Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Why I am Boycotting Wal-Mart--A message to all artists Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

drunken goddess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:58 am
Theres not even one close to where I live. gonk The only time I can go there is when I'm in deleware or pennsylvania.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:26 am
jbeth
our walmart recently upgraded itself to a super walmart, complete with gas station. I don't usually go there unless I absolutely have to. I hear meijer stores (I think they're mostly in the great lakes region) are trying to be more like walmart stores - no full timers, as few managers as they can get away with, they've even gotten rid of their baggers and put in stupid turntable things with bag racks so the cashiers could bag as they ring up. I've heard neither place is really worth working for.

too bad meijer is so convenient for me to shop at. there are so many things there, and I get distracted by everything so that I end up spending way more than I should. >.>;

i agree wal-mart is horrible mainly there ther is mainly nothing there do buy, and most of the itesm that are on display are not fully organized and things, as for meijers, they are adding tonds of additions to the places liek more food stores inside but that is ok, i just think tha tmejier should not be a wal-mart. i prefer meijers bc they habve better brands of cloths and stiff in gerneral( the food mainly XD) as for walmart its usualy jam packed with people ther nto mater what the hours( well midnight of course and such) i agree as in teh endpoint.  

Kanhoro

Yuki_Yue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:49 am
Wal Mart sucks. Plain and simple.

They force companies to produce their products for lower costs than making them for that quality allows so those companies are forced to get cheaper materials or cheaper labor or both. Wal Mart kills small businesses because it is full of cheap (poor quality) merchandise that the other stores charge more for (higher quality) even if it's a dollar more people would rather go to Wal Mart than a store like Jo-Ann Fabrics because of price.

Most consumers don't know what Wal Mart is doing to the companies out there. But if they actually looked at it they would realize that Wal Mart is choking the life out of people that have pride in the quality of their work.

But my advice on the printing thing would be to find a good printing company that is willing to work with you, somewhere locally owned is preferable, so that cuts out shipping costs. Also, they would be more flexible on working with you and I'm sure they would not be bothered by your prints looking 'too professional'. In fact, I recently made contact with a printing company that is coming to St. Louis soon and I explained that I was an artist in search of exposure and did she think that it would be cost effective to use their company... Surprisingly she was very open to the whole artist thing and they've worked with artists before on this kind of thing. I don't know the name of the company off the top of my head but I can dig out her business card if you like.

But the thing is, we all go to Wal Mart for some reason, price, selection, speed of purchase... but whatever the reasons are... Wal Mart just sucks for the small business world.

Now, how do I go about getting in with Hot Topic... (lol) If other artists can do it, so can I.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:34 am
That's just cruel. I hope they get their cumuppence.  

Tiga Claw

150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:42 pm
15 Ways to Kill Time in Walmart

1. Get 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in people's carts when they aren't looking.

2. Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5-minute intervals.

3. Make a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the rest rooms.

4. Walk up to an employee and tell him/her in an official tone, 'Code 3' in housewares..... and see what happens.

5. Go the Service Desk and ask to put a bag of M&M's on lay away.

6. Move a 'CAUTION - WET FLOOR' sign to a carpeted area.

7. Set up a tent in the camping department and tell other shoppers you'll invite them in if they'll bring pillows from the bedding department.

8. When a clerk asks if they can help you, begin to cry and ask 'Why can't you people just leave me alone?'

9. Look right into the security camera; use it as a mirror, and pick your nose.

10. While handling guns in the hunting department, ask the clerk if he knows where the anti-depressants are.

11. Dart around the store suspiciously loudly humming the "Mission Impossible" theme.

12. In the auto department, practice your "Madonna look" using different size funnels.

13. Hide in a clothing rack and when people browse through, say "PICK ME! PICK ME!"

14. When an announcement comes over the loud speaker, assume the fetal position and scream "NO! NO! It's those voices again!!!!"

(And last but not least!)

15. Go into a fitting room and shut the door and wait a while; and, then, yell, very loudly, "There is no toilet paper in here."  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:50 pm
a new wal-mart supercenter opened up here yesterday. the parking lot was PACKED.....and the old walmart building is probably gonna stand vacant for a while....
...and the new walmart's craft section is tiny gonk ...the lady that cuts the material said that they're planning on cutting out the material section all together! THAT BITES!!!! now i can't do all my shopping in one place....  

Maki Minakoaino

ajazzydancer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:18 pm
just dont get your pictures done there. walmart just doesnt want to get sued. My mokm used to get the same problem with her photography but now we order through CVS  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:18 am
I live in the Uk, and we don't have walmart here.

But, I do believe that walmart bought out asda a couple of years ago. We don't have an asda near us... so does anyone know is asda is evil too?  

Modified Mummy

Belii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:41 am
Hmm, well I live in Adelaide in Australia and we don't have any Walmarts. In fact, I don't think there's even one in the country - I've never even seen one (except on tv ninja ) Adelaide just got its first Ikea this year sweatdrop We have Targets though, but they seem pretty good - most people don't mind working there - and I've got a number of friends that work there at varying levels who have no problems.

What I'm wondering about the 'too professional' thing is, does that imply they only print off stuff that is crappy? Could you get offended if they agreed to print off your stuff? If they'd ripped my photos in half, I would've like... punched them. Or started screaming and yelling my head off and demanded reimbursement or I'd call the police for destruction of property eek Same with throwing out my prints/film. Buttheads.

I hope we don't get a walmart ever - although I hear whispers that our Target is going to be bought by them... who knows?

Our biggest chains are things like Coles/Myers. They don't destroy they competitors - they just buy them out and let them keep their names. There are SO many 'major' chains that are all owned by the one place and nobody realises xd  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:46 pm
Both me & my fiance hate Walmart & refuse to shop there. One day they're gonna take over the world, I swear to god. I live in a small valley with small communities & they're building a Walmart in our valley soon. It makes me sad because buisnesses in the valley are going to go out of buisness & the two closest big towns are also gonna get alot less costomers because less people will have to take the 45 mile-120 mile trip to get things. It's a good thing I'll be gone by then, but still....I'll never shop at Walmart. Costco's better anyway.  

bunnehdeo

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:18 pm
Here's one more reason why Wal-Mart sucks: They hire illegal immigrants, and violate labor laws...they don't pay the illegal immigrants as well as they do the people who are here legally, and they don't give them benefits...they basically exploit people who are trying to save money up so that their families can have better lives.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:02 am
i'm so sorry about that. yea Wal-Mart hasn't been really fair. shoot i can't imagine what will happen if Wal-Mart takes over the world >.< everyone elses small businesses will lose...that' why i shop at other stores 3nodding  

sasam!-san

1,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

StarBreeze8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:02 pm
I wasn't gonna shop at Walmart anyway. Their crafting selection stinks in my opinion.

However there are a million and one reasons not to shop there.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:04 pm
sasam!-san
i'm so sorry about that. yea Wal-Mart hasn't been really fair. shoot i can't imagine what will happen if Wal-Mart takes over the world >.< everyone elses small businesses will lose...that' why i shop at other stores 3nodding

Yep, smaller stores have a more "quality" selection anyhow. biggrin  

StarBreeze8

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:50 pm
It's like off that episode of South Park, the Wall-Mart came and it was EBIL (Evil w/ a B)!!!! And also, the Wall-Mart cannot be killed or destroyed!!!! *GASP* Seriously, I bet if someone lit one on fire and it burnt to the ground, it would get rebuilt, AND quickly, lol.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff