Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Surreal Sanctuary*~

Back to Guilds

This guild is a safe haven for the literate of Gaia. It is a hang-out where otakus, writers, readers, artists, and musicians can have fun. 

Tags: anime, roleplay, writer, books, gold 

Reply •◘•The Readers' Haven•◘•
What are you reading right NOW? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Furyal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:34 pm
I might try and find that book. How young is the boy? And what Age group is it for?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:18 pm

The boy is like twelve or so, but it doesn't really matter because he doesn't really act it. [There's also a couple thirteen years olds and a fourteen year old]
Eh, I dunno about the age group. I mean, I found it in the childrens section [actually, that's where I find 90% of my good books] but I don't really think of myself as a child anymore.
hmmm, I think it's clever. If you've ever read Fablehaven, or Leven Thumps [both amazingly good series] You'll like it forshore.

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:32 am
I know what you mean, Irish-chan! XD;; I read a lot of 'children's books' but I don't think I'm a child anymore... More like a teenager. xD Or a young lady? razz  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:25 pm
Me too. But when I was a preteen, I found half my favorite books in the teen section. XD  

Furyal

Virgil Lifeson
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:47 pm
I was reading my dad's "Older Teen/Adult" fantasy novels (Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, etc.) when I was, like 13. War of the Spider Queen was my fav series in grade seven and eight. Still is one of today.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:55 pm
I started read novels as thick as my head (Not really, but they were still pretty big. At least Artemis Fowl book big.) at the age of eight. XD  

Furyal

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:20 am
I didn't judge from the thickness and thinness of books. I would read some that were longer than some others.

But...I read the Phantom of the Opera in 5th Grade. And The Mill on the Floss in 6th Grade. And apparently, those were both 'adult' books. XD;; I did The Mill on the Floss during the summer, and wrote a book report on it for school. And teachers were pretty shocked... XD George Eliot is a wonderful author though. ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:26 pm
In my earlier grades, when we had reading groups, I asked for my own.
The teacher says: What do you want to read?
Ahhhhhhnd......
I lift up a book for later teens. XD  

Furyal

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:35 pm

pshh, did you guys ever have AR? [I HATED that]

well I would read a ton and then fail my class because i didn't have enough points, and my teacher would be like, 'what's the problem, I see you with a different book everyday,'
I don't read for school. If I read for school I almost automatically hate the book, and understand why kids don't like to read. [Except And Then There Were None, that's the exception]

anyway, so the next quarter, I read 20,000 Leagues under the sea [which was good aside from all the FISH] and got my point goal for the whole rest of the year. with one book, in sixth grade, so I wouldn't have to take any more stupid book tests.

Okay, I don't really know the point of telling you all that, but whatever(:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:52 am
I tend to like every book I read just for reading it. XD I would prefer reading anything in Language Arts class unless it's some weird chick flick. XD

But the only book I hated reading for school was Harry Potter. Ugh...  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Virgil Lifeson
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:59 pm
Irishroseh

pshh, did you guys ever have AR? [I HATED that]

well I would read a ton and then fail my class because i didn't have enough points, and my teacher would be like, 'what's the problem, I see you with a different book everyday,'
I don't read for school. If I read for school I almost automatically hate the book, and understand why kids don't like to read. [Except And Then There Were None, that's the exception]

anyway, so the next quarter, I read 20,000 Leagues under the sea [which was good aside from all the FISH] and got my point goal for the whole rest of the year. with one book, in sixth grade, so I wouldn't have to take any more stupid book tests.

Okay, I don't really know the point of telling you all that, but whatever(:

AR?

OMG I REMEMBER THAT D=

Though, I was in the top ten of my grade in terms of AR points. We had a "store" every so often that you could buy stuff from using your AR points. Having over 300 got you a crapload of stuff =D  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:00 am
What's AR...? xD;;  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Virgil Lifeson
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:51 am
AR = Accelerated Reader. Basically bribing kids to read by giving them a goal to work for. You read a book, take a quiz based on the book, and get a number of points based on how complicated/long the book was. Some english classes had a minimum AR Point level to pass. I remember that for one teach 50 was a "D" (Bare minimum pass), 60 was a "C", 75 was a "B" and 100+ was an "A"  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:20 pm

ugh, I freaking hated it.

aaand we had no prizes to get bribed with!

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:18 am
Hm...Our school doesn't have AR, but we have something similar. XD It isn't called AR though. At least yours has a cool name. razz Ours is just "the Student Reading Program."  
•◘•The Readers' Haven•◘•

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff