, I plan to move the site to a dedicated server hosted by a different company. This should solve the bandwidth issue, as well as give the server many more resources to work with, improving site performance.

Unreleased Features
Egg freezing has been ready since the update, but I haven't enabled it. Incubators are basically ready, I'm just finalizing the interface. I've been holding off on releasing both features (as well as releasing any new dragons) until the server situation is solved.

The Current Downtime
The server appears to be completely down, for reasons unknown, and the control panel that my host provides that would allow me to reboot the server is down as well. I contacted my host hours ago and have received no response. They apparently feel that responding to their clients in a timely fashion isn't all that important.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:56 am
Willa-Wisp
The Cave is indeed down. This is from the Dragon Cave Forum. It's a post from TJ titled "State of the Cave Address" about this downtime...

Quote:

Bandwidth
The current hosting plan does not have enough bandwidth to last out the month (and no, the current downtime was not caused by running out). If the site keeps using bandwidth at this rate, I'll have to pay twice as much in overages as I pay for the hosting plan itself.

Servers
Obviously, if the site is running out of bandwidth, I'm going to need to do something. I looked into adding a second VPS, but all of the data that would go between the two servers to keep themselves synchronized would use up a ton of bandwidth on its own. In addition, the current host is proving to be less reliable than I'd like, with the seemingly frequent outages and rather slow response times whenever I contact them. So, I plan to move the site to a dedicated server hosted by a different company. This should solve the bandwidth issue, as well as give the server many more resources to work with, improving site performance.

Unreleased Features
Egg freezing has been ready since the update, but I haven't enabled it. Incubators are basically ready, I'm just finalizing the interface. I've been holding off on releasing both features (as well as releasing any new dragons) until the server situation is solved.

The Current Downtime
The server appears to be completely down, for reasons unknown, and the control panel that my host provides that would allow me to reboot the server is down as well. I contacted my host hours ago and have received no response. They apparently feel that responding to their clients in a timely fashion isn't all that important.

*steals all information and takes to the worried people I have been talking to in the Dragcave guild*  

Ddraig Asheart
Captain

Dapper Raider

7,450 Points
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Tipsy 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Willa-Wisp

Romantic Reveler

8,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:00 am
So, what does this mean for your eggs and babies? If TJ follows his past protocol with downtimes, you won't lose any time on your dragons, regardless what stage they were prior to the downtime. He's credited time onto everyone's dragons so no one loses their eggs or babies. I have faith TJ with continue to do the right thing. He tries so hard to keep everyone happy. 3nodding

BTW, did anyone else catch that comment in parenthesis in the "Unreleased Features"? mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:00 am
Ddraig Asheart
Willa-Wisp

Quote:

Bandwidth

Servers

Unreleased Features

The Current Downtime

*steals all information and takes to the worried people I have been talking to in the Dragcave guild*

Hope it helps! biggrin  

Willa-Wisp

Romantic Reveler

8,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100

KaySabaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:13 am
Thanks for posting all this smile
I hope TJ gets this all cleared up soon... Good luck to him ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:55 am
For those you finding the Cave down again, Beady posted this on the Incubator thread just a little while ago...

Ddraig Asheart
In case you were wondering...
TJ
Site down while we transfer to a brand new server! Soon, you'll be viewing this page from the new server. You just have to wait for DNS to not be slow. (Don't worry, your eggs and hatchlings will be credited for the time lost)

Might as well capitalize on the INSANE numbers of people refreshing this page...

Thanks for the info, Beady! cool  

Willa-Wisp

Romantic Reveler

8,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100

CORNFLICKER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:01 am
I caught "Unreleased Features" and "New Dragons" in there... ME WANT NEW DRAGONS!!!!!!! *eye twitch*

NEW INFO!!!!!
TJ
Congratulations, you're viewing the site on the new server! (Don't worry, your eggs and hatchlings will be credited for the time lost)

Current Status:

* Backing up data from old server
* Transferring backup to new server

Might as well capitalize on the INSANE numbers of people refreshing this page...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:43 pm
On new dragon sprites.
Arcanasylvana
"Alternates: No longer will it be guaranteed that the eggs will follow linear growth patterns. Soon it will be possible for eggs to develop into different dragons for any number of reasons. Random chance, time of day, even based on which other dragons you have, the possibilities for concept creators are about to open up. It also adds a new element for collectors, who will now be challenged to collect all of the new possibilities."

From the Prepare for Updates section in the Dragon Cave Forum

Ddraig Asheart
Captain

Dapper Raider

7,450 Points
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Tipsy 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Ddraig Asheart
Captain

Dapper Raider

7,450 Points
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Tipsy 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:52 pm
for reference:
Look at the Progress List.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:15 am
I have only 5 eggs and the site isn't letting me get anymore... what gives?!?! gonk  

Minime-sama

Friendly Conversationalist

11,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500

Storm-Skyflyer
Crew

5,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:11 pm
Minime-sama
I have only 5 eggs and the site isn't letting me get anymore... what gives?!?! gonk
lucky you I can only have 4 eggs or imature hatchlings at any given time...  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:31 pm
Storm-Skyflyer
Minime-sama
lucky you I can only have 4 eggs or imature hatchlings at any given time...

5 is your absolute limit. 4 you cannot take any more from the Cave entrance but you can breed.  

Ddraig Asheart
Captain

Dapper Raider

7,450 Points
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Tipsy 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Willa-Wisp

Romantic Reveler

8,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:32 am
Happy Halloween, everyone!

The Cave is releasing
Zombie eggs!

twisted

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:25 pm
The plot thickens about the Halloween eggs!

Here's a post from Beady in the Incubator thread...

Ddraig Asheart
*preens proudly* I was right I believe. TJ's new little horrors on his scroll.
]http://dragcaveforum.technoized.com/index.php?showtopic=24971

And for those of you who aren't members of the Dragon Cave, here are the images of interest...

and for those of us who are too darned curious and have too much time on their hands ... ninja who? me? ninja ..., I've included the translations under the egg images...

User Image

User Image

User Image

Willa-Wisp

Romantic Reveler

8,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100

Willa-Wisp

Romantic Reveler

8,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:15 am
Sorry that this is a little late here (have seen it posted on other guilds and forums) but Frankie the comp has not been cooperating and the Cave's Forums went down for a while yesterday.

Anyway, for those who aren't registered with the Cave, here's the latest (albeit 2 days old) cryptic message...

User Image

POSTER: Cave Explorers
TITLE: Area Unlocked!
MESSAGE: Deep in the forest, a small cave containing a group of wild dragons has been discovered. The explorer who found it has since lost track of the cave's location, but perhaps with your help it can be found again.

There are no other posts in the thread. For those in the guild who frequent the Cave's Forums, what's the speculation on this? Is this an "explanation" for the huge abandons lately or is TJ possibly up to something? 4laugh  
Clickables and Creatures

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff