Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Astral Selves Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Koigokoro Konjou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:43 pm
Yes in books. But that's not true. Angels can range in many ethnicities.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:11 pm
Tenrai Kado
Violet Song jat Shariff
Sanguina Cruenta
Angel looking?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

?

xd

No way; angels are ALWAYS pale white folks.

That's just plain ignorance right their. Angels can range in many different ethnicities. Not just one.

ARROGANCE! Not Ignorance. And Besides It was Sarcasm, Even I got it.

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

Koigokoro Konjou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:55 pm
I'm sorry. It's hard to get sarcasim through a computer with out hearing the persons voice.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:49 am
Oddly, knowing that so many have astral projected while I'm still stuck on it.. isn't as comforting as I'd hoped for. xD

Maybe I should start trying again?

I have a few questions I'd like to ask you wonderful people.

What exactly is your technique for traveling?

Namikikyo

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:58 am
You need to produce a trance state first, Nami. Start meditating to drumming tracks or try dancing until you start zoning out. That's what you want to preserve, what you want to obtain for travelling.

I actually recommend "exploring shamanism" by Hilary S. Webb. It's not actually shamanism in the proper sense, more the anthropological, but it's very good. For a short book it packs in a terrific amount of information.

I personally hate the term "astral". None of this has anything to do with the stars. It's so foreign to everything I do as a hedgewitch. Pet peeve wink  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:19 am
Sanguina Cruenta
You need to produce a trance state first, Nami. Start meditating to drumming tracks or try dancing until you start zoning out. That's what you want to preserve, what you want to obtain for travelling.

I actually recommend "exploring shamanism" by Hilary S. Webb. It's not actually shamanism in the proper sense, more the anthropological, but it's very good. For a short book it packs in a terrific amount of information.

I personally hate the term "astral". None of this has anything to do with the stars. It's so foreign to everything I do as a hedgewitch. Pet peeve wink

Huh. See...now I don't consider 'walking the Hedge' to be the same thing as astral travel, simply because I don't consider 'the astral' as part of the Otherworld - just as I don't consider the Dreamworlds to be a part of the Otherworld, OR the astral.

If you're using a sort of basic "Upper-Middle-Lower Worlds' structure, where is the Astral in that cosmology, for you?

Namikikyo:
I put my own method for travelling on my website (what seems like a hundred years ago), but I'm hesitant to post it here. It may or may not work for anyone else.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:42 am
Sanguina Cruenta

I have a terrible time concentrating at times, my mind has to constantly be moving unless I'm dead tired. But then I want to sleep.

But that zoning out feeling, I think I know how to accomplish that. Last time I trance danced was lovely and I zoned out enough to get a vision before I collapsed. Then there's that moment before I go to sleep and such.. Drumming tracks without voices like Enya in them are a bit hard to come, though. xD

That book doesn't really ring a bell, but I'm sure I can find a used one of a book site. ((Can't remember the name of it, lol))

I can understand why you would say that and it's terribly interesting now that I think of it. I've heard some amazing things about hedgewitches and I was wondering if you could point me to a FAQ or show me some information on it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:01 am
Morgandria
Sanguina Cruenta

Huh. See...now I don't consider 'walking the Hedge' to be the same thing as astral travel, simply because I don't consider 'the astral' as part of the Otherworld - just as I don't consider the Dreamworlds to be a part of the Otherworld, OR the astral.

If you're using a sort of basic "Upper-Middle-Lower Worlds' structure, where is the Astral in that cosmology, for you?

Namikikyo:
I put my own method for travelling on my website (what seems like a hundred years ago), but I'm hesitant to post it here. It may or may not work for anyone else.

Morgandria, I understand your concerns. But, if it helps, regardless of it works or not it's still a learning experience I would enjoy having.

If it works, then I can travel. If it doesn't, then I've found another way that's just not for me that I can mark off my list. You know?

If you feel more comfortable PMing it, we could do that? Though, I understand if you're not completely comfortable with exposing it. I still want to thank you for considering. ^ ^

Namikikyo

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:15 pm
Namikikyo

Morgandria, I understand your concerns. But, if it helps, regardless of it works or not it's still a learning experience I would enjoy having.

If it works, then I can travel. If it doesn't, then I've found another way that's just not for me that I can mark off my list. You know?

If you feel more comfortable PMing it, we could do that? Though, I understand if you're not completely comfortable with exposing it. I still want to thank you for considering. ^ ^

http://www.witchscauldron.net/cauldron/astralproj.htm

It's available publicly on my website, so it isn't a huge concern. It's how I've gone about it in the past - I do not do as much with this sort of thing anymore - but it is really only my personal method. I do hope it brings you some success, though.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:14 pm
Namikikyo
Oddly, knowing that so many have astral projected while I'm still stuck on it.. isn't as comforting as I'd hoped for. xD

Maybe I should start trying again?

I have a few questions I'd like to ask you wonderful people.

What exactly is your technique for traveling?

best way i can descirbe it is to step "between" when you are on the cusp of sleep and wakefulness, the trance like state you have right before you acually fall asleep.

also try to step into it during meditation which is achived sometimes by a number of way prehaps the easiest being the way i've done so in yoga:

Lie in "corpse" pose that is on you back, legs shoulder length or so apart arms out at the sides. and then slowly relax each part of the body inturn, while breathing in and then out rythmically, starting from the crown of you head and slowly going all the way down to your feet and FEEL the tension ease from you as you do so. once you relax focus you eyes kindarolling them to look at you 3rd eye chakara area, and focus there , you will know when you can step over from there.  

surukio

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:57 am
okay this is going to sound like a newbish question but what is the mechanics of astral projection? What part of one's self leaves the body? Can one project anywhere or are there limits? How does one verify the experience actually took place and it was just not a "daydream"? I don't doubt that it's possible. I remember my pastor talking about doing this off-handedly but didn't go into too much detail about it other than that astral travel is confirmed for him.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:03 am
Morgandria
Sanguina Cruenta

There are no star places I know of. That's why I hate the term. It means nothing to me, and no one has indicated to me that it's a particular place, merely a term for out-of-body travel. If it means somewhere particular, then I am intrigued.

The upper-middle-lower is a nice basic generalised structure but there are more places I know of, some of which I go to and some of which I don't. Some would easily fit into the upper-middle-lower structure and others are a mix. There are at least nine. There is one I might equate to "astral" but there are no stars, or frankly much of anything else.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:34 am
Sanguina Cruenta

There are no star places I know of. That's why I hate the term. It means nothing to me, and no one has indicated to me that it's a particular place, merely a term for out-of-body travel. If it means somewhere particular, then I am intrigued.

The upper-middle-lower is a nice basic generalised structure but there are more places I know of, some of which I go to and some of which I don't. Some would easily fit into the upper-middle-lower structure and others are a mix. There are at least nine. There is one I might equate to "astral" but there are no stars, or frankly much of anything else.

I agree with you that in some ways the plane is ill-named - it has nothing to do with stars, at all, but a great deal to do with light - but we're going back as far as classical Greek thought here. Stars being bodies of light is where the term originated, as far as I know - a plane of spirit where one cannot travel in a physical body, but only in a body of light.

By its' classical definition, it technically might fit as a part of the Upper Worlds - the Astral realm is supposedly a layer made of quintessence, of spirit, that separates Man and Gods. It's been interpreted many different ways by many different groups and individuals, to suit their own needs.

I suppose it's likely my own experiences cause me to consider places separate, that are not really so. Maybe I see false dichotomy, dividing lines, where there are none.

I think part of it, for me, is I feel a distinct difference in the two modes of travel. Travel in the trance state, into the Otherworlds, is...solid, somehow. I am there - all of me - and it's quite possible to get lost - there's no safety net. In the astral, your body is an anchor - literally you are tethered, corded to your life-force. It's surreal - not solid - and not all of me is there.

I don't know that I really make any sense at this point - it's difficult to describe.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:10 pm
rmcdra
okay this is going to sound like a newbish question but what is the mechanics of astral projection? What part of one's self leaves the body? Can one project anywhere or are there limits? How does one verify the experience actually took place and it was just not a "daydream"? I don't doubt that it's possible. I remember my pastor talking about doing this off-handedly but didn't go into too much detail about it other than that astral travel is confirmed for him.

the name of which part leaves varies from culture to culture. but most basically it the part containing the personality and conciousness

Astral travels feel different then days dreams to me then again my day dream are produced by me like an in the mind RPG, astral travel doesn't seem like this.

limits, i think that depends on the person, their experiance and other factors that are unique to that person.  

surukio

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:34 pm
Morgandria
By its' classical definition, it technically might fit as a part of the Upper Worlds - the Astral realm is supposedly a layer made of quintessence, of spirit, that separates Man and Gods. It's been interpreted many different ways by many different groups and individuals, to suit their own needs.

Interesting... I know three places that might sort of apply to. But then in the end it might not actually apply to any of them.

Quote:
I suppose it's likely my own experiences cause me to consider places separate, that are not really so. Maybe I see false dichotomy, dividing lines, where there are none.

It's human nature to want to sort things into groups. For a while I had some real trouble with the upper-middle-lower thing being so definite and set, with solid boundaries, and it was causing some issues with my understanding until I realised that it's a lot more fluid, and there are places that are like anchors sort of, that are in two or more places at the very same time and pull different worlds together until they stick. (Maybe this is what Wiccan circles create temporarily?) And someone somewhere mentioned that it's not so much like a layer cake as it is like a soup. I don't quite see "soup" but I get the idea.

I've been to Underworld, and I know Helheim is an Underworld, but I haven't been to Helheim. Maybe there are layers to the underworlds, or maybe there are like separate countries within the Under-World. I'm inclined towards the latter myself.

Quote:
I think part of it, for me, is I feel a distinct difference in the two modes of travel. Travel in the trance state, into the Otherworlds, is...solid, somehow. I am there - all of me - and it's quite possible to get lost - there's no safety net. In the astral, your body is an anchor - literally you are tethered, corded to your life-force. It's surreal - not solid - and not all of me is there.

I actually have a different thing I do that I think of as "projecting" where I'm sort of half-and-half, you know? in that I can actually be watching TV and taking some of it in and doing this other thing at the same time. It's not a trance state, but it is a bit meditative. So maybe this is that sort of thing after all, or at least has some similarities. I think of it as "projecting" because it reminds me of movie projectors throwing an image onto a sheet, because that's what I feel like I'm doing. As it is I came to use the phrase from a totally different direction from the idea of "astral travel" and I never really thought of them as being at all similar, so now I'm looking at it in another way, which is interesting.

Quote:
I don't know that I really make any sense at this point - it's difficult to describe.

I think all these things are pretty hard to describe really xd My own lack of formal training means I came to a lot of it by accident and I don't know any particular terms. Like I did something for years I just thought of as "that meditation thing" and then read a few books and thought "....omg".  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games