Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Multimedia
Nightmare Before Christmas,,,,Goth or just cool? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NBC goth?
  Yes
  No
  Depends
View Results

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:41 am
Black-Shrapnel
I know it would be crappy.... but I want there to be a sequel(sp?)! XD That'd be too good XP

i had a dream like that once  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:33 am
I might be alone here but I prefer Corpse Bride over Nightmare Before Christmas.

Deleted Accnt

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:43 am
anyone prefer suburbia?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:58 pm
I don't care what anyone says about this film.
It is still my all time favorite film, anything done by Tim Burton is always Gothic, Sleepy hollow, Corpse bride, Edward scissorhands, Sweeny todd, etc.  

mario1108

Silent Manipulation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Teriyaki Tsubaki
I happen to love the movie but I have since childhood. The songs are catchy and the characters witty/amusing. I think that people associate it with the 'goth' culture because it is about a skeleton and takes place centered around a Halloween town.

As they say, everyday is Halloween! dramallama  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:34 pm
mario1108
anything done by Tim Burton is always Gothic

PeeWee's Big Adventure?  

GilAskan
Crew

trampyre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:52 pm
Neurotic Noir
I might be alone here but I prefer Corpse Bride over Nightmare Before Christmas.

You're not alone. I thought that The Corpse Bride was far more creative. The music was better, the art was better. Everything about that movie was just better.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:56 pm
GilAskan
mario1108

PeeWee's Big Adventure?

PeeWee's Big Adventure could perhaps be considered "goth" in the same way Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is Goth. It's so... odd, it's goth. Or maybe not?  

trampyre

Xx_neoreaper_xX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:26 pm
I wouldn't call it Goth persay but it does kick serious a**  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:55 pm
trampyre
GilAskan
mario1108

PeeWee's Big Adventure?

PeeWee's Big Adventure could perhaps be considered "goth" in the same way Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is Goth. It's so... odd, it's goth. Or maybe not?

Hardly. Honestly, I still don't think anything Burton has done is goth. He draws from the visual aspect in some of his films (more than half, maybe), but I don't see it anyway else.  

GilAskan
Crew

trampyre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:01 pm
GilAskan
trampyre
GilAskan
mario1108

PeeWee's Big Adventure?

Hardly. Honestly, I still don't think anything Burton has done is goth. He draws from the visual aspect in some of his films (more than half, maybe), but I don't see it anyway else.

Well, I pretty much agree with you. I think the gothest thing Tim Burton did in terms of stop-motion animation was Corpse Bride.

Nightmare Before Christmas, to me, is very Disney. When I see people with the Jack t-shirt, bag, or other 'NBC' paraphenalia, I think oh look, the 'goth' version of Mickey Mouse! LOL. That Jack face/logo greatly disturbs me. To the point that I cannot look people in the eye who walk around with it displayed like a badge of rebelliousness.

I do like some Tim Burton, but it does irritate me how some people consider his work the epitome of goth film. It really irritates me, actually. I do like some things: Edward Scissorhards, Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow and Batman. The animated stuff, while inventive, I find too cheesy (but then again, I've not seen all his animated works). Sorry I got a bit carried away. Just nice to hear I'm not the only goth who isn't a Tim Burton fanboy/girl. My 0.02.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:28 pm
i understand he's a fan of Alien Sex Fiend and he makes children's films, for some reason i find that mildly humorous.  

AEtherclaw

Insane-LuLu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:11 am
Ok... I know this is semi-old but i'm new and I thought I would share...

As a hard core Tim Burton, I personally love all his movies and have noticed that he does in fact capture gothic elements in his films. Most of his characters have dark secrets, a dark past or are just dark and creepy in general. He personally likes the dark side of things so he presents that through movies. I recently read a book called "Gothic Fantasy - The Films Of Tim Burton by Edwin Page" and in the first chapter he states [in his movies] Issues of alienation, insanity and a wish of acceptance among those raised in expressionistic and gothic surroundings."

The films aren't exactly "Goth" but they do capture gothic elements.
(That's my opinion, I thought i would share it with you all LOLS)
Xx~LuLu~xX  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:29 am
Total non-sequitur: I've just learned that Marylin Manson did a cover of "This is Halloween."  

Veruniel
Crew

midnightwings34

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:47 pm
well NBC does have "gothic features" bc of the way people dress and the way some of the stuff is

i still love the plot lines for all of his movies biggrin  
Multimedia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces