Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The Loss of Literacy in Modern America Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you blame for the lack of literacy?
  Television
  Computers
  Peer validation (If its alright for them to do it, its alright for me to do it!
  Laziness
  Bad genetics
View Results

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:11 pm
Agreed, but that isn't a good sign either. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:30 am
-No Artificial Flavoring-

You know what though? I still keep in touch with my first grade teacher through e-mail, and, she does not use capitalization. An awful example she's setting, 'eh?

Well, either way, that doesn't make her an idiot. She's a very bright lady, who, when faced with the internet, chooses to take the path of least resistance. Poor thing. In all reality, she is quite smart and polite. So, you cannot judge someone for lack of grammar, even though it greatly annoys you, for, they can be extremely smart, when given the chance.

A teacher?!! Oh boy, that's bad. That's really bad. If you can't count on a teacher to be literate and set the proper example, who can you count on?  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

x-ImperfectPrincess-x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:15 pm
Shinobi 1977
-No Artificial Flavoring-

You know what though? I still keep in touch with my first grade teacher through e-mail, and, she does not use capitalization. An awful example she's setting, 'eh?

Well, either way, that doesn't make her an idiot. She's a very bright lady, who, when faced with the internet, chooses to take the path of least resistance. Poor thing. In all reality, she is quite smart and polite. So, you cannot judge someone for lack of grammar, even though it greatly annoys you, for, they can be extremely smart, when given the chance.

A teacher?!! Oh boy, that's bad. That's really bad. If you can't count on a teacher to be literate and set the proper example, who can you count on?

Ouch a teacher.. I agree that is just sad.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:18 pm
Or maybe people are just too ******** lazy to type out full words, and marvel at the ingenius short forms that 12-year-old children invented?
Maybe they just don't value time.
Who cares?
What matters is that at least SOME of us can spell.

1578197a

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:57 am
Your Crimson Embrace
Or maybe people are just too ******** lazy to type out full words, and marvel at the ingenius short forms that 12-year-old children invented?
Who cares?
Exactly. Personally, I do blame instant messaging, because people just like to talk like that. They type in their "ty?" messages because they can't type fast enough...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:13 am
"ty"? In my experience, that's 'Thank You' in an online FPS game, when they don't have the time to type out a full thanks, due to the fact that they're being SHOT AT.

In fast-paced games and such, I usually don't have a problem with it, so long as its readable. THEN it has a purpose. But in a message board, it has no place.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:10 pm
Definitely not on message boards. I want to smack the people who type that way on a board. I don't even do it in a fast-paced chat room. I think keyboarding should be a required course in high school. If they're going to require something as stupid as PE, then they should require something practical like keyboarding. It's a good job skill to put down on a resume and job application.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:38 pm
DarkElf27
"ty"? In my experience, that's 'Thank You' in an online FPS game, when they don't have the time to type out a full thanks, due to the fact that they're being SHOT AT.

In fast-paced games and such, I usually don't have a problem with it, so long as its readable. THEN it has a purpose. But in a message board, it has no place.
well, yt? is "you there?" and it's the default AIM buddy icon. Anyways, Gunbound is great, it's my favorite online MP game!  

Zealot of Insanity

x-ImperfectPrincess-x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:49 pm
Are We Dead Yet
Who cares?

I resent that. I am twelve and I am not some illiterate idiot... usually. So I am not the greatest when it comes to grammar and I am not the best speller or typer, but I try my best.
I have a friend who is a "txt tlkr" and it pisses me off. I can barely read what the hell she is saying. It's bullshit and I cannot stand it. She really is a bad speller though. And she doesn't understand most of what is being taught to her. She is a bad reader, but none of the teachers notice or care.
She doesn't make an effort whihc really doesn't help.
But not ALL twelve year olds are just lazy little ******** like osme of the people I know.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:18 am
i think it's laziness and bad generics... television, computers, and other things chip in but if your parents don't care and you're a lazy a** you're not about to get up and read...

@Are We Dead Yet-- f**! mad I'm 12 I'm one of the top spellers in the class. I'm also acing english and have a teacher that most consider tough. I'm a good speller, I have good grammar, and a good knowledge of punctuation and the English language. I'm on the honor roll so you'd be best to shut up and know what you're talking about before making an idiot of yourself.
At least SOME of us know what we're talking about  

~prize_in_the_box~

[-T h e a t r e.G e e k-]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:51 pm
I myself have to blame the television/movies. For starters, there are movies out there such as Napolean Dynamite, which I believe, is a major cause for children not reading. This such stupidity poisons their minds! There is also the fact that most books published are made into movies that allows these lazy kids to go and see them. This prevents them from reading the novels themselves.

If I am to go and see a movie based on a book, I like to read the book before. It is always far more enjoyable that way.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:38 pm
I agree. Plus, the movie is never as good as the book anyway. Details and points made in books often can't be successfully transferred to the screen. Hell, it's even true with anime and manga. No mater how good an anime is, the manga it's based off is bound to better.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:16 pm
I'd point out, however, that after a book-based movie is made, a fair number of people go get the book to read, and compare for themselves. So in a way, the book-based movies help a fair bit.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff