Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
NC5: Introducing an Old Man to an Old Friend Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:12 pm
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
I know steel cased Wolf is notoriously dirty and unreloadable, but has anyone ever reported the ammunition actually damaging their gun?

I haven't heard anything.

Apparently it's a bit more powerful than normal factory ammunition so I think some people suggest not using it in polymer frame guns.
That and the Aluminum because Steel is harder than Aluminum.
It can't be dirtier than the Czech surplus, which is corrosive, and I doubt it's stronger, either (not to mention the CZ-52 was made to handle slightly hotter Czech loads)

Actually, from what I've heard, only CERTAIN kinds of Wolf are particularly dirty. Their higher-end (is there such a thing with Wolf?) ammo is supposed to be good and not extra dirty, and their .22LR is supposed to be hit-or miss by batch.

I think the Military Classic, is the better of the selection.

Yeah, I've heard that the CZ-52 can handle the SMG rounds safely.
sweatdrop
I've been shooting those in my Tok!
Actually, the Tokarev is supposedly more sturdy than the CZ-52, AND with better ergonomics. But it isn't $150 wink The CZ-52 is made to handle hardier Czech loads, not NECESSARILY the SMG rounds.

OH OH OH! In The High Road, someone did a ballistics gelatin test of custom-loaded LRN 7.62TOK (Lead ONLY, not jacketed) and it performed very close to .357MAG! It met the FBI's 12-inch standard, and it had excellent expansion. The FMJ rounds are going ot pierce more with less expansion.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:25 pm
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
I know steel cased Wolf is notoriously dirty and unreloadable, but has anyone ever reported the ammunition actually damaging their gun?

Apparently it's a bit more powerful than normal factory ammunition so I think some people suggest not using it in polymer frame guns.
It can't be dirtier than the Czech surplus, which is corrosive, and I doubt it's stronger, either (not to mention the CZ-52 was made to handle slightly hotter Czech loads)

Actually, from what I've heard, only CERTAIN kinds of Wolf are particularly dirty. Their higher-end (is there such a thing with Wolf?) ammo is supposed to be good and not extra dirty, and their .22LR is supposed to be hit-or miss by batch.

sweatdrop
Actually, the Tokarev is supposedly more sturdy than the CZ-52, AND with better ergonomics. But it isn't $150 wink The CZ-52 is made to handle hardier Czech loads, not NECESSARILY the SMG rounds.

OH OH OH! In The High Road, someone did a ballistics gelatin test of custom-loaded LRN 7.62TOK (Lead ONLY, not jacketed) and it performed very close to .357MAG! It met the FBI's 12-inch standard, and it had excellent expansion. The FMJ rounds are going ot pierce more with less expansion.

Oh? Hmm, I thought the CZs were more sturdy...
eh oh well.

Holy balls! I want some of those rounds!
Just plain lead ball with that special powder ingredient?
Jesus Christ!

I wish Cz-52s were C&R. sad  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:33 pm
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

sweatdrop
It's my Military Classic that worries me. It sounds like it's being more brutal on my gun than my old Sierra loads used to be. Also, it's steel core and they don't tell you.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:36 pm
They ARE sturdy. but the Tok is (supposedly) sturdy-ER.

You'd better handload and know how to re-size bullets. They are just plain old Lead Rounds Nose, nothing special about them at all other thna being resized, as far as I know.

You wish is granted. The BATFE madea decision recently that CZ-52s were C&R applicable!
http://www.makarov.com/cz52/  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:37 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

sweatdrop
It's my Military Classic that worries me. It sounds like it's being more brutal on my gun than my old Sierra loads used to be. Also, it's steel core and they don't tell you.

O.O
They're steel core?

Where's that box of 7.62x39 and my magnet?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:39 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

sweatdrop
Really now?
....They make .30-06SPRG?  

uryu ishida

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:17 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

sweatdrop

O.O
They're steel core?

Where's that box of 7.62x39 and my magnet?
Yeah, I took notice when I started DENTING my armor plate targets.

Also, 77gr. Sierra HPBT did more damage to those plates than 174gr. Wolf FMJ. I thought that was interesting.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:52 pm
Seeing as I sent the payment and FFL off Saturday, and that id didn't move at all Sunday since mail did not run, I'm placing bets that he recieves it Tomorrow or Wednesday, which means I get the CZ-52 Thursday or Friday, really depending on how slow USPS is on delivering the money order. Gunbroker requires 2-day (or less) shipping, so that's what the estimates are based on.

Damn, looking at the bidfighting going on with a CZ-52 in "featured auctions" for $181, I got mine at a steal!

$150 after NINE bids

$181.51 after 13, with a Buy Now! price of $225

And that extends pretty much throughout the entire search of CZ-52s, a trend to either have duels over price or exceed $200 for Buy Now!.  

uryu ishida

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:24 pm
I also got some accessories for my Mini Maglight, namely an LED module (instead of it's shitty lamp), a pushbutton tailcap, and a kit form Maglight that includes and anti-roll head, multiple colored lenses, a pocket clip, and a lanyard (heh, it was $4.)
The LED is supposed to be brighter and use less energy than the lamp (I know that's the truth with my 2D maglight), and the tailcap switch just makes it a ton easier to use.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:23 pm
uryu ishida
I also got some accessories for my Mini Maglight, namely an LED module (instead of it's shitty lamp), a pushbutton tailcap, and a kit form Maglight that includes and anti-roll head, multiple colored lenses, a pocket clip, and a lanyard (heh, it was $4.)
The LED is supposed to be brighter and use less energy than the lamp (I know that's the truth with my 2D maglight), and the tailcap switch just makes it a ton easier to use.
My tailcap switch broke in a day or so, so I replaced it. The second one lasted just as long. I gave up at that point. The LED is really nice, though I think they could have made it brighter if they'd tried.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:33 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
My tailcap switch broke in a day or so, so I replaced it. The second one lasted just as long. I gave up at that point. The LED is really nice, though I think they could have made it brighter if they'd tried.
What brand?

NIT-IZE, I think mine is. If anything, I got a fiber-optic adapter (making it a bendy light, to be much more convenient for inspecting bores!)  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:20 pm
uryu ishida
Fresnel
uryu ishida
What brand?

NIT-IZE, I think mine is. If anything, I got a fiber-optic adapter (making it a bendy light, to be much more convenient for inspecting bores!)
No idea, I lost the packaging long ago. Black cap, red button, and a huge glob of semi-transparent green plasticy s**t holding the spring on.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:59 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Fresnel
uryu ishida
What brand?

No idea, I lost the packaging long ago. Black cap, red button, and a huge glob of semi-transparent green plasticy s**t holding the spring on.
I'll see when I get it all. If anything, at least I got the LED.

Tomorrow or Friday, the CZ should be in. Hopefully Tomorrow, as a great way to start the New Year! I'll also buy his only box of S&B, and find out about regular supplies and MAYBE sampling some Magsafe, which is a pre-fragmented bullet, that chrono'd at 2,399 feet per second, which is damn near 7.62x39 speeds. BUT, it seems that could be caused by some overcharging, because some rounds can end up with split cases and blown out primers (these test were done with a CZ-52 in GUNS Magazine, so the CZ would survive, but it's some pretty stupid s**t)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 pm
WOO IT CAME IN!

IT'S SITTING RIGHT HERE ON MY BED!

surprised  

uryu ishida

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:45 pm
And now for obligatory gun pr0n!

The package it came in/with
User Image

The pistol and cleaning rod
User Image
Yes, I'm a shitty cameraman. Sue me.

Ah, S&B!
User Image

My artistic side
User Image

Everything all put together.
User Image

I've taken it apart, too, a basic field strip anyway. He painted the sights white, so I'll need to either put black paint on one or scrape off the white paint so that the sights contrast. I couldn't get a good picture of the roller-locking breech, or the european-style mag release (which is a b***h, by the way)  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff